Hachette Mallard

Hi All

I Have just received issue 41, and i found that the bogie pivot and CH screw were missing so i rang Hachette and got another issue delivered, and guess what!  bogie and screw were missing from is one too

Has anybody else had this problem?

Not sure what to do as im not sure the women on the phone lines would be of any help?? apart from sending me more issues?

Many thanks

Simon.....

Dear Simon

Same parts missing from my issue 41. They are sending me a replacement issue, so we shall see !!

Regards

Jack

• 3 weeks later...

Right. Finally got round to doing some more...

These are the cab window frames. They're laminated with a sliding pane. In the Flying Scotsman partwork they were just a flat plate you stuck the glazing to.

IMG_20150102_160619.jpg

IMG_20150102_164356.jpg

Frames & handrails fitted to the cab. There are also some hinged cinder guards which don't show up much in the photo, which is a shame as they were really fiddly to fit.

P1090318.JPG

Boiler handrails and it's on to super glue rather than trying to solder to a massive lump of Zamak. Not confident with my drilling holes square skills I made the holes a little oversize so that when pressed against the boiler the handrail knobs aligned themselves.

P1090319.JPG

Today's handiwork. There's a bit of filler in some of the more gappy joints, especially on the valences.

P1090320.JPG

Hi. Small problem. Boiler handrails have been misplaced. Could you please advise which issue they were included with for a re-order as my mags are in Saudi and I am on leave in UK.Thanks.

• 9 months later...

post-27958-0-81530100-1467882731_thumb.jpg

'Tis looking the part.

Someone on another site has said to leave all handrails off before painting. Did you have to drill the cab rear top handrail knob position yourself? My cab has none, and since mine will (probably) become 60014 Silver Link, circa 1961, it will need that handrail shorter...and the ones on the streamlined casing straighter at the cab end.

I joined late, so all I have is the cab.........but today I got some paint stripper to remove the nasty lacquer.

When you arrive at page 369 you will start tearing your hair out.

Again they have told you to drill some hole  'after you have blanked off the

area with parts.  In this case it's the Brake Gear which you are told to fit &*%$"

Why didn't they supply the linkages and have us fit them  before assembly of

the chassis and wheels? You now have to drill a hole through the chassis at an

angle with a 2.1mm drill. I bet British Rail didn't assemble their steam locos in

this manner. 

• 1 year later...

OK. Think I've decided to run with this.

Hachette's build a Mallard in weekly parts. http://www.buildthemallard.com/

I have form in this area. having done their Flying Scotsman a few years ago.

I've got the whole lot from issue 1 to issue 130 all unopend if your intersted

Here's what your 50p gets you in the starting issue.

The an etch for the cab, and also a couple of cast (in Zamak I think) washout plugs (they're not in the picture :) )

This is a much better effort that Flying Scotsman's cab which required much fettling.IMG_0631.jpg

Hachette expect you to superglue it together so they coated the whole lot in lacquer. I want to solder it so the stuff has to come off. It's quite tough so Nitromors & elbow grease seems to be the order of the day.

I thought I'd have a go with solder paint here. Probably need to use les.IMG_0632.JPG

The cab folds up quite nicely but the bend is tricky by the window frame. There's a bit of a crease that shows up more on the photo than in reality.IMG_0633.JPG

Also keen observers will notice I put the washout plugs in the wrong way up the first time.IMG_0635.JPG

• 2 years later...

Has anyone done an inventory of which parts came with which issue?

I am preparing for Hachette F/S build which I intend to finish as one of the less famous A3 in late condition. It would be helpful if I could track down superstructure parts for the non corridor tender, although the scratch built GN option is growing on me.

If anyone needs similar information for the F/S please PM me.

Last part of the jigsaw, the boiler arrived this morning. My good lady can't believe her 25 quid bought a plastic item. I was quietly impressed. Having once built a V2 firebox and boiler from several half rolled etches, I appreciate the subtlety of the original. Perhaps I should try this on the prototype page, but having looked at lots of photographs, I cannot make out the line of rivets along the top of the boiler. Any A3 experts care to comment?