Industrials and 3D printing

Hello all,

Having been a bit of a lurker around this section for RMweb for a while, and starting to gain an interest for these 'little' engines, I had started doing a Peckett 1687/W6 in CAD to have 3D printed back in May. Now nearing completion and wanting to do some more models of industrial prototypes, I thought this the best place to ask an opinion on what next?

I have already been asked about a number of different ideas, from the lowest standard gauge locomotive (Peckett 1900), to the Cadburys Avonsides, and even the Mersey Railway 0-6-4Ts*, so I thought I'd open it up to those who know the industrials the best.

The list of suggestions I have considered/received is below. Please feel free to tell me if you would be interested in any of those listed, or even what you might like to see, and I'll see what can be done. Alternatively, if you wish, feel free to say 'go away'. I'm more than happy to listen!

Steam locomotives

*Avonside 0-4-0T (Cadburys locomotives)

*Bagnall 0-4-0ST (Port of Par pair)

*Beyer Peacock 0-4-0+0-4-0 Industrial Garratt

*Dübs and Company 0-4-0CT (4101 'Dubsy')

*Hawthorn Leslie 14in 0-4-0ST

*Hunslet 0-4-0T (Cadburys No.9)

*Hunslet 16in 0-6-0ST

*Kitson 0-6-0PT (CIW A No.5)

*Manning Wardle H Class 0-4-0ST

*Manning Wardle M Class 0-6-0ST

*Mersey Railway 0-6-4T

*Peckett M5 Class 0-4-0ST

*Peckett W5 Class 0-4-0ST

*Peckett 0-4-0ST ('Flying Bufferbeam')

Diesel Locomotives

*Hunslet Barclay Bo-Bo (Blue John)

*Ruston Hornsby 165hp 0-4-0DM

*Yorkshire Engine Company 'Janus' 0-6-0DE

As I have said, if there's anything you'd like to suggest, feel free to let me know. I'm really starting to enjoy industrial locomotives, and would like to help out others as an offshoot of my modelling. I'm not promising I can do everything, or even do it quickly, but I'll give it a crack as long as I can find decent plans

Thanks for reading

*Not necessarily industrial in the UK, but a few were shipped out here to Australia and employed by J&A Brown on their lines in the Hunter Valley. No.5 (actually Mersey No.1 'The Major') survives in the care of Transport Heritage NSW

• Like 4

Just an initial observation about one on the list. The Yorkshire 'Janus' is a good choice, however, it's difficult to motorise. Though big by industrial standards, it has two small, narrow, bonnets with a central cab. Squeezing a mechanism into one of those bonnets, presuming that you want the cab clear, is a challenge. I know, I've built two of the Judith Edge kits (excellent kits btw).

Just something to consider.

From a purely selfish viewpoint I'd quite like one of these...but there's no rtr chassis which comes close, unfortunately! 

AB-2350-Belvoir.jpg

Other suggestions would be a small "R2" Peckett or  0-4-0 Avonside saddle tank (with angular tank).

Although I think if it were up to me I would choose a Hudswell Clarke 0-6-0 side tank (such as Sir Thomas,  NCB 140 etc) and use the electrotren chassis to motorise it. 

Just a thought. 

Paul A. 

Paul A. 

• Like 1

How has your Pecket come out?

GordonA

Bristol

Gordon,

The Peckett hasn't come out yet, as I have been very restricted on time this year. It is near completion, barring the springs, firebox controls and the cab sandboxes. Apart from that, it is there.

As I can't currently build it up and test it due to a lack of a railway, if someone would like to test print it and assemble it, they can PM me and I'd be more than happy to comply.

Edited by 69843

From a purely selfish viewpoint I'd quite like one of these...but there's no rtr chassis which comes close, unfortunately! 

Other suggestions would be a small "R2" Peckett or  0-4-0 Avonside saddle tank (with angular tank).

Although I think if it were up to me I would choose a Hudswell Clarke 0-6-0 side tank (such as Sir Thomas,  NCB 140 etc) and use the electrotren chassis to motorise it. 

Just a thought. 

Paul A. 

Paul,

I think the Andrew Barclay 0-6-0ST could be a viable option, as could the R2 and the Hudswell Clarke. The Avonside, I presume, is this design?

As to frames, they will be part of the 'kit'. I can do versions as 'sprung' (requiring hornblocks) or unsprung, and in OO, EM or P4. They would only need wheels, bearings, a motor and gearbox to complete them.

Yes, that's the Avonside design I was referring to, not available as a kit in any form as far as I'm aware - although neither are any of the others I mentioned!

Paul A. 

Good, glad I got that right. I will investigate all those options as said, and see what can be done

We actually have one preserved in NSW, as well as a locally built clone. That is helpful for details and info, as it is only then a 200-odd km trip instead of a 16,000-odd km trip for detail photos.

http://www.australiansteam.com/Kathleen.htm

http://www.australiansteam.com/Marjorie.htm

Hi 69843,

as a lad from the North East i would love to have a Peckett W5 and W6.

Some nice RSH or Hawthorn Leslie 16" and 18" saddle tanks would be good also.

Also NCB Ashington RSH side tanks would be nteresting to me.

Regards,

Trev.

