BR Locomotives in the Peak District

• RMweb Premium

There are no end of locos that worked through the Peaks in the 1950s/1960s.

On the Midland lines: The St Pancras expresses over Peak Forest were worked by Jubilees or Black 5s giving way to Britannias, rebuilt Royal Scots/Patriots and finally Peaks.

Stopping passenger services could feature 4P Compounds, Black 5s, Crabs, Jubilees, Standard Class 5 4-6-0s, Fowler 2-6-4Ts or Ivatt 2MT 2-6-0s giving way to Class 24 and Class 25s.  The Hope Valley also featured 2P 4-4-0s, Ivatt 2-6-2Ts, L&Y 2-4-2Ts, Stanier 3P 2-6-2Ts, and eventually B1s, Class 31s etc before the DMUs took over.  Buxton-Millers Dale would have produced LMS 0-4-4Ts of various sorts or the odd LNWR 2-4-2T in the early 1950s.  DMUs or railcars were used from later on in the 1950s.

Freight was mainly in the hands of 4F 0-6-0s and 8F 2-8-0s (massive generalisation!) augmented by everything from 2F and 3F 0-6-0s to LMS Garratts and 9Fs at the appropriate times.   Other examples include Crabs, Black 5s, WD 2-8-0s, G2 0-8-0s and 7F 0-8-0s and the odd J10 or J39 0-6-0 or O4 2-8-0 (at the extreme northern end of the area).  These gave way to 25s and 45s etc in time.

On the ex-LNWR Manchester - Buxton and Buxton Ashbourne routes Stanier 2-6-4Ts were common on passenger services before giving way to DMUs.  Freight would have included most of the stuff seen on the Midland lines except the Garratts and one or two others (2Fs?).

Diesels apart from the dominant 25s and 45s included 24s, the LMS prototype diesels, the Fell diesel, Class 31s, 47s (one of the named Western Region ones turned up at Gowhole yard near New Mills!), 20s being delivered, Hymeks on test, the Midland Pullman and the Metrovic Co-Bos (class 28).

Basically the world's your mollusc (I've not even touched on the Hayfield or Woodhead route services which were also in the Peak District!).  Pick a particular route and either do a Google hunt (E. R. (Ray) Morten's photos on David Hey's site are hard to beat for early 1950s views, try the RCTS mystery photos pages for late 1960s Peak District stuff) or get hold of some relevant books (Through Limestone Hills, Midland Through the Peak, The Foxline Publishing/Booklaw books by E.M. Johnson or J.M. Bentley to name but a few).

Simon

• 3 months later...

Other examples include .............. the odd........... O4 2-8-0 (at the extreme northern end of the area).  

Simon

In "Pennine Steam" by Kenneth Field and Brian Stephenson (Ian Allan 1977) is a shot of O4/8 63788 on a northbound freight at Millers Dale. It is captioned as 'a stranger' but may not have been a unique occurrence.

Bill

...these will keep you good for a while....be sure to click on the link to Wallace Sutherland's site too

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/72947-ici-buxton-tunstead-etc-railways-in-the-1960s/

http://www.sutherland.davenportstation.org.uk/ws-001.html

Dave

I was going to add "Don't forget the Cromford and High Peak', and list the engines that worked that. AFAIK, in the time period of the OP, these were L&NW tanks, LMS 47000 dock tanks and J94s.

However, in looking for pictures, I found the picture below. I know it's outside the appropriate time period, and this is going away OT (and apologies for that), but is that a Caley Pug at High Peak Junction ??!!

http://www.aditnow.co.uk/supersize/Cromford-High-Peak-Railway-Railway-Archive-Album-Image-34036/

From the shape of the sandbox and the cab, it certainly looks like it. Can anyone make out the number?

I was going to add "Don't forget the Cromford and High Peak', and list the engines that worked that. AFAIK, in the time period of the OP, these were L&NW tanks, LMS 47000 dock tanks and J94s.

However, in looking for pictures, I found the picture below. I know it's outside the appropriate time period, and this is going away OT (and apologies for that), but is that a Caley Pug at High Peak Junction ??!!

http://www.aditnow.co.uk/supersize/Cromford-High-Peak-Railway-Railway-Archive-Album-Image-34036/

From the shape of the sandbox and the cab, it certainly looks like it. Can anyone make out the number?

Could it be 56020 which was allocated to Burton-on-Trent in the early 1950s and could have been on loan for the Sheep Pasture to Middleton Bottom section?

Could it be 56020 which was allocated to Burton-on-Trent in the early 1950s and could have been on loan for the Sheep Pasture to Middleton Bottom section?

It's definitely x602x, Bruce. Given that the North London tank behind appears to be in BR livery, I think you could assume 5602x. The only 5602x ones in England ( I really don't think one would be sent from Scotland) were 56020 and 56027. On balance, I think you're right - it's probably 56020.

I'm still gobsmacked at that picture! Are there any records of it working on the Cromford and High Peak?

Edit - yes, it is 56020. There's a copy of this picture with the engines identified on this page - http://www.rcts.org.uk/branches/northampton/reports.htm . Scroll down to Monday 3rd March 2014.

• 4 weeks later...

The Peak District is quite a big place. For example, Hayfield saw locos not mentioned above - notably A5s, C13s, C14s, and LIs. To be honest I'm not sure what worked the goods trains, but the ones listed did the passengers before DMUs arrived, and I believe the A5s and L1s still showed up on rush hour trains after the dieselisation of 'normal' trains.

For goods trains I would guess class J11 followed by Midland 4Fs, but I've neither memory or photographic evidence.

Archived