Hachette Mallard

Well thanks for the tips. I would prefer solder as I see this being more permanent with superglue not getting on well with oil which it's likely to come in contact with I think solder is the only way.

I have never soldered a kit however. I will practice first making a few comet chassis kits and I quite fancy having a crack at this little gem from conniseur models. Looks ideal to get started.

http://www.jimmcgeown.com/Loco%20Kit%20Pages/Starter%20Loco.html

Just remember that, when soldering, more solder does not make for a better joint, only an untidy one.

• RMweb Gold

Rob

I think you have made a very wise decision. Learning to solder opens up many benefits in all aspects of this hobby.

If you are a total beginner I would recommend looking at Carrs solder and flux products as well as the Antex soldering irons available at Amazon. 40watt for 7mm ...... 25 to 30 watt for 4mm.

Regards

John

• Like 1

I am ok with soldering for decoders and repairs etc I have done a hell of a lot of that in my time but as for soldering kits and getting neat lines that is a new thing for me. I'm guessing it requires more skil that how you would use a blow torch on copper pipes :)

• RMweb Gold

Just the same Rob....... Plenty of heat for the job in hand.... The right flux for the metal being soldered so that the solder will flow.................asbestos fingers..... But failing that ....loads of the metal hairdressing clips

John

• Like 1

Enough heat, ultra clean joint and decent flux.

There are more fluxes than modellers, by the look of a few threads on here.

I like this stuff: http://www.7mmlocomotives.co.uk//index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=1&category_id=1&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=52

Does the job and not too aggressive, needing less cleaning up.

• Like 1

I was lucky: I found a Weller WSD80 soldering station, plus a dozen spare tips (at about £5 each normal price), on ebay, and won it for just under £80!!

However...I then proceeded to lose the tips, only finding them again by chance about 6 months ago. Rolls eyes.

I use "solder wick", it's like woven copper strands impregnated with some flux, you apply to the solder, heat with the iron and it "sucks up" all but a very fine layer.

Bought mine off a well-known auction site.

• RMweb Gold

Cab roof time.

P1090351.JPG

I managed to crease the panel around the vents so they'll be placed open to cover that one up...

P1090361.JPG

Looks like there may be some issues with the fit of the roof. It's thicker than the brass one in the DJH kit and I don't think they've made allowance for it.

P1090362.JPG

• RMweb Gold

A little more progress. Cab doors. The hinges here are a bit different to the Piercy kit although the etches appear to be the same. There's a big 'U' shaped bit of wire soldered to the back of the door. Whatever the original arrangement was it appears to be more dainty.

I added the roof rail now to aid positioning when I come to add the roof. The cab sides are thin and need all the support they can get.

P1090365.JPG

Plumbing added to the boiler and the cab epoxied in place. I got the roof (still loose here) to sit a little lower with a bit of bending and thinning the metal towards the centre.

P1090364.JPG

Edited by 30801
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

More stuff:

Tender chassis. Simple fold-up box.

P1090366.JPG

Then on to the cab roof.

This I think is going to catch a few people out, so beware part-built Mallards on eBay...

After a bit of bending, filing & fettling I got it to sit reasonably well against the boiler. and along the cab.

For sticking I decided to concentrate on the front edge first since that's fixed. Get that lined up & glued solid first. The rest of the cab can adjust to fit and be glued later.

P1090367.JPG

A nice thing here are cast springs & hornblocks on the frames. The Flying Scotsman partwork just had springs etched as part of the frames.

P1090368.JPG

That cab again. With glue set now.

It's going to need a little filler to disguise how the cab is actually cut into the boiler...

P1090369.JPG

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

A little bit more.

This is the magical bit of white metal that allows the chassis to attach to the body. It needed a fair bit filing off for the chassis to sit level. Also the 'wings' on the front of the chassis needed considerable butchering to allow the chassis to sit against the buffer beam. The insides of the castings must be quite different to the DJH original.

P1090579.JPG

There's some more tender chassis too.

P1090580.JPG

And a chimney! It looks strange with a chimney after so long without one.

P1090581.JPG

Edited by 30801
  • Like 3

• 2 months later...

Hi All,Been looking at this A4 it is a bit pricey but if you do not want to pay out for a complete kit it is the best way to make one.Has anyone tried the old Acme model,I bought one of the last ones sold by Acme before it was sold it cost me £290 a couple of years ago but you had to roll the boiler in different parts and solder them instead of a casting.

Ray.

I wonder if you could substitute the boiler assembly from the Hachette kit onto the ACME model?

The ACME one has decent chassis, valvegear, cab etc and a decent tender too.

Hi Jeff,

The Acme is a good kit but to put the Hachette  boiler on it no it would need a lot of hacking as the chassis is three parts.

Ray.

Hi Ray,

And why would  you  throw away perfectly good etchings?  I've built the Acme model which although quite  a difficult  build, can be  made into a very nice model. I don't  like to high jack other  people's threads so I'll send  you  a picture via a PM. cheers,

Peter

Could you send me one too, please? I've wondered about the ACME model, but accurately bending, mating and soldering all those bits has me scared.

Hi all,Peter the A4 I am making is Sir Nigel G.Have finished loco and half finished the tender,yours looks good.Jeff have a go depending on how many loco's you have done and soldering.But you have friends for help and my e-mail address is in this web.

Ray

• 1 month later...

Hi All

I Have just received issue 41, and i found that the bogie pivot and CH screw were missing so i rang Hachette and got another issue delivered, and guess what!  bogie and screw were missing from is one too

Has anybody else had this problem?

Not sure what to do as im not sure the women on the phone lines would be of any help?? apart from sending me more issues?

Many thanks

Simon.....