LCUT creative

LCUT_creative

OK, usual warnings, here comes Kenton... and that usually means negativity.

I have been watching this topic develop and have to say was starting to disbelieve <<sceptic>>

Not having seen these in the flesh but with concept plans for a 2nd Module starting to evolve long before the first module is anywhere near complete (more of which in a later topic) a visit to the LCUT website stunned me with the cost of these kits.

Are they really that cheap? How can any business hope to make a profit with those prices? Wow I am still impressed and the website WORKS.

So having found something (more than one item) of interest I contacted LCUT with a question.

Expectations were still low - I am not one of these folk who expects a small business to respond to emails in a timely manner.

Incredibly almost by instant return an answer to my question and following more dumb questions from me a total resolution to my doubts. FIRST CLASS and OUTSTANDING communication. (All that extra time helping a customer make a decision - costs a business)

So now, not only did I want the product, I felt comfortable spending my money with them. An order quickly followed.

It is so hard to be negative and I am almost relishing the building of my kit - and that is saying something, because it isn't metal!

NB. The real point of this post is so I can follow this topic, and to bump it up the list so others might read and take interest.

• Like 6

I followed the same sequence Kenton and started with a LCut arch to get the feel for their products. I was sufficently impressed to place some follow up orders for their low relief warehouse and some extras for a scratch build i'm making.

I would suggest obtaing a set of their corner braces to aid nice square corners, i also use some strips of 1 inch by 1/8 thick ali angle about 6 in long in my building. See their cat parts 70-00 and 70-01 being corners and supports.

• Like 1

We will be adding the supports to relevant O gauge kits from now on and I will update website to include them shortly as well. All OO guage kits are already coming with support kits and corner kits. We have tried making it work without the support kits but they are now being added to O gauge kits.

I followed the same sequence Kenton and started with a LCut arch to get the feel for their products. I was sufficently impressed to place some follow up orders for their low relief warehouse and some extras for a scratch build i'm making.

I would suggest obtaing a set of their corner braces to aid nice square corners, i also use some strips of 1 inch by 1/8 thick ali angle about 6 in long in my building. See their cat parts 70-00 and 70-01 being corners and supports.

• Like 1

I would suggest obtaining a set of their corner braces to aid nice square corners, i also use some strips of 1 inch by 1/8 thick ali angle about 6 in long in my building. See their cat parts 70-00 and 70-01 being corners and supports.

From the excellent website they have listed all the parts included in the kit and it seems they have already included the corner braces.

I do like your suggestion of the 'L' ali-angle, but from reading the "general" manual (pdf) also excellent in detail including photos - it looks as if the square strip in each corner may simply get in the way of the angle. The kit I will be building is the 2 road 'medium' engine shed and as it will be for a BritOOModule it will be in 4mm. The key difference will be to build it dead-ended.

The whole principle behind these kits just seems to be "modern" and innovative. The use of a range of separately available component packs also really appeals and has great merits for scratch building/adaptation. Let alone potential for other kits becoming available - something that also seems to be moving at a pace.

But I am yet to have the pleasure of building it - so I am quite hyped up by it ATM.

Just as a small question regarding your experiences, what glue did you use. The implications are PVA as it should be water soluble and it appears to be white in the photos. Alternatives might be Copydex?

Yup PVA mostly with the odd dab of the liquid pin [instant glue] to speed the build now and then.  Just noted your building in 4mm while I'm in 7mm so any parts I note are with the 7mm notation but the equivalent exists in 4mm.

Ref  copydex if you look at my link you can see I'm doing some test builds using a mix of manufacturers and methods and I have tried copydex not to glue the shell together but for laminating plastikard onto a scratch built panel -- works very well but see my note ref evostik.

Good luck 

• RMweb Premium

Paul Martin at EDM Models sells ''Velo-Set'' which is a fast setting PVA. He started stocking this to go with the American style wooden buildings he supplies.

Glue here http://www.ngtrains.com/Pages/Glues/gluestools.html#Glues

Buildings here (note they are 1:48) http://www.ngtrains.com/Pages/Stoney_Creek/structure_kits.htm

I help Paul with the trade stand - we were at Kettering so you could have saved postage - or look for a local supplier (craft shop?)

