Kernow OO gauge LSWR Road Van

DJM Dave

2 hours ago, Wickham Green said:

But why on earth should anyone faff about building one at lunchtime IF the - no doubt superior - one might land on their doormat the next day ? ............ particularly as they may well have other projects - to scratch or kit build - that they'd rather spend the time on : wagons - or whatever - that HAVEN'T been promised by the trade ( yet ).

I think the obvious answer is to purchase one of the little Smallbrook ones 

http://smallbrookstudio.co.uk/kits-parts/4569521214/lswr-20-ton-goods-brake-van-(road-van)-s.r.-dias.-1545-1549/3738664

Guaranteed as soon as you are ready to put on the final coat of paint a pre-production Kernow will appear as if by magic.

Edited by woodenhead
  • Agree 4

2 hours ago, Wickham Green said:

But why on earth should anyone faff about building one at lunchtime IF the - no doubt superior - one might land on their doormat the next day ? ............ particularly as they may well have other projects - to scratch or kit build - that they'd rather spend the time on : wagons - or whatever - that HAVEN'T been promised by the trade ( yet ).

Because, as I've no doubt Tony Wright would say, it'd be 'yours'.

..... and I think that if there was the slightest danger of the Kernow model landing on your doormat tomorrow, they'd have announced the fact by now!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

Be nice if the only concern was for the correct LSWR/SR color of the van...

I think I cancelled my order long ago. I have the Smallbrook van which I built about 10 years ago and over which I had total choice of color being an dark flat chocolate brown (I matched Humbrol SR Service Brown color with an acrylic mix of Tamiya colors.  Vallejo was not yet on my paint horizon.)

• Like 1

19 hours ago, cctransuk said:

Because, as I've no doubt Tony Wright would say, it'd be 'yours'.

So why the hell should we bother with ready to run at all if we're all happy to have a layout populated with the few things - which are 'ours' - that we've managed to build in our lunchtimes ? ............ and, perhaps anyone who who is happy to live only with rolling stock that's 'theirs' are wasting their time on this thread ..... and wasting everyone else' time too !

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, Wickham Green said:

So why the hell should we bother with ready to run at all if we're all happy to have a layout populated with the few things - which are 'ours' - that we've managed to build in our lunchtimes ? ............ and, perhaps anyone who who is happy to live only with rolling stock that's 'theirs' are wasting their time on this thread ..... and wasting everyone else' time too !

Since things seem to be getting a little 'tense' - perhaps we'd better leave it there?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

3 minutes ago, Wickham Green said:

Lets get this into perspective

• Age of universe (estimated) 13.8 billion years
  • Age of Earth 4.5 billion years
  • Age of Man on Earth 200,000 years
  • Average life expectancy in UK (2016) 81 years
  • Development time so far of Road Van 6 years

Is it so important that something that has been in progress for about 10-20 percent of your life is that critical, if it was then do a kit.

A home, food and health are the important things in life, a hobby should be a pleasure not a stress and given all the wagons that are available as kits or RTR, including Southern brake vans in various shades of chocolate, then there are alternatives.

Note: I am saying this as much to myself here as I get stressed about wiring up and scenics when I know I shouldn't

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold

I can understand that if a layout's prototype dictates that a certain piece of signature rolling stock is required, the non availability of it in RTR form can be frustrating to some. In the case of the promised, but as yet not available, 10 Ton Road Van there are a number of alternatives, most of which have already been mentioned;

• Substitute with another RTR model, thinking Hornby's new LSWR Brake van, but noting that it has an issue with the colour of the LSWR and SR versions.
  • Build a kit, Smallbrook Studio and Bill Bedford/Mousa Models both have the 10 Ton Road van in their ranges, although as an alternative  both also have kits for the 18 ton vans  and Smallbrook have the LSWR/WD van, providing more choice.
  • Scratchbuild but as there are kits this would only really suit those who enjoy that sort of thing.
  • Wait until the Kernow model arrives.
  • Go without. 

It's as simple as that, no amount screaming and shouting, and biting off the heads of those who suggest alternatives is going to change that. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

On 14/01/2020 at 10:52, Wickham Green said:

Of course not - but if someone's invested lots of dosh in a suitable locomotive and rake of wagons in the aeons since they put their name down for a brakevan to complete their train, they can only feel peeved if they're not being told when ( if ) it's going to appear.

As the saying goes: "I was that soldier" ...

Regarding "use something else", that is rather harder if you're talking about the Isle of Wight.  As for "build a kit", I already have plenty on hand for my main project and an ever-decreasing lifespan in which to build them, so no thanks.