Trev.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Diesel Locomotives

*Hunslet Barclay Bo-Bo (Blue John)

*Ruston Hornsby 165hp 0-4-0DM

*Yorkshire Engine Company 'Janus' 0-6-0DE

I know that a reasonable number of folk aren't keen to build etched brass kits, but there are kits for the R&H 165DM and Taurus (Judith Edge) and there is a kit in development for Blue John (PHD)

Ruston 165DM

post-408-0-69748900-1410479212.jpg

YE Janus - must get round to finishing this some time............

post-408-0-33951300-1410479227_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 3

I know that a reasonable number of folk aren't keen to build etched brass kits, but there are kits for the R&H 165DM and Taurus (Judith Edge) and there is a kit in development for Blue John (PHD)

Ruston 165DM

YE Janus - must get round to finishing this some time............

Cheers,

Mick

Mick,

I am aware of the excellent Judith Edge kits, and I wish them all the best with their endeavours. I don't want to encroach too much on their market, but the two mentioned were ones I have been specifically asked about. They really do some fantastic kits. Pete's Blue John is a new one to me however. 

The main reason for doing 3D printed versions is that I have had people ask me about doing near-complete locomotives (apart from running gear and certain details) for a more entry level model. For someone who is currently in the young genre of modellers, and is not currently that good with etched kits, I felt that this would be a way to help those who might want a model of a particular class, but is currently unable to build an etched kit or scratchbuild for whatever reason.

• Like 2

Hi 69843,

as a lad from the North East i would love to have a Peckett W5 and W6.

Some nice RSH or Hawthorn Leslie 16" and 18" saddle tanks would be good also.

Also NCB Ashington RSH side tanks would be nteresting to me.

Regards,

Trev.

Trev.

Trev,

I'll pass these shots of the W6 on for you, showing the locomotive and associated pieces, and the detail components. The bottom half of the boiler is a plug in component, allowing for easier assembly of the drive train, and has the cradle for a Mashima 1015/1020 motor already inbuilt.

post-14921-0-63032000-1410496561_thumb.jpg

post-14921-0-44508500-1410496569_thumb.jpg

post-14921-0-18166900-1410496556_thumb.jpg

I shall investigate the possibility of the other suggestions

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I drive past one of these Andrew Barclays every day so you never know.

AB-2350-Belvoir.jpg

Just a thought. 

Paul A. 

Paul A.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Have considered the Hunslet 18 inch 0-6-0ST Austerity ???  or the Class 50550 ??

Thanks,

Trainman 119

The Austerity I am leaving for DJModels to do, and as the 50550 is very close in design, it might appeal to Dave to do it.

The 16" is a bit of a uniques story, as I will be doing it in OO and HO, due to the only standard gauge Hunslet 0-6-0ST (PWD79 'Plum') in Australia being a 16" at the NSW Rail Transport Museum, and is easy for me, as a volunteer, to access. Same with the Mersey Tank

• 4 weeks later...

Just a thought on the design of these 3d-printed kits:

Why not produce them as multi-piece kits? An advantage of this would be that you could dry fit the parts, spray paint them and assemble them with super-glue. This avoids the problem of trying to mask parts of the body to spray paint.

So, a body might be broken down into major components such as:

- Component - colour

- Bufferbeams - red
- Footplate - black

- Smokebox + chimney - black

- boiler/tanks/cab - green

- cab roof - black

• Like 1

Just a thought on the design of these 3d-printed kits:

Why not produce them as multi-piece kits? An advantage of this would be that you could dry fit the parts, spray paint them and assemble them with super-glue. This avoids the problem of trying to mask parts of the body to spray paint.

So, a body might be broken down into major components such as:

- Component - colour

- Bufferbeams - red

- Footplate - black

- Smokebox + chimney - black

- boiler/tanks/cab - green

- cab roof - black

That's part of the plan.

The idea is to have two versions of the model (where possible). For example, the Peckett W6 as shown above is in a pretty standard configuration for an 'assembled' model, but I also plan to do it as a kit to allow as many variations to be included in the one pack as possible. Variations including the following are planned:

*Long tank

*Short tank

*Tall chimney

*Short chimney

*Early (round window) cab

*Late (square window) cab

*Running plate toolboxes

*Buffer style

Basically the core section would be the boiler (under the saddle tank, plus the lower half), running plate, frames and bufferbeams, with the rest being reconfigurable to represent some of the individualised members of the class. The low-frame W6(S) is planned as well

As to the others, I hope to start the PoP Bagnalls as soon as I can find a copy of the plans, and will probably be started after the 16" Hunslet, or the Mersey 0-6-4T (depending on what I feel like/what you all want me to do). Though it could also be the Cadburys Avonside, as I also have plans for it. I'll open it up to opinions, and I'm never against a good Monty Pythonesque "Get on with it!".

7mm/ft? No problem, although it will be a bit costlier (no idea on costing though. I will resize the Peckett during the week to try and get a feel for it).

As for you OO9ers, enjoy a relatively rare beast slowly going together. If anyone can actually tell me what class it is, I will be surprised! I will pass on the hint of 0-4-2T. I'll add that this is based on a real example, so there may be a few changes from factory spec

post-14921-0-22891600-1417176844_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

I must have been off building model aircraft when this was originally posted so this is the first time I've read this and I only found it by accident whilst searching google.

Did anything ever come of this? Was a working loco ever built and finished?

If this is still a goer I like the idea of the 3D printed bodies but less so the idea of 3D printed frames. I think they'd be better off being etched or milled brass.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...