Well still nothing but positives to post.

The kit "bundle" arrived this lunch time. That is fast by local standards and better than expected. Now to open it and to find somwhere to lay everything out while having another read of the instructions.

Jakub / LCUT,

Another quick question on your brick over bridge (LCC B 00-22).  I understand that the road over width can be reduced by replacing part LCC 00-89 with part LCC 00-78.  Can you confirm whether part LCC 00-89 is exactly twice the length of part LCC 00-78 as I can't see dimensions on your website?  This may seem a strange question, but I am contemplating using one of the bridges across a baseboard join by constructing half of the bridge on one baseboard and half on the other.

I'm also looking at the Country railway station (LCC B 00-00).  Do you produce parts to create internal walls?  Although they may not be required for strength, I am contemplating internal lighting and would prefer if only parts of the building were lit, which cuts down on the amount of internal detailing.  If not, I'm sure some from of plasticard interior can be created. 

Hi Dungrange,

LCC 00-78 will give you 79mm wide overbridge and LCC 115mm wide overbridge. Its not exactly half. Not a strange question at all! I actually think this is interesting way of using it. You could use the double deck version and split it in half which I think would work better. Then you don't need to glue the deck together as it is already in two parts.

At the moment we do not have internal walls. The supports and corners that come with it can be omitted. If you glue the whole building to a base plate it will then strengthen it. You will be able to see the joining lines inside but that can be solved by using a thick paint with some texture (think of it like plastering a wall to even it out). Then that will give you a smooth surface inside.

Jakub / LCUT,

Another quick question on your brick over bridge (LCC B 00-22).  I understand that the road over width can be reduced by replacing part LCC 00-89 with part LCC 00-78.  Can you confirm whether part LCC 00-89 is exactly twice the length of part LCC 00-78 as I can't see dimensions on your website?  This may seem a strange question, but I am contemplating using one of the bridges across a baseboard join by constructing half of the bridge on one baseboard and half on the other.

I'm also looking at the Country railway station (LCC B 00-00).  Do you produce parts to create internal walls?  Although they may not be required for strength, I am contemplating internal lighting and would prefer if only parts of the building were lit, which cuts down on the amount of internal detailing.  If not, I'm sure some from of plasticard interior can be created. 

• Like 2

LCC 00-78 will give you 79mm wide overbridge and LCC 115mm wide overbridge. Its not exactly half. Not a strange question at all! I actually think this is interesting way of using it. You could use the double deck version and split it in half which I think would work better. Then you don't need to glue the deck together as it is already in two parts.

Thanks, it sounds like your approach is the way to follow, as otherwise I would have some infilling of the deck to undertake.  I'm contemplating a pair of reversible modules as part of the RM Web Challenge 2015, although it is still at the planning stage.  If I mount the bridge across the baseboard joint, then I can either create a diorama for photography and home use, with an overbridge at either end (almost like being in low relief), but if I reverse the order of the boards, then the overbridge and road embankment would be a central feature of a plain track module with 'bland' flat ends that would mate with anyone elses modules at a modular set up.  Still at the planning stage though.

As a follow on question, do you produce any wall sections that are higher than the platform walls but not as high as a building?  In connection with the overbridge above, I am tempted to extend the wingwall on one side to create a short retaining wall, so ideally a panel that would match in with the posts at the end of the wingwalls in LCC 00-78.   I think that means a panel that is approximately 22 courses or brick in height (as opposed to the 15 courses for the platform walls).

• Like 1

I will be following that challenge, it sounds really interesting! We don't have brick sections like this but it won't a problem to make them. We could modify the parapet element, lower it to 22 courses and add interlocking to both sides. We are also working on retaining walls system at the moment. They will include an overbridge entrance as well. I will post a picture of the prototypes shortly if that could be of interest to you.

Thanks, it sounds like your approach is the way to follow, as otherwise I would have some infilling of the deck to undertake.  I'm contemplating a pair of reversible modules as part of the RM Web Challenge 2015, although it is still at the planning stage.  If I mount the bridge across the baseboard joint, then I can either create a diorama for photography and home use, with an overbridge at either end (almost like being in low relief), but if I reverse the order of the boards, then the overbridge and road embankment would be a central feature of a plain track module with 'bland' flat ends that would mate with anyone elses modules at a modular set up.  Still at the planning stage though.

