LCUT creative

LCUT_creative

• RMweb Premium

Some time ago a part/almost completed kit for this was donated to me by a good mate from RMW. It is a L Cut Engine Shed.

image.png.a903dad17017fdfbc806be2e0e709dd9.pngThis is the image from the L Cut Site; not my build!

It will become the old Goods Shed used as the Dairy Tanker 'emptying' Shed in the Seaton Junction Up Sidings Dairy complex. I am using individually available parts to fill in window spaces and adapt ends. I am trying to find my pics of what has happened so far.

Here are the remains of the inside of the actual building on demolition....not a lot left for reference. 

17308566201_b4c6747f5f_b.jpg.5779a5fa66800761709a1826c07c182b.jpg 

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

Here are three pics to show the few adaptations so far. This is 4mm by the way.

Img_0118.jpg.f1b558d511d4857fa9b490fd9a75c9a7.jpg The left door will be bricked up and a lean to whatever it was and pipework added.

Img_0119.jpg.a2cbc5c71aede86cc8d9c961c0a5a229.jpg

This side will actually be removed/adapted and a platform fabricated. I wont have to bother too much as this area was covered and out of any site at all.:rolleyes:

1064000656_images(23).jpg.afa191cead1942a0468e32accbb4aaf9.jpg

The windows have been filled in, bar 1, as in the prototype, using L Cut Arch fillers. The lovely little store shed was made for me By Stubby 47 of the parish.

Img_0120.jpg.fb0ca93358d72983af462019a8fa8059.jpg

Fortunately I have quite a few pictures of most sides and the west, entrance end of this building from which I can take reference.

Enough now, but just showing the brilliant adaptability of the L Cut system.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, brossard said:

That will require quite a bit of interpolation.  I'm curious as to what you think of the shed doors.  I couldn't make sense of them so made my own from plastic card.

John

Fortunately I don't need any of the doors as this building was surrounded by later additions in a mish mash of styles as per the left bottom picture in a  Railway Modeller from May 2006 I think it was. The Dairy Shed is the building parallel to the tracks at the rear. This was a layout from a Club in Sheffield that I have never been able to get any information from despite contacting them many times. Shame really as they had got loads of detailed info that I have not found anywhere.IMG_0348.JPG.7e954cd6c13f03bd8536752d0c8fa2ae.JPG 

This is the west end just outside the shed front 'entrance'.

image0-002.jpg

Edited by Mallard60022

I plan to do a creamery for my layout, a modest affair.  I have the train, 2 tanks, a general purpose van and a 6 wheeled brake (to be built).   I've been asking around to see if anyone has a link to the Scalescenes kit that was in the Feb 2019 Hornby magazine.  Failing that, I will use a Scalescenes warehouse kit.

John

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/02/2020 at 17:00, brossard said:

I thought I'd share my efforts at a couple of buildings.  These have been languishing for quite some time as I got on with other things.

Single road engine shed (B 70-01):

My modifications are extensive.  Firstly, I doubt I can make a decent job of painting the bricks and mortar lines so I opted to use Scalescenes brick paper.  Joins are hidden by fudges like corner pillars.

I like the Scalescenes method of roofing using overlapping slate paper strips on a template.  Tedious but a good effect I think.

Interior is faced with SS white brick paper.

Downspout hoppers are from ModelU.  I used brass tube and wire and some plastic strip to complete.

Next the Country Station (B 70-04):

Much the same techniques as the shed.  I did do an interior using, you guessed it, elements from SS kits.  However, I don't do lights so the interior is just a murky impression.

Let me just add that Lcut kits are a very valuable addition to the modellers toolbox.  Well executed and great value.  There will be a lot on my layout.

John

Hi John,

Looking really nice! Nothing wrong with using wrapping papers! We sometimes also recommend the Redutex wrapping materials for those who prefer it.

Best regards
Jakub

15 hours ago, colin penfold said:

I am sorry to hear that. All the best to you and your family Jakub

20 hours ago, 88D said:

Sad to see that Lcut have been hit by storm Dennis, both house and business. I’m sure we all wish them well at this time, and that they get back on their feet without too much hardship. All the best.

Hi,

Thank you very much to both of you. We are getting there slowly. A lot of the smaller products that were destroyed are back in stock now. New machine is in place and we are slowly returning back to normal. 

That engine shed is looking ace. Yellow brick is something I still struggle with and you did it perfectly.

On 13/02/2020 at 20:02, Mallard60022 said:

Here are three pics to show the few adaptations so far. This is 4mm by the way.

Img_0118.jpg.f1b558d511d4857fa9b490fd9a75c9a7.jpg The left door will be bricked up and a lean to whatever it was and pipework added.

Img_0119.jpg.a2cbc5c71aede86cc8d9c961c0a5a229.jpg

This side will actually be removed/adapted and a platform fabricated. I wont have to bother too much as this area was covered and out of any site at all.:rolleyes:

1064000656_images(23).jpg.afa191cead1942a0468e32accbb4aaf9.jpg

The windows have been filled in, bar 1, as in the prototype, using L Cut Arch fillers. The lovely little store shed was made for me By Stubby 47 of the parish.

