The Mill

• RMweb Premium

Problem was, we'd looked at a couple of whitemetal wagon kits at Chris's before setting off and decided they were a pain in the ar$e. We were hoping for a box full of etched brass D&S kits but they were all whitemetal so we politely declined.

Evening all.....

Here are said pics of our progress so far.

On looking back at these pics they are pretty naff but as Jason said we were literally dashing out the door as I took them on my phone.

post-19016-0-25701200-1417390336_thumb.jpg

post-19016-0-53082800-1417390654_thumb.jpg

post-19016-0-83642800-1417390861_thumb.jpg

Now we've made a real start hopefully we can progress at a decent pace now. We have everything we need 'in stock' as it were, turnout motors, electro magnates & the relevant DCC wizardry. So watch this space.....

Cheers.

Chris

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

I got an ex LNER van built up (but not yet painted) yesterday which brings the total rolling stock of BR period wagons up to the heady heights of seven :)

I took longer drilling out tiny holes and making the underfloor brake gubbins out of bits of brass wire, tube and filed up spare etch than I did on the plastic parts of the kit itself. First time I have had to use a soldering iron for a Parkside kit :)

Three of them (21 ton hoppers) are weathered now, three open wagons of various vintages are painted and the van is bare.

No photos though, as I am in the office and at the end of the day, they are just Parkside kits.

• Like 4

Evening all.....

Here are said pics of our progress so far.

On looking back at these pics they are pretty naff but as Jason said we were literally dashing out the door as I took them on my phone.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Now we've made a real start hopefully we can progress at a decent pace now. We have everything we need 'in stock' as it were, turnout motors, electro magnates & the relevant DCC wizardry. So watch this space.....

Cheers.

Chris

I got an ex LNER van built up (but not yet painted) yesterday which brings the total rolling stock of BR period wagons up to the heady heights of seven :)

I took longer drilling out tiny holes and making the underfloor brake gubbins out of bits of brass wire, tube and filed up spare etch than I did on the plastic parts of the kit itself. First time I have had to use a soldering iron for a Parkside kit :)

Three of them (21 ton hoppers) are weathered now, three open wagons of various vintages are painted and the van is bare.

No photos though, as I am in the office and at the end of the day, they are just Parkside kits.

Hi Guys, hanks for some great track shots, it all looks good and WIDE but then it is EM after all, hahhah

All the best guys and more build pics please.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Here you go, the van (in blur-o-vision). This is some of the under-gubbins I made from bits of brass. And yes, 'under-gubbins' is the technical and proper word for it :)

Most of this will never, ever be noticed

BrownVanMan003_zpsf42d70d6.jpg

BrownVanMan001_zps17a79ac7.jpg

BrownVanMan004_zps6c740f45.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Cheers Mark, I wasn't aware of the Mainly Trains under-gubbins etches; will get some ordered. I was basically guessing with this one although saw a photo of a Tube wagon *somewhere* :) that helped

• RMweb Premium

Cheers Don. The whole wagon will be getting an undercoat of primer soon before painting, although I usually wait until I have a few things ready for spraying because digging the spray booth, airbrush and everything out is a pain.

• RMweb Premium

Yep; the dreaded AJ's, which is why this and the other wagons have Lanarkshire dummy hooks and not 3 links on them. Chris is fitting the electromagnets when he gets the chance; the holes for which (and the turnout actuation wires) have already been drilled. As much as we both like three links, using them would mean that we 'd be blocking the view of anyone who is looking at the layout and AJ's are the most unobtrusive couplers I've seen to date.

• RMweb Gold

... As much as we both like three links, using them would mean that we 'd be blocking the view of anyone who is looking at the layout ...

Oh, don't worry about that, I've tried to look at some small shunting layouts at exhibitions where the operators follow the 'action' leaving the viewer with no chance at all of seeing anything...

Yep; the dreaded AJ's, which is why this and the other wagons have Lanarkshire dummy hooks and not 3 links on them. Chris is fitting the electromagnets when he gets the chance; the holes for which (and the turnout actuation wires) have already been drilled. As much as we both like three links, using them would mean that we 'd be blocking the view of anyone who is looking at the layout and AJ's are the most unobtrusive couplers I've seen to date.

Hi Jason,

What is "dreaded" about AJ's, please?

Like your later comment, I too think these are easily the least obtrusive couplers I've ever seen?

Nice wagon btw!

Cheers,

John.

• RMweb Gold

Most of this will never, ever be noticed

If you let some of the kids, that were allowed to operate one of the layouts at Warley, to drive it around your sharpest curve, I think there's a chance that you would notice it.

And given the quality of the work, surely you should give it a go as it's worth noticing :)

Kind regards, Neil

• RMweb Premium

A 25 would fit in the headshunt off the run round but those massive things with too many wheels? Forget it :)

You mean you've commited the ultimate layout design sin of not allowing enough room for a pair of 20s?!

AJs need a bit of careful set up, careful handling and storage and a bit of maintenance, but it's a small price to pay for such inobtrusive, reliable and cheap couplings really. Good choice.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

If they are unreliable, I can blame Chris, just like everyone blames you on BCB :)

P.s. I ordered a ton of under-gubbins from Mainly Trains. After also spotting that comet do a chassis kit for the Stanier 2-6-4T and clicking on the link to see more details, I have bought one of those as well by mistake :D

• Like 4

Jason. I have used A-J couplings since about 1960, having seen them in action on one of the layouts from Manchester.  I wouldn't use any other.

My early couplings were made from 11 thou plain steel wire.  This on a train of scratch built Midland 5 plankers.  Unfortunately after all this time they have rusted so will need replacing.  It was quite some time before the penny dropped to use 11 thou guitar strings.  I went for some in Whitby to the local music shop.  His reaction was "not ANOTHER railway modeller".  I never found out who had been in before me.

Used them on Kirkby Malham mk1 on the exhibition circuit.  To see the bafflement on spectator faces was very funny.  There were no other automatic couplings like the A-J's at the time.  Sprat and Winkle were around but with those you had to shuffle the engine backwards and forwards to be able to uncouple and then push the stock forward.  Don't forget this was 1980's/90's.

Carrying the wagons to a show can easily couplings out of alignment, so be careful how you transport them.

Derek

• Like 1

Oh, and it also means that the stock can visit BCB :)

And return visits for big blue diesels?

Nice ideas, but why don't we just bolt 'The Mill' on to the front of BCB & joint it up to the brach on the over bridge? Then all the rolling stock can be one big happy family. :sungum:

AJs are for me the best looking of the auto-coupling methods but do require that bit more attention when installing & setting up.

Being new to them myself the first one i did was a bit of a pain in the arse but after a couple you get in to the rhythm.

Chris

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

You can get away with operating 3 links out front in 0 gauge  because it is so much bigger but even better is to hand the uncoupling hook to one of the punters, kids are good at doing it.

Don

ps I have seen hoops of carboard (cut from a bog roll inner?) used to protect the AJs in transit looped over the buffers.

Edited by Donw