As a follow on question, do you produce any wall sections that are higher than the platform walls but not as high as a building?  In connection with the overbridge above, I am tempted to extend the wingwall on one side to create a short retaining wall, so ideally a panel that would match in with the posts at the end of the wingwalls in LCC 00-78.   I think that means a panel that is approximately 22 courses or brick in height (as opposed to the 15 courses for the platform walls).

Edited by LCUT_creative
  • Like 1

Yes, I'd be very interested in a picture of your prototype retaining walls, not just for a Challenge module but for the layout that I am building in my attic: especially if they can be curved to a circa five foot radius.  I've not decided on how to construct the wall that I envisage.

Such a product range may even negate the need for a circa 22 course height section, which was only determined by the dimensions of LCC 00-82.

Unfortunately, I seem to be full of questions at the moment, but what is the length of the parapet section (LCC 00-79)?  I'm just checking that there is enough of a span to allow PECO 50 mm track centres to pass through on a curve and still allow for some overhang on bogie stock.

• Like 1

Yes, I'd be very interested in a picture of your prototype retaining walls, not just for a Challenge module but for the layout that I am building in my attic: especially if they can be curved to a circa five foot radius.  I've not decided on how to construct the wall that I envisage.

Such a product range may even negate the need for a circa 22 course height section, which was only determined by the dimensions of LCC 00-82.

Unfortunately, I seem to be full of questions at the moment, but what is the length of the parapet section (LCC 00-79)?  I'm just checking that there is enough of a span to allow PECO 50 mm track centres to pass through on a curve and still allow for some overhang on bogie stock.

The length of LCC 00-79 is 91mm. In whole on the deck you will have about 149mm (length) by 91mm (width) space for the track.

Here is the picture of a single section of the retaining wall. We also are preparing two entrances, small communication tunnel and double track tunnel entrance.

B%2000-25.jpg

As you can see we have managed to get it to slop back a little bit as a lot of retaining walls do. We are almost ready to release it. You could curve it on the seams between sections. This would give you the complete look but may not be suitable for smaller radii. Or you could assemble it without most of the recess by glueing the back directly to the arch. You could still slope it with the supports and then curve evenly.

Here is picture of a short section painted. Not the greatest paint job, I have went a little too heavy on the black. There are also some big ish areas where it flooded the mortar (my impatience). All I did was applied heavy white coat, heavy dry brushed the brickwork (why it flooded on me) and then blackened some sections a little bit (inspired by a photo of similar retaining wall I found).

Retaining%20wall.jpg

• Like 1

Introducing OO gauge retaining wall system

New range of parts and bundles of retaining walls is now available! Designed to be quick and easy to assemble but provide very good looking retaining walls. The range includes:

LCC B 00-25 retaining wall unit

http://lcut.co.uk/index.php?product=B%2000-25&title=B%2000-25

B%2000-25.jpg

LCC B 00-25 T-pack retaining wall triple pack

http://lcut.co.uk/index.php?product=B%2000-25%20T-pack&title=B%2000-25%20T-pack

B%2000-25%20T-pack.jpg

LCC B 00-26 retaining wall communication tunnel

http://lcut.co.uk/index.php?product=B%2000-26&title=B%2000-26

B%2000-26.jpg

LCC B 00-25 retaining wall tunnel portal

http://lcut.co.uk/index.php?product=B%2000-27&title=B%2000-27

B%2000-27.jpg

Two quick questions:

1 - Is the back wall of the retaining wall adjustable? I don't know where the prototype is from but it just looks far too deep for any that I have seen.

2 - I thought it wasn't possible to bend this wood, Yet that retaining wall communication tunnel appears to be quite a sharp radius form?

Two quick questions:

1 - Is the back wall of the retaining wall adjustable? I don't know where the prototype is from but it just looks far too deep for any that I have seen.