Img_0120.jpg.fb0ca93358d72983af462019a8fa8059.jpg

Fortunately I have quite a few pictures of most sides and the west, entrance end of this building from which I can take reference.

Enough now, but just showing the brilliant adaptability of the L Cut system.

• Friendly/supportive 4

• 1 month later...

Just to let everybody know we have updated our 4mm scale signal box interiors to be more in line with what we did for the 7mm scale version.

All instruments and the token machine are now resin 3D printed.

forum_I%2000-00.jpg

I 00-00 OO gauge small signal box interior

forum_I%2000-01.jpg

I 00-01 OO gauge medium signal box interior

forum_I%2000-02.jpg

I 00-02 OO gauge medium signal box interior extension

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Those signal box interior kits are very timely, I'm working on a small signal box at the moment based on a cut down Airfix kit.

Order placed!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I thought I would share my signalbox:

P1010132.JPG.5895cad632b57941ce436441851daca5.JPG

P1010133.JPG.a2adeead2086363031c1fae091c2ce55.JPG

It started out as B70-13L.  After getting it nearly finished my friend pointed out that the windows are GWR.  I was horrified so sent off for some windows that were more like LNER.  I found a few pics of brick based LNER boxes and chose details that I like from those (like the veranda and end down pipes).

I need to keep my eyes open for a water catchment barrel and finials.

John

Edited by brossard
  • Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Confession time Dave, I didn't paint the bricks.  They are Scalescenes brick paper!   No way I could do a better job.  Gutters are wraps from the Scalescenes signal box.  The down pipes though are the real deal.  I used brass tube and soldered on wire for brackets.

I make a lot of use of Scalescenes in all of my buildings.  They can improve the look no end and the kits contain a lot of extra detail.

John

• Informative/Useful 1

On 04/05/2020 at 13:25, brossard said:

I thought I would share my signalbox:

It started out as B70-13L.  After getting it nearly finished my friend pointed out that the windows are GWR.  I was horrified so sent off for some windows that were more like LNER.  I found a few pics of brick based LNER boxes and chose details that I like from those (like the veranda and end down pipes).

I need to keep my eyes open for a water catchment barrel and finials.

John

Dear John,

Looking excellent! Don't let anybody discourage you from using wrapping papers. I had a look at your other thread where you showcase what you are building for your layout and everything is looking really good. In fact we have been recommending the Redutex line of textured vinyl wrapping for our customers who weren't confident with painting the brickwork.

Best regards
Jakub

• Like 1

Hi @LCUT_creative, I hope you’re well. Just a quick suggestion which came to mind while I was placing an order yesterday — have you ever thought about making a sheet of correctly scaled window templates to print out, a la Peco point templates? I realise there’d be a bit of work involved in producing them but it’d be helpful for planning buildings which either use non-rectangular windows, or where the end user wanted to cut down the windows to make smaller ones.

Just a thought! :smile_mini2:

Adam

On 06/05/2020 at 13:15, brossard said:

Thanks Jakub, these kits have been a great help for me.  I never tried Redutex, maybe I should.

John

Hi John,

Thank you glad they were helpful! Redutex is great, not the cheapest way of doing it but its properly textures and has self adhesive backing. I wrapped few of our buildings with it and found it nice to work with.

Best regards
Jakub

Edited by LCUT_creative

On 07/05/2020 at 11:05, Calidore said:

Hi @LCUT_creative, I hope you’re well. Just a quick suggestion which came to mind while I was placing an order yesterday — have you ever thought about making a sheet of correctly scaled window templates to print out, a la Peco point templates? I realise there’d be a bit of work involved in producing them but it’d be helpful for planning buildings which either use non-rectangular windows, or where the end user wanted to cut down the windows to make smaller ones.

Just a thought! :smile_mini2:

Adam

Hi Adam,

Thank you for your suggestion. Never though of that! I may have to have a think about it. Usually I am happy to provide extra graphics etc if somebody requests. We were thinking of doing a "CAD" browser application for planning your buildings. That never happened unfortunately.

Best regards

Jakub

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, LCUT_creative said:

Hi John,

Thank you glad they were helpful! Redutex is great, not the cheapest way of doing it but its properly textures and has self adhesive backing. I wrapped few of our buildings with it and found it nice to work with.

Best regards
Jakub

Just checked out Redutex.  My eyes are still watering at the price.  I think I'll stick to Scalescenes.

John

29 minutes ago, brossard said:

Just checked out Redutex.  My eyes are still watering at the price.  I think I'll stick to Scalescenes.

John

Yes Redutex is relatively expensive, but one sheet does go quite a long way.  I have used it recently on several buildings on my own layout (see Layout topics Dewchurch).  It is easy to bend, cut and apply weathering to.