Martin Finney 61XX

This is the Martin Finney 61XX I am building, So far I have replaced the hornblocks with High Level Kits version as they have a proper bearing rather than just sliding in slots in the frames. I have order Ultrascale wheels although I still have another ten weeks till they turn up.

One problem I find with Finney kits is finding the parts of the fret, parts are numbered, if there are more then one part only one is numbered and the other part is unnumbered and could be anywhere on the same fret or another sheet. Also some small parts are contained in larger parts that are removed earlier in construction and you end up hunting for loose parts later.

David

post-186-1265231618299_thumb.jpg

post-186-12652316854669_thumb.jpg

On the 28xx i've started he did provide separate horn guides to fit inside the chassis that the bearings slide in, they seemed to work ok. I know what you mean about the parts on the fret as I don't think the fret photocopies had numbers on all parts on mine.

Are you building this compensated or trying to spring it? I'd prefer to spring my 28xx which is why its ended up on hold..

That looks like a proper radial truck on the back, i'll be interested to hear how that works as I have some 56xx tanks to do.

My ideas for a Prarie were to use the Hornby release of the Airfix body as I got one with a full set of Ultrascales a while back (the wheels were just listed as 'scale wheels'). I do like the Finney pony tracks though even if they are very flimsy until complete!

I assume this is for Aylesbury?

....That looks like a proper radial truck on the back, i'll be interested to hear how that works as I have some 56xx tanks to do......

They will work on the same principles, and will be broadly similar to the truck etches in the old Perseverance 56xx chassis, as well as the Bill Bedford one. Dave Bradwell's N2 chassis also incorporates a radial truck.

I was going to build the kit as it fell out the box with compensation but if I can think of a way of springing it I will, This is the first chassis I have built using the Avonside jig.

Yes this loco is for Aylesbury it will end up as 6129 or 6166, two locos that ran into Marlebone when it went Western region for a bit in the 1950s.

The radial truck seems to work quite well, in contrast to the Bill Bedford A5 chassis that i am building and seems just sloppy engineering, I am not sure if Bill test builds anything!

David

I am looking for photos of 6129 and 6166 in early BR black, can anyone point me in the right direction.

On this kit you get two cab rears one with etched bars on the the other just with holes so you can bend up your own bars using a supplied jig. I went for the later and thought this would be a pain of a job but although it took time was not as bad as I feared.

David

Hi David nice looking build but you will have to patient regarding the Ultrascale wheels as I ordered two sets of wheels in the first week of October and they have just taken the money two weeks ago but the order has progressed no further.

Just as well I'm in no hurry for them.

Darren.

I am not sure if Bill test builds anything!

I'm convinced he doesn't. The sprung tender I have just assembled for a Midland 3F has the spring fulcrums in the wrong place. The loco chassis for the same had hornguides that folded out to 6mm width but was supplied with 5mm wide hornblocks.

Best of luck with the A5 chassis Dave. It would be nice to see some pictures in due course.

Morgan

• RMweb Premium

Hi David nice looking build but you will have to patient regarding the Ultrascale wheels as I ordered two sets of wheels in the first week of October and they have just taken the money two weeks ago but the order has progressed no further.

Just as well I'm in no hurry for them.

Darren.

Darren,

I'd contact Ultrascale to check the status of your order; they don't normally charge your account until the goods are ready for despatch. The Post Office mislaid my wheelset, although they did eventually turn up.

Darren,

I'd contact Ultrascale to check the status of your order; they don't normally charge your account until the goods are ready for despatch. The Post Office mislaid my wheelset, although they did eventually turn up.

Thanks David I've just checked on the website and it still shows in progress and hasnt reached the completed or dispatched part of the progress yet.

I've had a couple of wheelsets before from Ultrascale and they've always kept me update on the order including telling me when they've been dispatched.

But even so at your recommendation I've sent them a polite email to check on the order.

Darren.

Hi David

The 61xx is looking good (I've got one to build myself),i see from your thread that getting ultrascale wheels still take some time . At present i am building a finney collett goods , the tender and chassis are complete with working inside motion (just been let out of the white jacket) and am now building the upper works. I hope to see more blogs on the 61xx.

Regards

Pete

I've just had a reply from Ultrascale regarding the wheels this morning at 7:15:blink: stating that the order will be shipped at the end of next week.

I just thought this may be of interest to people to gauge the order time which works out around 17 weeks.

Darren

Quite amusing to observe that every time Ultrascale manage to reduce the waiting times, people just pile in and make the wait longer again! biggrin.gif

Time it right though and you get them in 4 weeks! They have been up in the months category for a while since then though.

I'm convinced he doesn't. The sprung tender I have just assembled for a Midland 3F has the spring fulcrums in the wrong place. The loco chassis for the same had hornguides that folded out to 6mm width but was supplied with 5mm wide hornblocks.

Best of luck with the A5 chassis Dave. It would be nice to see some pictures in due course.

Morgan

I don't think he does as its generally designed for someone else.. His chassis always seem to look nice but practical experience always seems to show otherwise hence I haven't bought his 56xx!

Anyway, I look forward to another picture with the wrappers on the tanks :).

• RMweb Premium

I've just had a reply from Ultrascale regarding the wheels this morning at 7:15:blink: stating that the order will be shipped at the end of next week.

I just thought this may be of interest to people to gauge the order time which works out around 17 weeks.

Darren

Ok Darren, I'm pleased to hear your order will be fulfilled at the end of next week.

• RMweb Gold
His chassis always seem to look nice but practical experience always seems to show otherwise hence I haven't bought his 56xx!

Oh dear.

Oh dear, I did....!

Should I have gone to Specsavers Comet? ;) ;)

Yesterday I built the slidebars and crossbars, everything slides freely, I mustb admit my soldering is not as need as other builders on here, but I will clean things up a bit later

It's all looking good to me, David, and I'm sure it will clean up fine, look great when painted and run well. :)

I am building two of Bills A5 chassis, I set up the coupling rods on my Avonside jig then tried the chassis, I think it should be ok but I am tempted to replace the hornblocks with the High Level product, just to ensure evereything is spot on, I have already replaced the bogie with a masokits item.

I have also eased the holes in the centres of the Gibson wheels using a reamer and wheel set up in my lathe, Chris Pendlenton has trued and jig drilled the crankpin holes for me too so I am hopeing to get a perfect running chassis or two, as there is no outside cylenders or valve gear on an A5.

I am also temped to ditch the CSB in Bills kit and replace with srings for each hornblock, It just seems to allow for better ajustment, I dont want to get in to debate but is not CSB just compensation with bendy beams!

David

Archived