Wooden Coach Kit

It definitely has a Great Western look to it. It looks like it could be a 70' Van Third (Right Hand), from the early (1923-5) Collett era.

It would be a diagram D84 if those are flat ends, or a D82 if there is one bow end (goes at the passenger end)

The instructions for the D84 on the Comet Models website will give a bit more info.

The 7th photo here is of a D83, which is the Left Hand version of the same coach.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/28388-adrians-coach-works/

Adrian

Edit to fix the handing...

G'day, Stefan,

What an interesting find! These old models can be assembled to make quite presentable models, as I found when building 70ft 3rd No. 4516, as illustrated here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/74163-wooden-and-card-rolling-stock-kits-etc/

They make quite a change from etched brass and plastic kits.

Regards,

Rob

I never saw the long term evidence, but a chap I knew who built quite a number of coaches with this style of construction reckoned one should prepare fill and paint both the surfaces of the wood, not just the outside. This to avoid long term warping.

Wonder when it dates from? Circa 1970? I don't think of myself as nostalgic, but the sight of that packaging surely provokes memories of the wonderful model railway shop.

There are more details on wooden coaches at:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/16208-ratio-ccw-kings-cross-precision-wooden-models/

There was quite a large range of coaches from Ratio, CCW, and Kings Cross Precision and there were also quite a few EMUs and a Derby Lightweight DMU from Ratio. They fairly frequently come up for sale. Ratio and CCW kits are more common than Kings Cross ones. There high point seems to have been in the mid 1950s.

I think the kings cross models were made for them by CCW and it would date from the late 50's to mid 60's as after that the kings x models were all metal until the shop closed.

If you do not treat both sides the wood will definitely warp, the inside only need a coat of varnish or primer to stop this happening, I have built CCW kits in O and you can make a fine model using wood so long as the grain if treated with a good quality grain filler before a coat of primer and then rub down with fine glass paper not sand paper as this cuts through the filler and will raise the grain, spoiling the finish.

regards

mike g

Stefan

Not too common but also not very rare, I like these kits as they need building, so you should enjoy the build. The late Alistair Rolf told me the Southern ones were quite accurate models, though not up to todays standards.

One tip is to use sanding sealer and rub down with ultra fine sand paper. The first coat should be well thinned followed by a further two or three becomming a bit thicker. Rub down with what we did call flour paper (ultra fine sand paper) between coats. Once dry then add details

Stefan

It might be worthwhile building a new underframe as you may think the metal channel a bit overscale. You could either use a nice heavy whitemetal bogies from the likes of BSL or K's etc, fit pinpoint bearings. Or just use a modern RTR bogie set

Hi John,

I was thinking of using brass channels, a pair of suitable RTR bogies and raid the scrap box for the rest of the underframe detail. Will try to detail the body as much as possible too.

Regards,

Stefan

• RMweb Premium

These kits were made in the late 60s by a company from Biggleswade called, I think, 00scale models run by a chap called Kieth Dann. He moved to or bought the fabled Kings Cross modelshop, but sadly died within months in a car crash. If you read railway modellers of the period you will find articles about building the LMS coaches and I think they were used on Garsdale Road. There was a huge range of prototypes.

I was shocked when I visited the shop one day to find the sides, rooves and floors being sold off at 10 shillings a time. The complete kits had been £1/10/0, so I bought 8 LMS period 2 suburbans. I made a profit on them when I sold them 10 years later.

I have always believed that had Keith lived he would have been a big name in our hobby.

Roger

Stefan

Do use the material you are most happy with. The Ratio or it may be the CCW ones have wooden solebars which look better or The Evergreen plastic strip give you nice square angled strip and finish it off with some 10 thou strip for the bottom

I have used 1 mm square brass rod for the truss rods, Evergreen strip will do but not as strong. Any decent set of bogies are fine.

There are also 2 stiles of building it, modern scale or retro 60's style.

Forgot, once Comet are back up and running again, they are a great source of roof and underframe details

Stefan

Here are two coaches I picked up on Ebay partly built

post-1131-0-29191300-1411298267.jpeg

2 sets for one price, as different livery on each side, I do have metal ends for them in the spares box but matching the livery may be tricky. I also have some old whitemetal  SR steam bogies to go under them. Truss rods in the past have made them from 1 mm square brass rod. Solebars will be either from plastic or wood.

Don't use the cellulose window sheets, they shrink over time

Archived