2 - I thought it wasn't possible to bend this wood, Yet that retaining wall communication tunnel appears to be quite a sharp radius form?

The back is not adjustable per se. You can omit the recess by glueing the back directly to the front. It is based on an actual retaining wall measurement wise.

You can bend the 0.5mm, 0,6mm and 0,7mm fibre boards. We use them in situations like this. The typically used 1.4mm fibre boards can be bend a little bit but that much.

Massive +1 for this company. Ordered a number of items late yesterday afternoon and delivered this morning at 10. Faultless and highly recommended. Usual disclaimer - no connection just a (very) satisfied customer.

Massive +1 for this company. Ordered a number of items late yesterday afternoon and delivered this morning at 10. Faultless and highly recommended. Usual disclaimer - no connection just a (very) satisfied customer.

Thank you! Great to hear everything arrived safe and sound and that you liked it!

• Like 1

The length of LCC 00-79 is 91mm. In whole on the deck you will have about 149mm (length) by 91mm (width) space for the track.

Can I ask what governed the choice to make the parapet 91 mm in length?

My understanding is that in 1:76 scale bridge piers (and presumably abutment walls) should be 30 mm from the centreline of the track.  That is, they should be further from the track than say a bridge parapet or platform edge. (see here).  Therefore, a bridge spanning a straight section of single track should have a parapet that is 60 mm in length.  If the track is on a curve, then a longer parapet would be required, but I would have thought that something like 70 mm would generally have been considered acceptable.

However, for double track the minimum parapet length spanning straight track should be 30 mm + 45 mm (assuming scale track centres) + 30 mm = 105 mm and if working to a 50 mm track centre (as per PECO streamline and the RMWeb Challenge), the minimum parapet length would have to be 110 mm.  To accommodate a four foot radius curve under the bridge would probably necessitate increasing the parapet length to something closer to 120 mm, although it is not critical.  I realise that I could splice two sets of parapets together and do the same with two sets of bridge decks, but would you consider creating longer parapet sections?  Better still, would you consider something that could be extended in the same way as your building roofs with a left and right section?  For my attic layout, I could be tempted by circa 170 mm parapets that would span three tracks.  I'll have another look at the top of your retailing wall tunnel portal for that purpose though.

Can I ask what governed the choice to make the parapet 91 mm in length?

My understanding is that in 1:76 scale bridge piers (and presumably abutment walls) should be 30 mm from the centreline of the track.  That is, they should be further from the track than say a bridge parapet or platform edge. (see here).  Therefore, a bridge spanning a straight section of single track should have a parapet that is 60 mm in length.  If the track is on a curve, then a longer parapet would be required, but I would have thought that something like 70 mm would generally have been considered acceptable.

However, for double track the minimum parapet length spanning straight track should be 30 mm + 45 mm (assuming scale track centres) + 30 mm = 105 mm and if working to a 50 mm track centre (as per PECO streamline and the RMWeb Challenge), the minimum parapet length would have to be 110 mm.  To accommodate a four foot radius curve under the bridge would probably necessitate increasing the parapet length to something closer to 120 mm, although it is not critical.  I realise that I could splice two sets of parapets together and do the same with two sets of bridge decks, but would you consider creating longer parapet sections?  Better still, would you consider something that could be extended in the same way as your building roofs with a left and right section?  For my attic layout, I could be tempted by circa 170 mm parapets that would span three tracks.  I'll have another look at the top of your retailing wall tunnel portal for that purpose though.

Thank you for the extensive post! The measurements for overbridge are taken from existing plans in 4mm scale with straight track in mind. I can however prepare longer parapet and deck for you if you wish. We could make the extensible parapet. It would most likely be section per track (then you could have 3 sections for 3 tracks, or 1 normal parapet and one section for 3 tracks). I will get back to you when I've done some prototyping!

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply, but as usual, I seem to have yet more questions about your 4 mm products.

Product LCC 04-42 "stairs for goods shed office basement": what width are the stairs and would it be possible to use two or more of these products side by side to create a wider stairway?  As you can probably guess, I am looking at an alternative use: a stairway from street level to platform level (street level being about the same as track level).  Whilst entry to a goods shed may be one person at a time, station steps would have to allow for the movement of a crowd, so need to be wider.  Also, is there a similar fence unit to extend the railings on the step?  Alternatively, what height is the fence and would it tie in with LCC 00-91 (which seems to be 20 mm in height)?

