Kernow OO gauge LSWR Road Van

DJM Dave

• RMweb Gold

Noting the lamp brackets are different heights at each end of the van, I'm guessing that there wasn't a standard height for lamps; they just had to have one ?

However this leads to more questions :

Why are there two brackets at each end ?

Was one side preferred to the other ?

Did the side used make a difference ?

Were two lamps ever needed ?

Stu

• RMweb Premium

Noting the lamp brackets are different heights at each end of the van, I'm guessing that there wasn't a standard height for lamps; they just had to have one ?

However this leads to more questions :

Why are there two brackets at each end ?

Was one side preferred to the other ?

Did the side used make a difference ?

Were two lamps ever needed ?

Stu

Weren't they special lamps with lenses front and back hung on the side to that the driver could see he still had the rear of the train at night?

• RMweb Premium

Weren't they special lamps with lenses front and back hung on the side to that the driver could see he still had the rear of the train at night?

A brake van required 3 lights in total. One tail lamp hung on the back plus 1 lamp hung on each side. The side lamps were there so when the loco crew looked back from the engine they had visual confirmation that the guards van was still on the back and the train was complete. The tail lamp was for the use of signalmen and its presence confirmed the train to be complete.

• Informative/Useful 1

Very nice.

Looking at the running numbers, I see the one on the Bluebell (which I tend to model) is not among the release (LSWR 5706 or SR 54663 of BR S54663).

Is there a reason for this? (not same pattern, missed etc).

(hmmm... dare I renumber).

• RMweb Gold

Is this the same design that was mass produced in WW1 and ended up on various other railways like the Metropolitan etc. ???

Unfortunately not.  That was a larger 20 ton vehicle without the outside framing.

This vehicle or something very similar was used on a few other railways though.

I'm sure there'll be a SR expert along shortly to put me right on the detail. :mail:

OK, so who can tell me which variants on offer are suitable for mainland BR use? (Better not narrow it down to nw Norfolk or Cambs though!)

Stewart

ps from the above post, other railways use would be good too.

On Kernow's site (& mailing list) they show mainland and IOW versions separately.

Kudos to Kernow and DJmodels for commissioning that most useful of vehicles - the brake van. I will most certainly order some. (Actually I did already.)

I found the Kernow 'top-level' page for this item difficult to find - it wasn't on the front page when I looked. (Helpfully Graham provided a link on his blog.)

Now all we need is a forward thinking entity with ties to Somerset or Dorset to commission a S&DJR brake van. There are plenty of excellent options. It might be a while before DJModels could attend to such a project but you never know.

Edited by Ozexpatriate

On Kernow's site (& mailing list) they show mainland and IOW versions separately.

I actually cannot see any difference in use there! That is why I asked.

Stewart

edit: Having followed Graham Muz's link to his blog, I have found his descriptions there.

edit edit (!) Having now re-read the Kernow page, I can see the Island/Mainland descriptions in there - I'd swear they weren't there earlier. When their email came, I read it through a number of times with out seeing that either. (Is it me?). Not to worry, all sorted now thanks. And Rule 1 applies if one gets to nw Norfolk!

Edited by stewartingram

Now I have calmed down and had my "Must pre-order these now!!" moment, I can now say what I want without freaking out.

Firstly, well done to DJ Models and Kernow Model Rail Centre on deciding to bring this very interesting prototype to the RTR market. I am sure that this wagon will be another success for you alongside the other announcements you have done so far. I am certainly looking forward to getting them when they come out.

Now that you have announced one of the first wagons for DJ Models and possibly the first RTR LSWR wagon, do you think you may follow this up with a LSWR vans or open wagon at all?

Garethp8873.

Edited by Garethp8873

Now I have calmed down and had my "Must pre-order these now!!" moment, I can now say what I want without freaking out.

Firstly, well done to DJ Models and Kernow Model Rail Centre on deciding to bring this very interesting prototype to the RTR market. I am sure that this wagon will be another success for you alongside the other announcements you have done so far. I am certainly looking forward to getting them when they come out.

Now that you have announced one of the first wagons for DJ Models and possibly the first RTR LSWR wagon, do you think you may follow this up with a LSWR vans or open wagon at all?

Garethp8873.

Hi Gateth,

Thanks for the nice comments, but please don't be mistaken here. This is a Kernow product as they have commissioned me to make it for them, footing all the costs.

Only they will be selling it and they will own the tools.

I'm way to small to consider wagons and coaches at present and for the foreseeable future as well, sorry

Cheers

Dave

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Nick

I have certainly asked during the development stage for standard 26mm axles to be used on both this and the Gate Stock models (even though I don't need or want to move my wheels further apart...) just to show I do think of you wider modellers...

Grins...

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

How long did these remain in service, and were they mainly local to LSWR lines in BR days?

They mostly ended up dedicated to specific LSWR branch lines but, as with other 10-ton brake vans, probably disappeared from main line use quite early in BR days.

Lyme Regis had one of the heavier sort (probably because of the gradients involved) until about 1960-61 when it was replaced with one of the 15-ton Pillbox brakes. I doubt  that many of the 1541 diagram vans remained in revenue-earning service on the mainland by that time.

While they remained in traffic, it's quite possible that some might have migrated to other parts of the Southern Region or penetrated into adjacent bits of the Western.

Their facility for carrying small items made them useful in pick-up goods trains where it avoided the need to use a whole goods van to carry oddments. The proximity of such packets to the guard would also deter pilfering and offers a good reason for a 10-ton van to survive so long.

John