Kernow OO gauge LSWR Road Van

DJM Dave

1 hour ago, Kernow MRC said:

At least seven were sold to the LMR between 1936 and 1943 and two survived until the line closed in 1959. Number 54885 was subsequently preserved on the West Somerset Railway. 

I don't have information to hand on the livery they carried on the LMR other than a black and white photo dated 1949 that appears to be grey with a large 'LMR' lettered plate across the side doors.

Thanks Kernow, sounds good to me.

I would imagine that would give Kernow's the potential for another issue, as the LMR has quite a good following. Invicta models have commissioned a BR type brake van (green army livery LMR lettered) and a coach from Bachman in LMR livery and all sold well and I think have sold out. There is still scope for a BR type brake van in LMR blue livery as well, as I believe two of them were painted in that livery, one of which ended up on the Bluebell Railway.

All the best

Ray

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kernow MRC said:

At least seven were sold to the LMR between 1936 and 1943 and two survived until the line closed in 1959. Number 54885 was subsequently preserved on the West Somerset Railway. 

I don't have information to hand on the livery they carried on the LMR other than a black and white photo dated 1949 that appears to be grey with a large 'LMR' lettered plate across the side doors.

I assume you mean 1969 for the LMR closure date?

Best regards,

Martin

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, MartinTrucks said:

I assume you mean 1969 for the LMR closure date?

Best regards,

Martin

Indeed I did, well spotted, typo corrected (after all it's a year I should know...) 

Edited by Kernow MRC
  • Like 1

• AY Mod changed the title to Kernow OO gauge LSWR Road Van
  • 5 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Miss Prism said:

Not too keen on the grand canyon gaps between the planks, although most rtr has this misguided orthodoxy.

Bear in mind this is a cruel enlargement.

• Agree 3

Don't mind me, Graham, I was just having a rant about one of my bete noires, and I wasn't having a pop at that particular model (which is looking rather good, btw, albeit only a tantalising glimpse). Grand canyon crevices are also de rigeur for coaching stock doors and seams on steam loco platework. Model manufacturers have been doing this sort of thing since the dawn of time, and I don't suppose they are inclined to change any time soon. I guess it all helps to keep the kiddie youtubers happy, otherwise they might be a trifle hesitant before exclaiming "Ooooo, look at all the luvverly detail !!".

The pic I used was of a prototype vehicle.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
50 minutes ago, Miss Prism said:

Don't mind me, Graham, I was just having a rant about one of my bete noires, and I wasn't having a pop at that particular model (which is looking rather good, btw, albeit only a tantalising glimpse). Grand canyon crevices are also de rigeur for coaching stock doors and seams on steam loco platework. Model manufacturers have been doing this sort of thing since the dawn of time, and I don't suppose they are inclined to change any time soon. I guess it all helps to keep the kiddie youtubers happy, otherwise they might be a trifle hesitant before exclaiming "Ooooo, look at all the luvverly detail !!".

The pic I used was of a prototype vehicle.

I realised the picture was a full size model, I was kinda teasing back at ya. One picture cruelly enlarged whist the other reduced. 

Such seams and lines tend to be slightly overscale in model form due to the limitations on mass produced plastic models to give a reliable exit from the tool. If we could replicate etched lines after moulding somehow I am not sure the cost would justify the means...

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, GreenGiraffe22 said:

Post 1936 SR mainland =)

Good choice! :good:

I have had that, and the pre-1936 one, on order since 01.03.2018 (no, my memory isn't that good, I've just checked my account!)

I figure that, since my primary interest is late '30s (1938-ish), I can get away with a van that's about 3 years old, for a little variety. :whistle:

• Like 2

I've ordered the post 1936 version for my SR Western Division collection. The recent fall/collapse of the US Dollar vs the UK Pound negated any VAT removal advantage.  I have long dreamed of resurrecting my now gone Padstow layout and building a Boscarne Junction and a Wenford Bridge clay dries module.  I keep collecting equipment for such a non-standard modular layout. I think I had cancelled my previous order several years ago when the prognosis for delivery this brake van looked very dim. 

Edited by autocoach
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, autocoach said:

when the prognosis for delivery this brake van looked very dim. 

The future is bright, the future is Venetian red, and the correct shade of brown or all over grey... 

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

And the one you want for Wadebridge is S54663, was one of the last in service:

"5706 was renumbered 54663 by the SR and allocated Diagram No. 1541. In June 1938 it was recorded operating on the historic section of railway between Bodmin, Wadebridge and Padstow. Renumbered S54663 by BR, it was officially withdrawn in July 1958, but survived in some form of service until 1961." Bluebell Railway

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, 2ManySpams said:

And the one you want for Wadebridge is S54663, was one of the last in service:

"5706 was renumbered 54663 by the SR and allocated Diagram No. 1541. In June 1938 it was recorded operating on the historic section of railway between Bodmin, Wadebridge and Padstow. Renumbered S54663 by BR, it was officially withdrawn in July 1958, but survived in some form of service until 1961." Bluebell Railway

Funny you should mention that...

1D69367E-F595-4266-B953-C021D9005756.jpeg.45d53c66e80a548e0bcd7d6aca48eb7e.jpeg

... we’ve got it covered.. 

... it was a no brainer to choose as an option

Edited by Graham_Muz
  • Like 7
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Graham_Muz said:

Funny you should mention that...

1D69367E-F595-4266-B953-C021D9005756.jpeg.45d53c66e80a548e0bcd7d6aca48eb7e.jpeg

... we’ve got it covered.. 

... it was a no brainer to choose as an option

The Bluebell one is the one I've ordered too. Can't wait. A lot has happened in the world since.

Edited by JSpencer
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, PhilJ W said:

I didn't realise that they were in stock until just now. I've just ordered one , pre-1936 SR livery.

Not in stock yet... 

the images above are our decorated samples recently received...

more news later this week 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 3