Reorte

• RMweb Premium

RIght, I've got a little stuck (so I suppose I should get back to what I'm supposed to be doing since I'm at work...)

Like I said I'm thinking of trying to put a bit of point rodding in next and have stuck together a few bits of fiddly Brassmasters stuff. As far as I've been able to understand how it all goes together there will need to be a compensator between the two halves of the crossover, but the rod for this runs right along the platform face and there simply doesn't seem to be room for one there unless it's sitting on the ends of the sleepers, almost against the rail. That doesn't sound right to me. If anyone knows what was actually done (I've not found a photo that shows that sort of detail, most historic ones seem to have trains getting in the way of everything :) ) or even by some miracle a plan of precisely what went where that would be great.

Thanks.

edited for a couple of typos, stayed up too late last night to see what the folks north of the border were up to.

Edited by Reorte

RIght, I've got a little stuck (so I suppose I should get back to what I'm supposed to be doing since I'm at work...)

Like I said I'm thinking of trying to put a bit of point rodding in next and have stuck together a few bits of fiddly Brassmasters stuff. As far as I've been able to understand how it all goes together there will need to be a compensator between the two halves of the crossover, but the rod for this runs right along the platform face and there simply doesn't seem to be room for one there unless it's sitting on the ends of the sleepers, almost against the rail. That doesn't sound right to me. If anyone knows what was actually done (I've not found a photo that shows that sort of detail, most historic ones seem to have trains getting in the way of everything :) ) or even by some miracle a plan of precisely what went where that would be great.

Thanks.

edited for a couple of typos, stayed up too late last night to see what the folks north of the border were up to.

Hi Reorte

Sorry I can't help with the point rodding problem, so this is just a belated hello and welcome to the S&C Lunesters.

Regards

Alan

• RMweb Premium

Thanks.

Hi Simon

There should be enough room. Point rodding should be below rail height.

How far is your platform from the running rail?

• RMweb Premium

Just a quick update to prove I'm still doing things (feeling I ought to say something every now and then is a great motivator!) I gave up scratching my head about the rodding and moved on to the embankment. It's a pile of polystyrene that'll need shaping when the glue dries but in the mean time my bedroom (handiest place to keep the layout) is a horrible, horrible mess right now. The stuff is everywhere, I'll probably be picking bits up for months, and shaping it will only create more. Note for the future - use a different material!

Just a quick update to prove I'm still doing things (feeling I ought to say something every now and then is a great motivator!) I gave up scratching my head about the rodding and moved on to the embankment. It's a pile of polystyrene that'll need shaping when the glue dries but in the mean time my bedroom (handiest place to keep the layout) is a horrible, horrible mess right now. The stuff is everywhere, I'll probably be picking bits up for months, and shaping it will only create more. Note for the future - use a different material!

Or a different room maybe, hahhaha

Pics Simon, we want pics please.

Bodge

• RMweb Premium

That's the only room with convenient space, don't mind the main room being a mess but wouldn't want to have to tidy up the spare room when I had visitors (and remove the layout, there wouldn't be room there).

I'll post some pics when it's a little more done, every small development surely doesn't deserve them.

edit: OK, some pics, since I've somehow missed Clive's post (sorry!) so a picture will be useful there.

Point rodding problem. The platform face will have to be where the bit of wood is, even with an overhang from that it'll still be quite a step over to the coach (included for that purpose, although the shadow doesn't help visualise it). I suppose the compensator could be the other way around but I don't think the rods would go over that far and the one photo I've seen suggests that the rod is on the outside by that position. Also hadn't noticed the wonky timber before.

post-22093-0-90226700-1411503454.jpg

Extension out the back for the embankment:

post-22093-0-15570000-1411503464.jpg

Unshaped polystyrene, ready to cause an even bigger mess (you're not getting a photo of the floor though!). The bit in the foreground is just a loose offcut waiting to be thrown away or packed in somewhere useful:

post-22093-0-26216500-1411503460.jpg

Edited by Reorte
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

That's the only room with convenient space, don't mind the main room being a mess but wouldn't want to have to tidy up the spare room when I had visitors (and remove the layout, there wouldn't be room there).

