Kernow OO gauge LSWR Road Van

DJM Dave

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, IWCR said:

Gone from the mainline by then I think, if any were left it would be a west country branch line.

One at Longmoor military railway.

Pete

To pick one example, the Road Van allocated to the Lyme Regis branch (which was the heavier type as also constructed for the ROD anyway) went around 1958. It was replaced with one of the 15-ton Pillbox vans.

There seems to have been something of a "clear-out" of older stock in the West Country between 1957 and 1959. affecting most of the Road Vans, and with some withdrawals even of surplus "New Vans" (as produced by Hornby). Unfitted merchandise vans were in decline too. BR's programme of overhauling and adding AVB to anything from the 1930s/40s on a 10' wheelbase was nearing completion, with the utilisation of non-XP stock beginning to reduce quite sharply in consequence.

This wasn't confined to goods stock, as many remaining pre-group coaches (and the 1930s rebuilds thereof) began to be displaced by Maunsell  corridor 2-sets cascaded from main line duties during the same period.

My primary modelling period is 1958-62, so the Road Van will be a bit of a stretch, but one I shall enjoy and attempt to excuse as "Internal User", which is more than I can do with my black diesels....

John  

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I'll also be stretching things and looking for a couple of examples.  Certainly one for my nod to the Lyme Regis branch in BR days, Mutton. 

Rob. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Apply rule 1.

Absolutely. Life's too short. 

Rob. 

• Like 2

The  Bluebells Road van was bought in 1961 and came from the Bodmin -Padstow line.

It had been withdrawn in 1958 but apparently lingered on in some sort of use for a few more years.

Possibly the last in service on mainland BR ?.

Pete

• Informative/Useful 5

1 hour ago, Wickham Green too said:

Except for the one which isn't ....... 56037 is a rebuild of I.W.C.R. van No.5 - which started off life on the Midland Railway !

That is before being lettered up as a dedicated brake van for the weed killing train, I think.

What are the origins of the left hand one ? It does not look familiar.

All the best

Ray

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, wainwright1 said:

That is before being lettered up as a dedicated brake van for the weed killing train, I think.

All the best

Ray

It's one of the Road Vans (as on the right) , rebuilt to a brake van by removal of the goods doors and the creation of a second (larger) veranda.

Everything left of the centre upright between the S and R is as-built, the rest is new.

There were four of them, rebuilt at Ryde works in 1933, according to Southern Wagons, Volume 1.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

11 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

Except for the one which isn't ....... 56037 is a rebuild of I.W.C.R. van No.5 - which started off life on the Midland Railway !

I said they were brake vans. I didn't say they were LSWR road vans, though one clearly is. Mac took various pictures of vehicles which were modified at Ryde. There's a very nice brake third four-wheeler which he describes as "modified for the the Night Mail train." (CJL)

• Like 3

10 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

There was also a six wheel road van on the I-o-W complete with a drovers compartment.

Er - no ...... the unique Dia.1546 six wheel 'Drovers' van No.54962 stayed firmly on the mainland ( frequently on the Callington line ) ................ you're getting confused with the Dia.1542 Road Van ( larger than Dia.1541 ) No.54949 which did time on the Isle of Widget as No.56058 from 1947 to 1966. These vans - four built 1906 - DID start out life with six wheels but lost their middle wheels within a few years.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

There was also a six wheel road van on the I-o-W complete with a drovers compartment.

Not on the IoW.

The one with the drover's compartment was used for many years on the Callington branch, later moving to the Seaton branch.

The 21t long Road Van on the IoW was effectively a stretched version of the 10-tonners. The "2" went missing from the markings at some point and it acquired the nick-name of The One Ton Van. It also lost its centre wheels quite early on, probably before moving "overseas".

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

The big Road Van was purchased for preservation however it was then scrapped in error.

A small road Van was then obtained as a replacement.

Having seen the structural state the small one got into prior to a full restoration I would expect the longer version would have been even worse.

Pete

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
On 06/10/2020 at 13:03, wainwright1 said:

All the best

Ray

I think the weed killing train van was the ex-IWR one, not the IWCR one. 

I've modelled 56037 from a Slater's kit with a scratchbuilt second verandah.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Nick C said:

I think the weed killing train van was the ex-IWR one, not the IWCR one. 

I've modelled 56037 from a Slater's kit with a scratchbuilt second verandah.

Which Slaters kit did you use?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The dedicated page for the Road Van has been updated here http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/pg-148-LSWR-Road-Van

The 2nd Engineering Prototype, that looks great and runs nicely, has been approved for manufacture and all the livery artwork drawings approved.

We should be receiving the livery samples by the end of this month to check before full production can start.

Edited by Kernow MRC
to prevent further sniggers V V V
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 6
  • Informative/Useful 8

On 04/10/2020 at 11:15, wainwright1 said:

Did the one on the LMR carry Longmoor livery ?

Ray

I’ll do a check of the first and second testaments of the Longmoor bible to see, they may have just been green with LMR or stayed green without a logo. That would be the ultimate niche version of a niche product though if Kernow made one...

• Like 1

On 04/10/2020 at 11:15, wainwright1 said:

Did the one on the LMR carry Longmoor livery ?

Ray

On 05/12/2020 at 10:07, ovbulleid said:

I’ll do a check of the first and second testaments of the Longmoor bible to see, they may have just been green with LMR or stayed green without a logo. That would be the ultimate niche version of a niche product though if Kernow made one...

At least seven were sold to the LMR between 1936 and 1943 and two survived until the line closed in 1969. Number 54885 was subsequently preserved on the West Somerset Railway. 

I don't have information to hand on the livery they carried on the LMR other than a black and white photo dated 1949 that appears to be grey with a large 'LMR' lettered plate across the side doors.

Edited by Kernow MRC
LMR closure date typo corrected
  • Like 2