6 Wheel Milk Tanks

Hi :icon_wave:

Could anyone tell me which types or diagrams of 6 wheel milk tanks were still in milk traffic in in the 1970s :icon_question:

Cheers Phill

A quick look at PB's site threw up:-

Ex-GWR 023,042,053,056,060

Ex-LMS 1994,2173

Ex-SR 3157

Ex LNER No Diagram No given

Some of the GWR ones were post-Nationalisation builds

The majority of his photos were taken in 1979 at Swindon Works- there had been one or two odd survivals until a few years earlier, such as the ex-GWR twin tank.

A quick look at PB's site threw up:-

Ex-GWR 023,042,053,056,060

Ex-LMS 1994,2173

Ex-SR 3157

Ex LNER No Diagram No given

Some of the GWR ones were post-Nationalisation builds

The majority of his photos were taken in 1979 at Swindon Works- there had been one or two odd survivals until a few years earlier, such as the ex-GWR twin tank.

Thanks for that Brian, but the majority on Paul's site seem to be withdrawn & from other uses i.e. waste oil or water.

Cheers Phill

Thanks for that Brian, but the majority on Paul's site seem to be withdrawn & from other uses i.e. waste oil or water.

Cheers Phill

Phil,

There are two separate sets of photos on Paul's site. One, as you say, is comprised of assorted ex-GW tanks in service use. The other is of tanks either still in service, or awaiting overhaul/scrapping at Swindon:-

http://gallery6801.fotopic.net/c20075.html

Hi :icon_wave:

Could anyone tell me which types or diagrams of 6 wheel milk tanks were still in milk traffic in in the 1970s :icon_question:

Cheers Phill

ON PB site the ones with photo ID MMB42827 are the nearest colourwise to the set used for the short lived Chard-Stowmarket working in 1980-81. I seem to recall that the particular ones looked line E70355, but had sliver tanks with blue "body work" like MMB42827. They had a logo, but I can't for the life of me remember if it was "MMB", "Unigate" or just "Milk". This turn wasn't in our link, and the only time I got the return for the week was just after the heavy snow of that winter when a driver and I traveled on the cusions to relieve it at Ealing (unusual), only for it to be cancelled every day (it was supposed to be Mon, Wed, Fri only for the return). With the fuss made from upstairs about running this on time it was no surprise when the train disappeared - I never saw it again.

Phil,

There are two separate sets of photos on Paul's site. One, as you say, is comprised of assorted ex-GW tanks in service use. The other is of tanks either still in service, or awaiting overhaul/scrapping at Swindon:-

I have now added to the collection "Milk tank wagons BR, LNER, SR, LMS, MMB" (C#20075)

The GWR and BR (W) will follow next weekend.

Please note that those at Swindon in 1975 were not necessarily condemned, simply present for maintenance. Interesting the way that by then the LMS versions had been transferred to WR and given the new pre-fix (as was usual with NPCS). In a recent exchange with John Lewis he mentioned that the Churchward brake rigged versions of the GWR ones appear to have gone out of use during the 1970s, although some of my photographs suggest they remained in use in 1975.

Regards

Paul

York

• 2 weeks later...

Last picture on that site made me do a double take. At first, I thought "It's a 33, but looking again, it's a 27! What was that doing on the SR as late as 1966? Thought they'd all migrated to Scotland by that date. Non-native motive power makes me think those tanks didn't originate from the west country (If they had, it would probably have been steam-hauled at that date)

Last picture on that site made me do a double take. At first, I thought "It's a 33, but looking again, it's a 27! What was that doing on the SR as late as 1966? Thought they'd all migrated to Scotland by that date. Non-native motive power makes me think those tanks didn't originate from the west country (If they had, it would probably have been steam-hauled at that date)

I think it may have been empty tanks from the dairy at Cricklewood heading back to the SR. The last 27s didn't leave Midland Lines (I think they were shedded at Wellingborough, or perhaps Leicester- certainly they were D15) until the end of the 1960s- I remember looking at the shed allocation pages in Modern Railways at the time, and wondering what these exotic locos and sheds were...I may even have got some MR from the period.

Archived