I'll post some pics when it's a little more done, every small development surely doesn't deserve them.

edit: OK, some pics, since I've somehow missed Clive's post (sorry!) so a picture will be useful there.

Point rodding problem. The platform face will have to be where the bit of wood is, even with an overhang from that it'll still be quite a step over to the coach (included for that purpose, although the shadow doesn't help visualise it). I suppose the compensator could be the other way around but I don't think the rods would go over that far and the one photo I've seen suggests that the rod is on the outside by that position. Also hadn't noticed the wonky timber before.

attachicon.gifIMGP0981.JPG

Extension out the back for the embankment:

attachicon.gifIMGP0979.JPG

Unshaped polystyrene, ready to cause an even bigger mess (you're not getting a photo of the floor though!). The bit in the foreground is just a loose offcut waiting to be thrown away or packed in somewhere useful:

attachicon.gifIMGP0980.JPG

Hi Simon

The compensator is fine as it is.

Would not the platform face have a ___---___ cut into it to dip the compensator into if required?

That's about what I would expect, that if there was a requirement for a compensator, that the platform would have a notch cut into it, with a wooden cover, or stone cover over the space where it is?

James

• RMweb Premium

I would probably have noticed if there was a notch all the way up the platform face with a cover (although the platform has been raised since the rod was moved away from there) but it could be a small notch just at ground level. Actually now I think about it even though the crossover is now driven from the other side if my thinking about how rodding works is correct there will still be a compensator somewhere between the two sets. I think another site visit is in order. Maybe I'll throw up a sketch here or in the pw area of what I've worked out, always nice to get a bit of confirmation on things at least.

Thanks guys, I'm learning that the easiest method of research is "pester people until someone (or lots of people) gives you the answer!" :) Seriously though having access to people who know stuff is one of the few great things about the modern age.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Simon.

Good to have you onboard.  Kirby Stephen (West) is fine by me.  We (me + Tender, a.k.a. Ray) spent a week in the station cottage at the far end and had a terrific week.  21st century running though but with Wednesday's Fellsman steaming through.  Best of both worlds.

Good luck in EM and I'll pop in and see how you're doing and no doubt pinch borrow some ideas.  If not, I'll possibly be making a nuisance of myself on a Lunester thread.  :tender:

Polly :spruceup: 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

The polystyrene has been hacked to shape and smoothed in a few places with some Polyfilla, and plaster bandages applied over the top of it. Vacuuming up the bits of polystyrene has also removed some patches of ballast, to the point where it looks like I probably overlooked them when trying to fix it in the first place. Still got plenty spare though, so it's not a problem.

I've removed a bit of the siding and its underlay and made a Polyfilla ramp to take it down to the baseboard, so that the siding will be slightly below the level of the main line once I've relaid it.

post-22093-0-09501600-1411683695.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I've done a little bit more.

Here's the embankment painted, rather too blue. I re-painted it greener with what was left of an old tin of enamel, the blue-green underneath was close enough to scrape over it thinly.

post-22093-0-00834900-1412103723.jpg

A while ago I bought a collection of static grasses to try out. I've mostly settled on the one below but it could do with a bit more dead grass in it (there's some added to the mix but it doesn't really stand out). This picture is about the extent I got through before using it up.

post-22093-0-55189800-1412103723.jpg

The signal is just a temporary pose, the loco another "to be renumbered someday". It's sitting on the relaid siding (which isn't actually wired back in yet), to which I've done a quick slosh of paint on the railsides, there's still quite a bit of weathering and detailing to go there.

edit: Now that I think about it perhaps a darker green might be better. Anyone got a static grass mower?

edit again: Maybe painted brown underneath would've been better too.

Edited by Reorte
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Well, I scraped off the static grass before the glue had set. It's left a few patches which may make a decent bit of variety when I redo it, but I need to put some more thought into exactly what. I'll have to have a play on a sheet of card before trying it on the layout again, and take a close look at what's on offer at the next show I go to. There's a danger of building up a collection of grass I'll never use.

