Modelling Greek railways

Allegheny1600

Hi All,

In conversation with a newly made friend on here, we agreed to start a topic dedicated to discussing the modelling of Greek railways.

Since 1971, the main railways of Greece have been known as (please forgive my poor spelling!) "Organismos Sidirodrómon Elládos" (Hellenic Railways Organisation) or OSE for short.

Prior to 1971, the railways were known as "Sidirodromi Ellinikou Kratous" (Hellenic State Railways) or SEK for short. This had been in existence since 1920.

For more detailed reading, please see Wikipedia, which can give further links of interest: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Railways_of_Greece

My first visit to Greece was as a 12 year old, travelling (with my parents!) in a camper van all the way through Europe, through Yugoslavia(!) and into Greece, down towards Athens and along the Northern Peloponese coast to Patras. My fathers plan was actually to cross the sea to Tunisia and thence across Northern Africa to Morocco however by this time (1977) Morocco and Algeria were at war so crossing the border might have been a touch difficult! Because the ferry crossing was expensive and there was a strong possibility of having to return the same way, we opted to stay in Greece for a while and I well remember seeing many metre gauge Alco hauled trains traversing the curvaceous North Peloponese line. These locos were so big, I did not realise they were "narrow gauge"!

I can't remember much else from that trip except seeing the Acropolis in Athens and the still remaining road-signs advising tanks whether they could cross certain bridges or not!

My next trip was on honeymoon to Corfu, followed by visiting several more of the Greek islands but I yearned to revisit the mainland again. By this time, I was modelling US outline in H0 and had become quite an Alcophile and thoughts of my boyhood visit came flooding back. Eventually my wife conceded that maybe the mainland could be as nice as the islands and we visited a few places around the Kalamata area where I learned there was a loco depot but unfortunately I was turned away before I could get any decent photos.

I'll detail a lovely train ride we took from Kalamata to Kiparissa at a later date.

Anyway, for now back to modelling, here is a photo I took of my DJH S160 on Tony Wrights "Little Bytham" layout recently;

post-6892-0-59652800-1411003842.jpg

I have to add a large front headlight, rear buffers, check it runs perfectly, add a decoder, paint it and add appropriate decals and that will be my first Greek steam loco!

I do have a handful of diesels but as I am a confirmed steam buff, I will be concentrating on the 1960's period when steam was still very common as there were some fascinating types running in Greece at that time.

Cheers for now,

John E.

• Like 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

This time last year we had a holiday in Greece. Travelling around the Peloponnese, I saw a fair few railway lines; sadly most of them disused. My understanding is that pretty much everything except the main line along the north of the island and the line running along the west coast and then inland to Olympia, was suspended when the financial troubles started for Greece.

Certainly what I saw of the narrow gauge network looked fascinating, including the rather spartan branchline terminus at Navplion. The most interesting feature there was the fact the station had been moved to the northern edge of the town, but the former (more centrally situated) station remain...completed with stuffed and mounted narrow gauge steam engine (of what looked to be German design) and a couple of carriages. There was still evidence of the old tracks in the road way, indicating a tramway-type approach to the station.

• Like 3

Hi Claude,

Yes, the metre gauge system in the Peloponese is about half re-built now and mostly abandoned! From what little I know, the whole railway system was costing a lot of money and when the financial crash came, it was much cheaper to simply shut the whole railway down, except vital parts around Athens? I believe the Greek government tried to sell all or part of the system but were unsuccessful? Subsequently some parts seem to have started opening up to traffic again even border crossings and new harbour connections opened, all on the standard gauge.

There was at least one excursion on the metre gauge system a year or more ago but it happened at the wrong time of year for me.

Nafplion's original railway station is fascinating isn't it?

Shame about the graffiti (& mess!) of course but otherwise there are some fascinating items there. The larger metre gauge steam locos (2-8-2's) would be "McArthurs" of American origin! But there were items all over Greece of US, British, German, Italian and other ancestries, that's one reason I find it so fascinating!

Cheers,

John E.

• Like 1

Well here is the second Greek fan who also happens to be Greek! :sungum:

Thanks John for starting the topic. I will pop pictures in of my rolling stock the the days that follow.

One comment that will help you make the S160 correct. You need also to exchange the Tender Bogies. The Greek ones has others similar to the Bettendorf offered by Kadee. I will take a look at home about the part number from Kadee and inform you. If you take a look at the pictures of Greek S-160 you will see it.

Cheers

Andreas

• Thanks 1

Hi Again,

my first picture here....MX627 Locomotive built by MLW in Canada in 1974 an modernised around 2004. 2700HP. These are the main freight locomotives of the Greek railways together with the MX636 with 3550HP. The model is Nickel Silver and white metal from my Friend Chisto Georgadidis from Balkanmodels in Sussex. It has 2 flywheels and a mashima can motor. It runs like a dream and I am very immpressed from its Performance. The Kit was built by Balkanmodels and was painted, lettered, weathered and got its electronics from my dear friend Yannis Chazapis in Athens. Yannis has created the correct sound files for the loco and it is equiped with an ESU Lok Sound 4.0 with a oval speaker that is really loud like the real thing!!! The electronics include ditch light, headlights that can be lit i almost all possible combinations.

