Kernow OO gauge LSWR Road Van

DJM Dave

Thanks for heads up, Wooders. Nothing heard yet but I will await an email in due course. I have a couple or three on order. (Two BR and a LSWR I think..)

Rob.

Ditto .... nothing heard here yet.

I hesitate to point out to the Bank of Kernow that my £49.98 would have been worth two Road Vans if they'd have taken pre-payment whenever it was I ordered my two  -  but sat in my Account in the Bank of ( what passes for ) Real World it's probably dropped to about forty quid !

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 28/07/2018 at 08:18, NHY 581 said:

I have a couple or three on order. (Two BR and a LSWR I think..)

Thanks for the recent updates, just bitten the bullet - SB003C with 'RETURN TO THREE BRIDGES' due local interest... :imsohappy:

Edited by jafcreasey
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I ordered mine on 27 September 2014. Before that I bought a kit from a firm in the Isle of Wight and started making it. I cannot find it now but if I had known about the delay I would have finished it. It was a resin model on a Bachmann chassis which was the first resin model I had attempted. I got as far as painting the parts.

• 1 month later...

Don’t worry it’s not been forgotten... Work is in progress...

Graham,

I have 3 of these on order but noticed a missing component on the CAD images. The photographs show that, in addition to the full length running board mounted at axle height, there is a foot step at the veranda end. This does not appear in the CAD images that just show the running board. I posted this observation to Kernow but thought it prudent to mention to you in case it had been overlooked and before it is too late to correct. Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere on the thread. Looking forward to their release and happy that time is taken to get everything right.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

C'mon Kernow .............. Hornby will get their LSWR brake on the shelves first if you don't pull your socks up !

No need to worry. Kernow's version is an earlier diagram and will be equally welcome on any LSWR and SR layout. I for one will maintain my vast order with Kernow for their LSWR Road Vans and also will be ordering some of the Hornby LSWR Brake Vans.

Happy modelling.

Cheers,

Chris

No need to worry. Kernow's version is an earlier diagram and will be equally welcome on any LSWR and SR layout. I for one will maintain my vast order with Kernow for their LSWR Road Vans and also will be ordering some of the Hornby LSWR Brake Vans.

Happy modelling.

Cheers,

Chris

I'll ditto that - but others with a smaller budget / smaller layout will only want a single brakevan ..... probably whichever appears first.

• RMweb Gold

I am just grateful that people are producing models of L&SWR prototypes. It matters not who gets there first. In reality, neither Hornby or Kernow will suffer, irrespective of who comes first.

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I'll ditto that - but others with a smaller budget / smaller layout will only want a single brakevan ..... probably whichever appears first.

But some will no doubt want a road van, especially on smaller layouts, so in reality Hornby's latest doesn't compete with the Kernow model but complements it.

• Agree 1

But some will no doubt want a road van, especially on smaller layouts, so in reality Hornby's latest doesn't compete with the Kernow model but complements it.

That is rather what I thought Mike. Apples and oranges at play.

I have a road van on order from Kernow. They are 'cute' - a bit of a curio and, to my eye, are 'just right'. IMHO the prototype for the Hornby van, the 'New Van', is butt ugly and the 2D coloured CAD images make it appear even more so!

Edited by MartinTrucks
  • Like 1

I have a Roadvan kit but have yet to make it up. The Kernow one will be very welcome when it finally appears.

As for the “New” brakevan I will certainly buy one in LSWR and one in SR. The former will replace an elderly scratch built model from the 1980s, when LSWR transfers did not exist as far as I knew.

post-4181-0-71015400-1547245515_thumb.jpeg

post-4181-0-03538500-1547245553_thumb.jpeg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I am just grateful that people are producing models of L&SWR prototypes. It matters not who gets there first. In reality, neither Hornby or Kernow will suffer, irrespective of who comes first.

Rob.

Seconded, though I think Wickham Green was only giving a tongue-in-cheek prod to Kernow...  No Terrier-style competition here! ;)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On Friday, January 11, 2019 at 8:06 PM, MartinTrucks said:

I have a road van on order from Kernow. They are 'cute' - a bit of a curio and, to my eye, are 'just right'. IMHO the prototype for the Hornby van, the 'New Van', is butt ugly and the 2D coloured CAD images make it appear even more so!

I wouldn't describe the Warner van as 'butt ugly. It's subjective of course but it's simply a more modern van. 

Rob. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Well Kernow do it again! What a great job they are doing for us LSWR/SR/SW Div BR modellers!.

Having bought 4 x B4 0-4-0s, which are really lovely models, I am sure the road van will be good. I really only wanted two but ordered twice due to an error on my part! I am getting old.

Just ordered two LSWR Brake Vans in BR Bauxite and Grey. Can't remember seeing one at Basingstoke shed or yards or on the Waterloo Bournemouth line but too good to miss.

Keep up the good work Kernow, kind regards,

Richard B

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Had a word with the Kernow guys at the Crawley show ........... apparently they did consider dropping the Road Van project when the Margate lot ( or wherever they are today ) announced something not entirely dissimilar - BUT they decided to continue, though it's unlikely to appear this year.

• Informative/Useful 7

Glad to hear Kernow are going ahead with their LSWR Road Van. I have had several on pre-order with them since they were first announced and have pre-paid for them. Really looking forward to them as they are perfect for the LSWR pre-grouping era.

Thanks for the info. Wickham Green.

Cheers,

Chris ( modelling Wickham, Hants. Station )

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

10 hours ago, Wickham Green said:

Had a word with the Kernow guys at the Crawley show ........... apparently they did consider dropping the Road Van project when the Margate lot ( or wherever they are today ) announced something not entirely dissimilar - BUT they decided to continue, though it's unlikely to appear this year.

Oh, you have GOT to be kidding!

I've been waiting for this for what seems like years, as a key element justifying starting construction of a small second layout based on the IOW.  Back burner again now ...

If they feel Hornby has effectively pinched their idea, I can only feel it's their own fault.  Why on earth has what seems like a relatively simple project taken such an eternity? It's not as if it was ever announced as a 'crowdfunding' project so far as I recall.

• Friendly/supportive 1

2 minutes ago, Willie Whizz said:

Oh, you have GOT to be kidding!

I've been waiting for this for what seems like years, as a key element justifying starting construction of a small second layout based on the IOW.  Back burner again now ...

If they feel Hornby has effectively pinched their idea, I can only feel it's their own fault.  Why on earth has what seems like a relatively simple project taken such an eternity? It's not as if it was ever announced as a 'crowdfunding' project so far as I recall.

How difficult can it be to scratchbuild a small road van?

I built a lwb. one from balsa wood on my office desk during lunchtimes, back in 1970 when I was 21.

All that I bought in were wheels, axleguards / springs and buffers.

If an entire project is dependant on a single RTR vehicle, it has to be a bit of a gamble, surely?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Any production of a RTR product is not as simple as you might think both from a research, tooling and manufacturing perspective. Indeed it is not a crowdfunding project and therefore Kermow need to manage the outlay of the not insignificant tooling costs along with and inline with their other projects. Patience is a virtue and none of us have a right to any model to be produced at all, let alone to our own wants and timescales. 

• Agree 6