Kernow OO gauge LSWR Road Van

DJM Dave

• RMweb Premium
47 minutes ago, JohnR said:

I'm waiting for someone to do just that, so I can buy this thing!

I did it four years ago and nothing happened! 

Seriously though, in light of the number of projects that Kernow have picked up to manage themselves following long periods of inactivity from the previous manufacturing agent they engaged, it's really not surprising that some have had to wait in the queue a lot longer than we customers, or Kernow for that matter, would have liked - especially when you consider they've had to dovetail all these projects in with the already life-filling other tasks of running the business.  And don't forget that, for at least partly similar reasons, the earliest customers to sign up for the D600 Warship had to wait 10 years!  When we eventually got them, they were superb and I'm sure the road vans will be too.   

It must have been mentioned before in this thread (in which case please excuse me) but the Smallbrook Studios resin kit makes up into a very satisfying representation of the road van.  I love mine and I'm sure I'll love it no less when the two RTR ones I ordered from Kernow appear.  Must get around to weathering it sometime though.  The bigger 18 ton road van that was on the Isle of Wight can also be built from a Smallbrook kit and is just as lovely (usual disclaimer, I have no connection to Smallbrook, etc.)

Pete T.

2019-09-19 16.36.56.jpg

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 7

1 hour ago, Wickham Green said:

.... but having said I'd purchase them when they were announced ...

.... as did I - but then put it from my mind until it eventually arrives via the postman.

It's the only way to deal with today's pre-ordering regime.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Agree 3

9 minutes ago, PJT said:

I did it four years ago and nothing happened! 

Seriously though, in light of the number of projects that Kernow have picked up to manage themselves following long periods of inactivity from the previous manufacturing agent they engaged, it's really not surprising that some have had to wait in the queue a lot longer than we customers, or Kernow for that matter, would have liked - especially when you consider they've had to dovetail all these projects in with the already life-filling other tasks of running the business.  And don't forget that, for at least partly similar reasons, the earliest customers to sign up for the D600 Warship had to wait 10 years!  When we eventually got them, they were superb and I'm sure the road vans will be too.   

It must have been mentioned before in this thread (in which case please excuse me) but the Smallbrook Studios resin kit makes up into a very satisfying representation of the road van.  I love mine and I'm sure I'll love it no less when the two RTR ones I ordered from Kernow appear.  Must get around to weathering it sometime though.  The bigger 18 ton road van that was on the Isle of Wight can also be built from a Smallbrook kit and is just as lovely (usual disclaimer, I have no connection to Smallbrook, etc.)

Pete T.

2019-09-19 16.36.56.jpg

Thanks for this, I have often wondered how well these look and quite nice actually.

Perhaps I should purchase one.....then remembers his layout no longer exists but I do have a few kits to finish.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Wickham Green said:

Now, an old cynic like me might just wish this thread a

HAPPY FIFTH BIRTHDAY ! 

and, once more, lament the complete lack of public updates on this project ........

.......BUT the guy on the Kernow stand at Woking on Sunday advised that they're checking final details as received from the factory - so we may not have to hold our breaths too much longer !

Look on the bright side. If they hold to the original pre-order price, that's 5 years worth of inflation (and counting) you don't have to worry about. Buying RTR at prices of 5 years ago - whats not to like?

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

Thanks for this, I have often wondered how well these look and quite nice actually.

You're welcome.

In my opinion they're towards the top of the resin kit quality scale, but of course resin components - whatever the quality - will always require lots more fettling than injection moulded ones.  I remember replacing a couple of withered straps on the resin underframe with plasticard, too, but that only took a few minutes.  In fact, the build took a couple of evenings to complete (including fettling etc.) plus another evening for painting.  The resin has a good weight to it and the underframe was moulded nice and square, so it runs very smoothly too.  As I said, it was a very satisfying build.

But for all that, I'd love to see the Kernow ones do well and I'm really looking forward to mine when they arrive.

Pete T.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cctransuk said:

If the extended delivery time is an issue to you, you could have taught yourself to scratchbuild in plastic card, and had the model running, well within five years!

I couldn't see that one coming. Oh no, not one bit!

• Like 5

44 minutes ago, Tramshed said:

Look on the bright side. If they hold to the original pre-order price, that's 5 years worth of inflation (and counting) you don't have to worry about. Buying RTR at prices of 5 years ago - whats not to like?

Given that Kernow have just issued e-mails to pre-orderers of the Bachmann WARFLAT, sort of inviting them to cancel if the £45+ price (plus postage) is considered excessive; I somehow doubt that Kernow will be able to sustain the announcement price. (But I'd be delighted to be proved wrong)!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

I bought and built the Smallwood kit long before the Kernow announcement. But I will shell out the usual fist full of dollars for the Kernow RTR version if were to ever appear.

I tried to build the larger LSWR brake van kit from Smallwood but the resin castings for the roof  and sides were a bit warped and cracked when I warmed and tried to straighten them.  It used a Dapol plastic underframe.  It's in the never never ever to be built boxes of kits now. At one time the original owners of Cambrian talked about a kit for this LSWR van along with an LSWR/SR diagram 1543 van which did not have the road van freight side door. Both of those seem to have disappeared with the sale of Cambrian to new owners. 