Here the loco is performing at our FREMO meeting in Uzwil, Switzerland in May 2014.

post-20206-0-62941000-1411113256.jpg

Cheers

Andreas

Edited by 0_gauge_novice
  • Like 8

Hi John,

I just took a look and I got the #500 Bettendorf Trucks with 33" smooth back wheels. They are not 100% accurate in its arching but comes very close and it is sprung.

http://www.kadee.com/htmbord/page500-550.htm

Here you can find how you can attach the Kadee trucks to the model. Pat Durant from Alaska has done so.

http://alaskarails.org/creations/PD-562/guide/4/index.html

Cheers

Andreas

• Thanks 1

More stuff coming up tonight!

Firstly...RTR models. In 2004 I think the now gone Alpha Trains from Germany produced the most modern diesel locomotive of the Greek Railways the ADtranz Series A471-496. 26 Locomotive were put into service starting from 1997. Later, around 2000 if I remember 10 more were ordered but never received the old lettering but the new one, which is class 220 001-036. 2700 hp, 160 kph max. speed they are the mainstay of the diesel passenger fleet and do runs of about 1000km per day. They share many common characteristics with the BR101 of the DB like the same bogies.

The 3 models produced with the old numbering are from Alpha Trains and the 2 with the new numbering and logo are from LS Models that took over the moulds of the loco. The model is a superb performer, the best I have seen up to now for a RTR model. I once took it to a friend that is doing american stuff and used to do german and he said to me "I have never seen such a good running loco". The details is also superb with a LOT of extra parts everywhere.... It is one of the few RTR stuff that we had the pleasure to get....

post-20206-0-47388700-1411154516.jpg

Now some stuff that I made.

In the 90s Greece got 20 V200.1 (BR221)  used from Germany. They were about 10 years in Service and with the introduction of the A471-496 they were withdrawn from service. They were sold back to Germany in 2002 and about half of them returned to service with private companies. The model is a Roco, which I painted for a friend from Vienna. The photo is cruel. Decals were made by a friend in Greece. I also have 2 of them.

post-20206-0-55473300-1411154509.jpg

And the last project for today. 1937 SEK (the former Company in Greece until 1971) bought from Germany express passerger coaches similar to the Baugrupe 28 of the DRG. I modified a Roco model in the area of the frames because the greek coaches had the frame covered by the superstructure. I did this with evergreen profiles. The model was painted with Gunze Acrylics (my favourite choice of colors) and the lettering was designed by me in Corel Draw and printed in Germany by Andreas Nothaft. The SEK plates are brass from Balkanmodel in Sussex and are SUPERB in 0.05 thou brass and so crisp you cannot image! Expensive but the best plates I have ever seen!

http://balkanmodels.biz/images/seklo9.JPG

post-20206-0-09905800-1411154530.jpg

This is the prototype coach. I have 5 more to go (1/2 nd class, 3rd class and the coach of the prime minister/saloon).

Hope you like it.

Cheers

Andreas

Edited by 0_gauge_novice
  • Like 4

Has anyone modelled the ISAP Athens-Pireaus electric railway? I've always been fascinated by the early electric trains running through the ancient city, right up to the 1980s.

post-4916-0-48213000-1411468140_thumb.jpg

Extending the then steam-worked line from Thissio to Ommonia, 1889

post-4916-0-22614600-1411467200.jpg

Electric train at Monastiraki

post-4916-0-05573900-1411467274_thumb.jpg

Soldiers at Monastiraki, 1912

post-4916-0-39088300-1411467347_thumb.jpg

Ommonia old station, 1925

271669186_189ccc2e17_z.jpg?zz=1

Piraeus Underground Station, 1981 by Bettsy1970, on Flickr

post-4916-0-61645600-1411467939.jpg

Monastiraki, 2007

post-4916-0-54826100-1411467976.jpg

Monastiraki, 2007

• Like 3

Hi Sparks,

I have met somebody in Greece that has modelled the ISAP steel trains but nothing more. No, layouts,nothing...

Just to post here the project of a good friend of mine from Greece. John is an excellent modeller with a lot of talent. Enjoy the topic!

http://balkanmodels.biz/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=21

Cheers

Andreas

• Like 1

• 5 years later...

Hi All,

I thought I'd just do a little 'showing off' of some of my more modern Greek stock.

49791469228_d693ea66e0_c.jpg

My own Adtranz A475 diesel with a mix of Alpha Trains and Sachsenmodelle coaches.

49791469233_e4e9f75d15_c.jpg

Balkan Models Alco (MLW) with a mix of Alpha Trains, Brawa, Roco and Piko wagons and a Roco V60 shunter in background. When I'm satisfied with my painting/airbrushing skills, I will get my Alco painted.

My plan is to build a proper Greek diorama when I am actually residing in the prototype country, until then, my rather tatty old wooden shed has to suffice.

Cheers,

John.

• Like 5

• 10 months later...

The main line between Athens and Thessaloniki is now double tracked and electrified and sees regular service, as do the various suburban lines. A number of secondary lines are in operation with more limited service. Unfortunately the metre gauge network in the Peloponnesus has been inactive since 2011.

• Like 2

• 2 years later...