Looe SLT

ajaxjones

It actually does look pretty good thanks :)  but it is properly mirror smooth :)

I guess the whole point of it being a test run , and I get some courage up to try the rippled PVA next too.

Next up though is the platform, and trying to work out what all those little white panels with the red slider knobs under the platform edge are?  

post-22615-0-71850300-1418954719.png

Now I know they are datum indicators, had to make a few !  Made from 2.5mm strip by 3mm long with a 1.2mm square red button. One of those things I will be making people look at even if they dont notice them :)

post-22615-0-95373900-1419220883.jpg

made about 8 to space along the platform and a hydrant gravestone as well for good measure. Hope to get the platform surface down and finish the ramp and railings next. Printing the real posters once I can get them scaled and looking realistic

Here is a quick shot with one in situ.

post-22615-0-86772900-1419221034.jpg

Hi Chris. it was an ebay buy, it had been something I had put on a watch list for a while and when it turned up, it basically instiagated this build. A Railmotor 93 is going to be on order and currently searching for a bubble car class 121. Probably following those up next year with a windhoff MPV, a class 37 on driver training and then a steamer and carriage for the beer line special. I'll have to start on a fiddle yard at this rate, who said a SLT can't be expensive too  :O

Cracking on with the platform, I laid a sheet of fine wet and dry sandpaper, 1200 grade in fact, and then sprayed with a couple of coats of halfords primer. Then I took a sanding block to that as well, and it very nicely left smooth and rough spots. The effect comes over as sort of old patchy concrete, i would imagine it will even out a bit more once matt varnish is applied, but so far a very pleasing effect. Also reading the latest MR I stippled the edges this time instead of painting them. Started with some khaki/brown on the edge and then grey on top with a white edging and some pencil lines. Again, should even out and smooth down a bit more once the varnish goes on. However I'm quite pleased even if the close up camera pics are a bit brutal. 

post-22615-0-52030800-1419380645.jpgpost-22615-0-45932900-1419380661.jpg

Next step are the bicycle racks, a conical planter and work out how to micro print the station posters that appear on the boards. I have photos of the current ones, but so far they dont scale too well when printing. Might have to wait till return to work for the office laser :)

Also think I have solved at last the railings. A couple of failed attempts with making them from pins didnt really work, it was far too fiddly to get the spacing, but I have found that http://www.djparkins.com/acatalog/Buildings___Accessories.htmldoes some brass etched spear fencing. So I will be able to snip off the spear head, and because they supply the top and bottom strips with holes in I can adjust the top railing for the right height and be able to represent that modern railing you get at most stations which is just made from round rod. Should look realistic instead of flat fencing or GWR inspired fences that are generally too tall. 

post-22615-0-27930900-1419381435.png

Well, 99% finished one end of the platform.. Items are all planted now. I made the shrubbery by first spraying the lichen with matt varnish and scrunching it together to give it some shape, then injected it with roket glue and trimmed with scissors so it has the look now of a trimmed fir. The old concrete posts I'm particularly pleased with. I initially just painted some square with Royal Light grey acrylic, but they looked too new. So I daubed them in gesso to give a textured look, then painted with some brown and khaki, then the grey again and dry brushed with some dark grey , bit of overkill really. The bike racks were made from plastic rod with the wire in so they would bend. The gate uses iron girder plastic rod and a security gate mounted sideways from model scene. Had to keep blowing the paint through so that the mesh didnt clog up. The light was one of those value range, with the top bent horizontal, some card at the top to add a feature, plus two rods for the hanging basket points. The bottom had a plastic tube added filed to give a rounded top more in keeping with original lights. Need to add a car park sign to the back still.  The planter was das moulding clay with some sprinkle added before the fir was planted in. Overall it does what I want and I can look at it and it reminds me of the platform end. Job done!  Moving on to the railings when they arrive, the posters and then will tackle the waiting room again as it needs to be taller. Pic below of how it stands along with a shot of the original.

post-22615-0-29184300-1419617084.pngpost-22615-0-66487100-1419616517.jpg

Thanks Gary and Brian 

hopefully you'll like the next bit. I'm tackling the fencing now. Rather than use something off the shelf that would be easy, or go for a scratch built plastikard and pin method that I tried.  

I thought seeing as it will be mostly hidden by information boards, planters and waiting room and no one would really see it, then I would go for a brass etch kit from DJ Parkins , modify it and preferring not to use the flat spears with the tips cut off, would fashion each rod from scale size brass rod so that they would be circular. 

So basically making it totally complicated for something that will hardly be seen at all :)

post-22615-0-98206400-1419730453.jpgpost-22615-0-08675200-1419730476.jpg

So for our younger viewers, do not attempt the following whilst clearing the shelves of the Christmas wine remnants and baileys...

post-22615-0-75021100-1419736061.jpg

decided not to solder this as it will spoil it, so hoping the super-super glue will do the job? Also a trim at the end is required to make all the heights equal. Only about 5 more to do :)

Well the fence looks really good painted, realised I could have tried some fencing that has the loops on the top and trim those loops off, but committed now to this for the remaining sections ......

Also discovered that the rail level datum markers are only 6ft apart ! So a few more of those to go in as well. Lampposts also have a lot more signs attached to them as well. Some that seem to have no use at all.

Back to the station in the morning for some more prototype pics. I guess what this lesson is that in your mind and modelling attempts one tends to simplify things, when in reality there is a ton more detail in real life. Unused poles, old brackets and bits and pieces all over the place, basically a lot more clutter of no real use. Looking across at another scratch built layout I can see it looks like a model now as I've only put in the things that I like, rather than the general evolution of a real place, where stuff exists that doesn't really fit, if that makes sense?

A little backscene project, the end of the platform has as police station, so I took a photo and intend to use it. However it has has a lot of the foreground over it. Fences, poles and the like tend to appear, so loading up an old paint shop pro package and using the clone tool and cut and paste I removed the offending items. Then a bit of scaling and adjusting the printout to 300DPI and I have a temp backscene to paste on. Probably a future attempt to scratch build something flat, but for now does the job nicely. Had to extend things like the waste pipes and paint doors in using cut elements from nearby

below are the before and after

post-22615-0-95307200-1420340397.jpgpost-22615-0-08891300-1420340418.png

Last job of the day was to make up some posters for the boards. For this I took some pics as square on as I could. Then in paint shop, geometric tweaked them so they looked square and resized to 2cm high at 300dpi. Printed them out and pasted them to some thin plastikard. Painted the back metal of course, and with some very thinned PVA also put a clear acetate on the front. Had a mishap when trying to paint the edges black as it crept under, so swapped to the BIC whiteboard marker and glued them to the frame. Not too bad and 100% realistic (until they change them again :) )

Plenty more to do, but actually surprised as they printed out on the humble inkjet, although might have a go next week on the works laser colour.

post-22615-0-91288000-1420346821.jpgpost-22615-0-14236400-1420346838.pngpost-22615-0-67479900-1420346860.jpg

oh, also printed them oversize as well, as they look better, the scale size for some reason looked too small and not like posters if that makes sense. 

Archived