LCUT creative

LCUT_creative

15 minutes ago, Gopher said:

Yes Redutex is relatively expensive, but one sheet does go quite a long way.  I have used it recently on several buildings on my own layout (see Layout topics Dewchurch).  It is easy to bend, cut and apply weathering to.    

I don't know, the dimensions given don't seem too large.  In 7mm, one sheet might do a house wall, although I might need two sheets for a two storey.

John

11 minutes ago, brossard said:

I don't know, the dimensions given don't seem too large.  In 7mm, one sheet might do a house wall, although I might need two sheets for a two storey.

John

Yes sorry - I model in 4mm, I agree far more expensive for 7mm  

I checked the 4mm sheets, they are only a little bit smaller than those for 7mm.  So, I think the sheets are a better bet for 4mm.  Scalescenes brick sheets are essentially free once you've bought the pack.  I scale the PDF by 175%.

John

Sounds like a good plan.  The one thing I do like about Redutex is the textured surface.   I have always used plasticard on my buildings, the Redutex is a good substitute, but more expensive (but at least I don't have to paint it)   

I've used textured plastic sheets (Slaters, Southeast Finecast)  on previous 4mm buildings.  It looks good but does require a fair bit of effort in the painting.  I think the way Scalescenes brick is rendered trumps the texture.  But that's me.  I don't mind paying for the materials I need but there is a limit.

John

It is quite expensive but its an option one of many. I can get brick painted to similar level of detail but it takes me forever. Having something that I can just cut and stick to the building is handy even if its expensive. I appreciate if you need to do a large O gauge building it will get very expensive very quickly. I need to figure out how to press brick texture into paper one day. I may be able to make decent corrugated iron the same way.

Best regards
Jakub

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 13/05/2020 at 10:30, colin penfold said:

Im not a expert Jakub but I wonder if the greeting card industry has any technologies  you could adapt. They do lots of embossing into card and paper.

I think the could be a good start to do research. I would think they do it in a continuous fashion with rollers.

I have a general ideal on how I want make it. Ideally I would like to make from wet pulp in a form so that it has decent thickness. Barrier of entry is currently preventing me from doing much about it as I would need 2 metal plates engraved with the brick pattern to start with. I cannot justify something like that on a process that may not work. May also need heating system to dry the pulp quicker. I'm afraid it would make it cost even more than Redutex.

Best regards
Jakub

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Jakub, I think you are right to tread carefully into different tech.  The greeting card people probably have runs of 1000s so the cost of tooling is amortized.  Cards are pretty expensive to buy too which really burns me.:angry:

John

16 hours ago, brossard said:

Jakub, I think you are right to tread carefully into different tech.  The greeting card people probably have runs of 1000s so the cost of tooling is amortized.  Cards are pretty expensive to buy too which really burns me.:angry:

John

John, I agree. I actually tried making corrugated tin sheets while ago with 3D printed presses and some thin aluminium sheets. In theory it works but it would take so much time to make them I would have to set the prices significantly higher than anybody would be prepared to pay (not only that aluminium sheet is expensive). I would probably have to charge upwards of £10 for a single a4 sheet of corrugated aluminium. Where as with say Slater's making their plastic corrugated sheets, they already have a process and machines for that. Initial cost is still high to get the mold but after that they don't cost them much so they can sell them at good prices. This is why we 3D print all of our plastic parts as the initial cost of that is very low but on the other hand the product cost is higher than if I was to injection mold it. I would need 20+ molds to cover what I have now and that is still growing. The volume I can produce is also significantly lower and my time investment in cleaning and preparing parts is also significant. I can always buy more 3D printers to speed up the production but resin clean up is quite time consuming so that is the limiting factor.

Best regards
Jakub

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 1 month later...

Painting brickwork : paint the bricks ( slightly different shades) / vanish with some sort of clear coat / rub or paint the mortar between the bricks / wipe off while still wet.

Is that the correct procedure or are there some refinements I have missed ?

I have used Redutex on several models and in general I think it is pretty good.  However, and there is always an However, a) I found getting it was very difficult until I went direct to Spain and b) I found it very difficult to weather, especially with powders and if over weathered almost impossible to bring it back.

• Informative/Useful 1

On 27/06/2020 at 04:36, brian777999 said:

Painting brickwork : paint the bricks ( slightly different shades) / vanish with some sort of clear coat / rub or paint the mortar between the bricks / wipe off while still wet.

Is that the correct procedure or are there some refinements I have missed ?

Hi,

That is correct. Further step you can take is to dry brush the brick after doing the mortar wash. I find that sometimes the base colour takes on some of the mortar colour even if sealed well. We have a video coming on that actually so you will be able to see in practice how I do it.

Best regards
Jakub

• Informative/Useful 2

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

We are excited to introduce a new line of products for the 7mm narrow gauge. The parts and kits are sized for a typical O-16.5 loading gauge (Welshpool & Llanfair 2ft 6in railway, about 60mm x 80mm in scale).

The range can also be used for similar scales and gauges. Some of the parts are also usable for standard gauge 7mm scale.

There will be more products coming in future including larger engine sheds, goods sheds, and station shelters/small stations.

forum_B%207N-00.jpg

Link to bundles/kits

forum_NG7%20parts.jpg

Link to parts

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Looks interresting Jakub. Could you provide the measurements from the middle of the track (or the middle of the doors) to the end of the canopy and to the end of the wall on the other side? I am sure this is something more people want to know, so I suppose this info should also be given on the website.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Vecchio said:

Looks interresting Jakub. Could you provide the measurements from the middle of the track (or the middle of the doors) to the end of the canopy and to the end of the wall on the other side? I am sure this is something more people want to know, so I suppose this info should also be given on the website.

Great idea! I will get that done on Monday.

On 26/03/2021 at 15:48, Vecchio said:

OO gauge version:

Door centre to canopy end: 75mm
Door centre to platform end: 77mm
Door centre to wall on platform end: 50mm
Door centre to wall on the other side: 35mm

O gauge version:

Door centre to canopy end: 131mm
Door centre to platform end: 137mm
Door centre to wall on platform end: 88mm
Door centre to wall on the other side: 63mm

I will get that uploaded to the website as well.

• Thanks 1