Also, there seems to be three lengths of brick platform wall: LCC 00-48 (51 mm); LCC 00-41 (99 mm); and LCC 00-47 (198 mm).  Do you intend making any other lengths?  I am looking at building a terminus with an end wall that connects the two platforms.  As such, I would be looking for a section that is approximately 86 mm plus twice the thickness of the decorative facing, so about 88 mm. Unfortunately, I can't see how I could do this without either an 88 mm platform wall or alternatively a circa 37 mm platform wall that could be combined with the 51 mm section (LCC 00-48).  A longer section would also be useful, but I appreciate that 198 mm may be the longest length that you can produce.

I can see me making more than one order at this rate, since trying to produce a single shopping list is not easy!

Thanks for the reply, but as usual, I seem to have yet more questions about your 4 mm products.

Product LCC 04-42 "stairs for goods shed office basement": what width are the stairs and would it be possible to use two or more of these products side by side to create a wider stairway?  As you can probably guess, I am looking at an alternative use: a stairway from street level to platform level (street level being about the same as track level).  Whilst entry to a goods shed may be one person at a time, station steps would have to allow for the movement of a crowd, so need to be wider.  Also, is there a similar fence unit to extend the railings on the step?  Alternatively, what height is the fence and would it tie in with LCC 00-91 (which seems to be 20 mm in height)?

Also, there seems to be three lengths of brick platform wall: LCC 00-48 (51 mm); LCC 00-41 (99 mm); and LCC 00-47 (198 mm).  Do you intend making any other lengths?  I am looking at building a terminus with an end wall that connects the two platforms.  As such, I would be looking for a section that is approximately 86 mm plus twice the thickness of the decorative facing, so about 88 mm. Unfortunately, I can't see how I could do this without either an 88 mm platform wall or alternatively a circa 37 mm platform wall that could be combined with the 51 mm section (LCC 00-48).  A longer section would also be useful, but I appreciate that 198 mm may be the longest length that you can produce.

I can see me making more than one order at this rate, since trying to produce a single shopping list is not easy!

Hi,

The best way to tackle the stairs would be to make a simple bespoke construction for you. It would technically be possible to double them up but it would not look very nice. If you tell me the width you need I can prepare them for you. The railing in LCC 04-40 and LCC 04-41 is about 15mm in height. At the moment we do not have fence that could match up with that.

It won't be a problem to prepare a section of that length for platform. But if you want to keep the interlocking it would either have to be 36mm or 39mm in length. Again other lengths won't be a problem to prepare for you but if you intend on keeping the interlocking they may be few mm off.

Please let me know what do you think about it.

The best way to tackle the stairs would be to make a simple bespoke construction for you. It would technically be possible to double them up but it would not look very nice. If you tell me the width you need I can prepare them for you. The railing in LCC 04-40 and LCC 04-41 is about 15mm in height. At the moment we do not have fence that could match up with that.

It won't be a problem to prepare a section of that length for platform. But if you want to keep the interlocking it would either have to be 36mm or 39mm in length. Again other lengths won't be a problem to prepare for you but if you intend on keeping the interlocking they may be few mm off.

Please let me know what do you think about it.

Thanks for the reply,

With regards the steps, I was looking for something that would be around 32 mm (a scale eight feet) wide.  I assume that a bespoke construction would simply be a pack of longer steps to replace those in LCC 04-42.  If this is correct, then that would be great (although I'm not sure how to order bespoke products on-line).  The lack of a fence is not an issue as I was originally intending building a wall (the equivalent to a platform wall above platform level and twice that height from street level, so I will probably stick with that plan.

With regards the platform wall, I think that it is important to maintain the interlocking, and I think the 39 mm long wall would be better, since there will be an overhang on the platform surface. Better still would be a 90 mm long panel to save joining 51 mm and 39 mm panels. Again, unless you add this to your Catalogue, I am not sure how to order a bespoke item on-line.