But Hornby has come to the rescue for we pre-grouping/grouping/early BR van lovers (a type of van pool?)  with the RTR LSWR/SR diagram 1543 van which should be arriving in the next three months according to a Hattons email I received this morning.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, autocoach said:

I tried to build the larger LSWR brake van kit from Smallwood but the resin castings for the roof  and sides were a bit warped and cracked when I warmed and tried to straighten them.  It used a Dapol plastic underframe.  It's in the never never ever to be built boxes of kits now.

That's how some of their kits used to be, years ago.  In more recent years most if not all of Smallbrook's kits have been vastly improved and upgraded - the easy way to spot the newer ones is that they don't use a Dapol underframe anymore.  They'll never go together like an Airfix kit, with its precision injection mouldings, but they will go together very nicely so long as you're willing to put in a bit of preparation time.  If you model the Isle of Wight then the Smallbrook Studios range has been pretty well essential and a very welcome and viable alternative to scratchbuilding modified LBSC goods stock and LSWR brakes/road vans.  But (aware I'm running on a parallel topic here) I'm still really looking forward to the Kernow ones when they get here.

Pete T.

• Agree 1

19 hours ago, PJT said:

...... earliest customers to sign up for the D600 Warship had to wait 10 years! ........

As a VERY crude comparison, the D600 thread is now on page 74 - largely because it's a loco rather than a lowly goods wagon - but also because there have been updates to discuss. ............................ after half that time we're still on page nine and the same graphics we had five years ago.

• Agree 2

23 minutes ago, Wickham Green said:

...... after half that time we're still on page nine ....

.....perhaps because very few of us feel the need to get worked-up about when this projected wagon appears - or not?

Chill - there are far more important issues going on in the world.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, cctransuk said:

.....perhaps because very few of us feel the need to get worked-up about when this projected wagon appears - or not?

Chill - there are far more important issues going on in the world.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

I'm as eager to see these as anyone.....but it is only a toy train after all...

Rob. 

• Agree 5
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, Wickham Green said:

Sometimes yer wonder why anyone bothered to start a thread in the first place if nobody's interested in progress thereafter .................. it's a disgraceful waste of electrons.

I am interested in updates but happy to wait until Kernow have something to say. 

I would hazard a guess that Kernow have finite resources and have to use them how they think best. Considering how many models Kernow have produced themselves over the last few years, and commissioned from Bachmann etc, not to mention opening a second shop, I think they should be congratulated for their contribution to the hobby rather than criticized? 

• Agree 9

2 hours ago, Wickham Green said:

The point is they DO have something to say but they're not saying it unless it's dragged out of them at an exhibition ................................. THEN the criticism starts when I try to put the information in the public domain.

but look who started this topic

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mozzer models said:

but look who started this topic

Ahh, them were the days, boyish enthusiasm, the world was all good, there was no such things as 'brexiteers' or 'Remainers' and trains cost tuppence to build.

Dave was also involved in the Warship and the Steam Railmotor back then too.

Well one out of three has made it to the shelves so far, I am sure the others will follow too.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Wickham Green said:

The point is they DO have something to say but they're not saying it unless it's dragged out of them at an exhibition ................................. THEN the criticism starts when I try to put the information in the public domain.

Perhaps we could sum the situation from your perspective - and then we can all get on with something else?

Kernow announced a model wagon.

It's taken somewhat longer to produce than you'd like.

Kernow are not constantly patting your hand and reassuring you that it will appear eventually.

You're not happy !!!

Right - we've all got that; we're off to do something else!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 4

1 hour ago, Steamport Southport said:

It shows how your interests change,

When this was announced it was a case of "nice, but not needed". Since then I've ended up with an Adams Radial Tank, 700 Class and an O2. So when they do appear I'll probably be in the market for a BR one.

Jason

No Well tank, you're missing out on a marvellous model

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steamport Southport said:

They all went before I wanted one. Besides it would have to be the "square" one as I don't "do" preserved locomotives, unless I have an emotional tie to it.

Jason

I got lucky when Kernow found a couple of square ones.

If I end up selling quite a bit of my SR OO stock I think I'll be keeping the Well tanks and 02s

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Now that the Hornby ex LSWR brake vans have been released I am wondering what the situation is with Kernow's LSWR Road Vans as I have pre-ordered and pre-paid the full price for six of these. I hope they are still on for production as I am sure they will be better than the Hornby ones.

Cheers and Happy New Year to all.

Chris

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mvrnut said:

Now that the Hornby ex LSWR brake vans have been released I am wondering what the situation is with Kernow's LSWR Road Vans as I have pre-ordered and pre-paid the full price for six of these. I hope they are still on for production as I am sure they will be better than the Hornby ones.

Cheers and Happy New Year to all.

Chris

They are not the same wagon, so no real need for Kernow to drop them. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2