As the other old saying goes:  "It's not the disappointment ... it's the hope that kills you" ...

So odd really, that a company with an otherwise good reputation, who can hardly claim to be unaware of the frustrations that have built-up, should have such a blind spot about this particular promised model, when two or three sentences of explanation could resolve things for the foreseeable future.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On ‎12‎/‎01‎/‎2020 at 12:40, cabbie37 said:

I asked at the Kernow stand at the Stevenage show yesterday if there was a more up to date release date for these and was given a shake of the head and a rather terse 'No'. When I pressed a little, I just got the same response. I think I was more disappointed by the style of response than the lack of any date...

I'd interpret that to mean, at the very least, "not this year".

John

• Agree 2

If we go back to page 1 of this thread, the first item is of a CAD from DJ models.

Therein may be a clue as to what has happened to the Road Van.

Was it caught up in the DJM debacle ?, did it ever progress beyond the CAD stage ?.

We all know that DJ was all talk with little action, so maybe the LSWR Road Van will 

still be a long time coming if the commissioner had little to take back in house,

as they did with other models that DJ was ' working ' on.

I am still interested in one when they appear.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, Iltman said:

Perhaps I’m being a bit felicitous but I’m wondering if Rails will do a version in their 3D range before we see Kernow’s release?

Why bother picking something that is known to be under development elsewhere (albeit that we don't yet know when it will arrive) when there are literally hundreds of wagon types that aren't?

If starting from scratch (and there's no reason to think that wouldn't be so) theirs could easily turn up at the same time as Kernow's and, having been on the receiving end of one well publicised duplication drama, I somehow doubt Rails would deliberately risk another.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

Why bother picking something that is known to be under development elsewhere (albeit that we don't yet know when it will arrive) when there are literally hundreds of wagon types that aren't?

If starting from scratch (and there's no reason to think that wouldn't be so) theirs could easily turn up at the same time as Kernow's and, having been on the receiving end of one well publicised duplication drama, I somehow doubt Rails would deliberately risk another.

John

I think that Iltman was being somewhat ironical, rather than seriously suggesting that this might happen.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

I think that Iltman was being somewhat ironical, rather than seriously suggesting that this might happen.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

I'd certainly hope so, but my irony detectors are undergoing refurbishment at present.:jester:

John

• Funny 1

10 minutes ago, mvrnut said:

Actually I had a reply from KMRC today on Facebook that the LSWR Road Vans will be the next item after the GWR Railmotors are done. So sounds hopeful to me.

Cheers,

Chris

The Railmotor which still has a CAD to complete, they've done one but they have a second one still in design.

Some way away then still

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 5 weeks later...

Must admit I've not checked any variants other than those I'm specifically interested in - but I clicked on one at random today and found the 'due' date for some has been updated from 2019 ......... as it stands variants A to F are shown as due THIS year and the rest remain as 2019 - which is obviously wrong, but might signify NOT 2020. No idea whether any such difference is intended or should they all be shown as this year, I wonder......... fingers still firmly crossed.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I really dont know what the fuss is about. Now admittedly my era is later - no worries about the shade of brown on my Hornby LSWR brake van! But if I was desperate to own this particular brake van, I would happily build a kit - I've been tempted by some of the Smallbrook ones.

If the much better looking/running RTR model came out, I would happily replace my original effort with the updated model. Its no different to when I replaced my Triang M7 with Crownline detailing parts for the hi-fi Hornby M7 of 2005. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
42 minutes ago, JohnR said:

I really dont know what the fuss is about. Now admittedly my era is later - no worries about the shade of brown on my Hornby LSWR brake van! But if I was desperate to own this particular brake van, I would happily build a kit - I've been tempted by some of the Smallbrook ones.

My only annoyance is I parted with £29.99 in Aug'18 and would have appreciated an update or two in that time...

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium

You had me wondering about that, but I see the terms of pre-ordering these changed in 2018. My orders date back to 2014, with no up front payments.

Still no layout for them to run on.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

OK, I've bitten the bullet and bought the kit from Smallbrook, with the idea that once I've completed it, the Kernow model will come out.

However, it looks a little more complicated that the Parkside kits I'm used to  - any tips?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, JohnR said:

However, it looks a little more complicated that the Parkside kits I'm used to  - any tips?

Some info / photos on a build here:-

EDIT: that link is quite confusing; to be clear you need to click on the 'August 15, 2012' link in the heading to get to the relevant part of the thread.

Edited by spamcan61
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1