After that I had a go at weathering the rail a bit more, and adding some paint to the chairs:
post-22093-0-84528800-1412123137.jpg

A few chairs need straightening out and some of the paint went on a bit thick but I'm pleased with the general result.

Edited by Reorte
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I've done a little bit in my continuing theme of "get distracted by something else before I've finished what I was working on". Another thread mentioned making stone walls out of bits of broken Polyfilla sheets, so I gave it a try. Obviously needs a bit of weathering but looks like a good (but slow) approach.

post-22093-0-89785700-1412727872.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Don't worry yourself to much about having to much Static Grass, once laid I just get some between my fingers and after dobbing a blob of PVA in places just dab on different colours and lengths for different effects.

Heres me adding Scenics to grass already laid for different effects, you will see how I got the nick name Bodgit.

All the best

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi Don't worry yourself to much about having to much Static Grass, once laid I just get some between my fingers and after dobbing a blob of PVA in places just dab on different colours and lengths for different effects.

Heres me adding Scenics to grass already laid for different effects, you will see how I got the nick name Bodgit.

All the best

Andy,  First time I've seen this video and have found it useful ... I also remember running Trebudoc with its wonderful George T station building in both formats.

Simon - apologies for butting in on your thread but admire you for trying what I see as advanced modelling so early on.  Cheers, Peter BB

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

A tiny bit to prove I'm not quite dead... I finally got around to fitting the check rails to the slip. One loco still derails when reversing over it but looking closely I see that that's probably the result of my bodged re-wheeling, the rearmost wheels don't quite touch the track and so the flange can easily ride over with a bit of pressure.

Morning Simon

A couple of pics which will help with the Point rodding

this first one is a crop of the second one it shows the rodding tucked nicely against the platform

.post-35-0-82484700-1415021734_thumb.jpg

Original photo

post-35-0-29609700-1415013665_thumb.jpg

Finally a money shot just because i can

post-35-0-10621100-1415013536_thumb.jpg

Hope these help

Paul

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I never properly said thank you for those pictures above, it's great someone in the position you appear to be in is taking an interest!

Interesting that the tattty little lineside hut is still there, I'd thought that that had gone, must get a couple of photos of that at some point.

I've not been 100% idle for weeks. I've re-grassed the bank with a mixture of different static grasses (it was too uniform before) and I'm much happier with the result. Some patching of the gaps a la the above video (cheers!) will finish that off hopefully. I've made a start on the wall too, the little bit already done has taken me a few hours but what's the rush?

Here's what the same small end of the board looks like now:

post-22093-0-05912100-1417463801.jpg

It would benefit greatly from a backscene so I may do a temporary sky one fairly soon (which means "within a few months" on my timescales). I'd just paint the wall but my landlord would probably complain...

Edited by Reorte
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

I've not updated for quite a while, and to be honest I've not done a great deal either. I tend to just work on it all when I feel like it, and do whatever I feel like (so nothing ever seems to get finished). With that in mind, I've started on my first attempt at a scratch built building, the platform waiting shelter. So far I've made two and a bit out of four of the panels for the front of it:

post-22093-0-57276800-1424127453.jpg

Carving the stone pattern into the plasticard is a bit tedious, so for future models I may well have a hunt for suitable moulded sheet. I've also not yet worked out how I'm going to approach the bargeboards.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

A bit more, carved out the front and sides. Some paint has been temporarily sloshed around the windows so they can be glazed before I put the building together and before I paint the rest of it, so I'm less likely to get paint on the glazing. So far I've not managed to work up the courage to carve out the entire back wall (and I've broken the cheap scraperboard tools I was using, anyone got a good source for something decent for this job?)

The sides are resting upright, which is why they don't line up very well.

post-22093-0-17808100-1425671322.jpg

Edited by Reorte
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Some more waiting shelter progress to report...

Back wall carved out and roof added, with paper slates:

post-22093-0-58640000-1426094634.jpg

First lick of paint over everything (other than the still-to-do crest and bargeboards):

post-22093-0-21242200-1426094635.jpg

Some tidying of the paintwork around the windows needed but it's looking much better with a lick of paint all over.

• Like 2