Kernow OO gauge LSWR Road Van

DJM Dave

I've done a couple of the Smallbrook ones - once you've got all the castings square they're not bad to put together but the superglue grips pretty quickly so make sure you're right more or less first time when you assemble it. 

On the second one I broke the resin underframe almost by looking at it and ended up using brass W irons and making brass footboards.   I think I ended up with a much more robust job. 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 27/08/2020 at 13:44, wainwright1 said:

Was there supposed to be an update on this model during August ?

All the best

Ray

Kernow now have pictures of the engineering prototype on their website;

http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/pg-148-LSWR-Road-Van

Edited by Wellyboots
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Slightly embarrassingly, I saw this and went to the Kernow web site to place an order, only to discover I’d already ordered one in October 2014 and had subsequently completely forgotten about it...

Still, good news - and the EP looks very nice indeed.

• Like 2
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Zero Gravitas said:

Slightly embarrassingly, I saw this and went to the Kernow web site to place an order, only to discover I’d already ordered one in October 2014 and had subsequently completely forgotten about it...

Still, good news - and the EP looks very nice indeed.

You and me both.:jester:

I am wondering if this topic should be restarted now you have something physical to show.

This thread is rather tainted by it's OP and some people may believe he still has a hand in it with him being the OP.

Now you have your own official account (I know there are others) perhaps a new topic beginning with the samples we can drool over to kickstart the project.

• Agree 13

8 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

You and me both.:jester:

I am afraid I win the dumbo prize. I called Kernow this pm to order two and found I had 4 already on order ordered over the last 5 years.  Good news is that I now have money in their bonus scheme as a regular customer. 

Anyway one LSWR and one SR should be just the ticket. Hope we don't have to wait too long and that they are indeed the required dark brown. 

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Kernow MRC said:

We are pleased to advise that we have received the first Engineering Prototype (EP) from the tooling for the much-anticipated ex LSWR / SR Diagram 1541 10T Road Van.

843881366_LSWRRoadVanEP1_SM_3.jpg.ba962d58b0cfd37a13b693b71e695d49.jpg

1413727019_LSWRRoadVanEP1_SM_4.jpg.cfa3f0085a7c7d52e8e75dfb8e706e08.jpg

The CADs, based on a laser scan of the preserved example at the Isle of Wight steam railway, were approved for tooling earlier this year. We are carefully evaluating and so far we are very pleased with how the EP has turned out. We are currently discussing directly with the factory a very small number of slight modifications before the next stage of livery samples can be produced. The production of the livery artwork is in progress.

300322738_LSWRRoadVanEP1_SM_5.jpg.e6bdc85e23dfc216a2b2c3eaeba5f97b.jpg

1012962544_LSWRRoadVanEP1_SM_6.jpg.4a77d901c06fd10ffeab9a566383ef1d.jpg

The pictures show the high level of detail and multitude of separately fitted parts including: flush glazing, hand rails, brake gear with pull rodding, step board and lamp irons to accurately portray a number of different versions of the prototype.

1742503295_LSWRRoadVanEP1_SM_8.jpg.96c982670a8764547ee8ad238fe4dca0.jpg

136721430_LSWRRoadVanEP1_SM_7.jpg.dc4b710c868b856617a27824e80ded63.jpg

These options include alternative buffer shanks with a ribbed option as fitted to preserved No. 56046 on the Isle of Wight steam railway and either straight or cranked step board supports, the latter as fitted to the majority of those transferred in 1925 to the Isle of Wight.

229002729_LSWRRoadVanEP1_SM_9.jpg.f5de1687d311da3a1128074f662306fd.jpg

In light of further research, a small number of the available versions have been changed with corrected running numbers and liveries as BR Bauxite would not be appropriate for the available options of this road van.  Details of the ten versions now being produced can be found on the Kernow Model Rail Centre website at http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/pg-148-LSWR-Road-Van

Any customer wishing to amend their pre-order due to these changes can contact the Kernow Model Rail Centre either through the website or via telephone.

Note: the images show a version with a mix of the potential options and does not necessarily show an actual available version.

Baah Baah Baah  !!!!

f34122185a66caf3ee089a65c1d9ad26.jpg

Edited by NHY 581
Over excited
  • Like 1
  • Funny 2

2 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

I was under the impression that I had pre-ordered one but apparently not. 

I cancelled my pre-order several years ago in expectation they would never appear.  Oh well.  Perhaps next year I might fit one in the budget. At least I won't be having to repaint this van from caramel to chocolate.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

Great to see these - almost - in the flesh at last ...... I wonder if the 'very small number of slight modifications' might include a slightly less obviously tapered chimney ?

If the chimney is not a separate part but is moulded as part of the roof I suspect that might not be very easy.  

While this vehicle isn't on my list I am really impressed by the lamp irons - something other manufacturers need to note.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

Great to see these - almost - in the flesh at last ...... I wonder if the 'very small number of slight modifications' might include a slightly less obviously tapered chimney ?

I suggest that a more productive approach would be to contact @Kernow MRC directly, with photographic or other evidence of what it should look like. 

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, truffy said:

I suggest that a more productive approach would be to contact @Kernow MRC directly, with photographic or other evidence of what it should look like. 

C'mon, a stovepipe looks like a pipe ! .......... yes, if it needs to be moulded as part of the roof it needs to be tapered to allow release from the mould - but the taper looks to me ( as an amateur ) to be excessive. ( If I have to replace yet another brake van chimney with a piece of plastic tubing, I will do so.)

Kernow ARE already discussing a very small number of slight modifications with the factory ......... time will tell whether this is one of them.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Wickham Green too said:

C'mon, a stovepipe looks like a pipe ! .......... yes, if it needs to be moulded as part of the roof it needs to be tapered to allow release from the mould - but the taper looks to me ( as an amateur ) to be excessive. ( If I have to replace yet another brake van chimney with a piece of plastic tubing, I will do so.)

Kernow ARE already discussing a very small number of slight modifications with the factory ......... time will tell whether this is one of them.

Brass tube is better, bigger hole in relation to the overall diameter.....

John

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dunsignalling said:

Brass tube is better, bigger hole in relation to the overall diameter.....

John

Not necessarily ............ I still have a - diminishing - supply of thin-walled plastic tube I picked up from an aero-modelling stand at the Model Engineer Exhibition at Olympia many, many yonks ago ( Sutcliffe Productions seem to have ceased productioning in the early '90s.).

• Like 2

The chimney is a straight pipe, this passes through a cast iron plate attached to the roof.

This plate is a loose fit around the pipe and has a groove around the hole to allow packing to be inserted to keep the weather out and support the pipe clear of the roof woodwork.

Pete

• Informative/Useful 3

• 1 month later...