Kernow OO gauge LSWR Road Van

DJM Dave

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, JSpencer said:

The Bluebell one is the one I've ordered too. Can't wait. A lot has happened in the world since.

Looking at the website, that appears to be version F, which I have on a long-standing pre-order.

My note from the time has it with a different number, so has it been changed?

No complaint, this will suit me better, just checking.....

John

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Dunsignalling said:

Looking at the website, that appears to be version F, which I have on a long-standing pre-order.

My note from the time has it with a different number, so has it been changed?

No complaint, this will suit me better, just checking.....

John

Hi John.  I reviewed and updated the proposed numbers and liveries when I started working for KMRC . They had previously listed some liveries and numbers that were not correct with the tooling available. 

Edited by Graham_Muz
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

17 hours ago, Graham_Muz said:

Such seams and lines tend to be slightly overscale in model form due to the limitations on mass produced plastic models to give a reliable exit from the tool.

That is just not true. The shape of ridges on the tool will have implications for the electrode shape on the EDM cutting head (assuming the tool is electro-cut), but the shape of the ridge has nothing to do with part release (subject to normal release angles on the tool of course). Also, there is less metal to remove from a tool for a plank gap that is more to scale than an overscale one.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Graham_Muz said:

I reviewed and updated the proposed numbers and liveries when I started working for KMRC . They had previously listed some liveries and numbers that were not correct with the tooling available. 

Graham - this might be more a question for Chris rather than yourself, but is it possibble to change a long-standing order to a different variant? I've got two IOW versions on order and would prefer to change to one IOW and one mainland...

Edited by Nick C
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, bubbles2 said:

Having got the late Peter Gray's book 'West Country Railways' for Christmas which has a loverly picture of the BR liveried road van on the Wenford line I think I really must order one.

In the picture I mentioned in my previous post which shows the veranda end to the right, I noticed there is a ‘NOT IN COMMON USE’ marking on the right with a plate above this with further marking which I’m unable to make out. Also the buffers are black ribbed and the sole bar is black, is it too late to incorporate these? The picture was taken in May 1958.

DSC_7207.JPG

Edited by bubbles2
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, bubbles2 said:

In the picture I mentioned in my previous post which shows the veranda end to the right, I noticed there is a ‘NOT IN COMMON USE’ marking on the right with a plate above this with further marking which I’m unable to make out. Also the buffers are black ribbed and the sole bar is black, is it too late to incorporate these? The picture was taken in May 1958.

DSC_7207.JPG

If it's van No. S54663, the plate should read "To work only between Bodmin, Wadebridge and Padstow".

Source: Southern Wagons, Vol.1. Page 65.

John

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

9 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

C'mon  -  yer can't expect the guys to incorporate markings they can't make out ............... well not at this stage anyway !

( black=ribbed buffers ? - surely not )

Yes... saw that one coming. Just thought it was worth a mention, someone may know what the markings were? At least having noticed these it will give me (and maybe others) some 'improvements' to make when the model arrives. I didn't mean it as a criticism.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
51 minutes ago, phil gollin said:

Obviously the LSWR and at some time the SR had brake vans with red ends - presumably as a warning ?

Is there a reason why they dropped it ?

Probably just habit, it was hardly an attention-grabbing shade of red as one would expect if it was safety related.

Maybe just a way of making brake vans easy to find in yards?

As previous post, it just wasn't adopted by BR, just like GWR Toads!

John

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

... it was hardly an attention-grabbing shade of red as one would expect if it was safety related. ...

The muddy faded shade given in the original Livery Register would struggle to get anyone's attention but the recently-researched colour presented in Southern Style Vol.4 is a far more vibrant colour ................ but still, I'd say, still a non-starter compared with the vermillion or buffer-beam red used at the other end of the train !

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, bubbles2 said:

I can confirm that our version will have black solebars and black ribbed buffers, but not the other later applied 'Not in common use' markings, that we believe were applied upon official withdrawal in early 1958 went it entered a form of service stock until preservation in 1962.

Perhaps @247 Developments can look at a range of the "to work between...." etched plates for those modellers to personalise their versions to suit their modelled locations, and support the aftermarket traders at the same time.

Edited by Graham_Muz
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

If it's van No. S54663, the plate should read "To work only between Bodmin, Wadebridge and Padstow".

Source: Southern Wagons, Vol.1. Page 65.

John

My reading of the BR lettering is : -

Work between

Bodmin Wadebridge

& Padstow only

John Isherwood.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

54 minutes ago, Graham_Muz said:

I can confirm that our version will have black solebars and black ribbed buffers, but not the other later applied 'Not in common use' markings, that we believe were applied upon official withdrawal in early 1958 went it entered a form of service stock until preservation in 1962.

Perhaps @247 Developments can look at a range of the "to work between...." etched plates for those modellers to personalise their versions to suit their modelled locations, and support the aftermarket traders at the same time.

As the allocation boards were hand-painted on a flat board, etched plates would be inappropriate - a transfer would be better.

However - and before someone suggests the apparently obvious - I would need to fill an A6 sheet with allocations; I doubt that there were sufficient allocations to do that!

John Isherwood,

Cambridge Custom Transfers.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
46 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

As the allocation boards were hand-painted on a flat board, etched plates would be inappropriate - a transfer would be better.

However - and before someone suggests the apparently obvious - I would need to fill an A6 sheet with allocations; I doubt that there were sufficient allocations to do that!

John Isherwood,

My quote above came from a table of 26 "Examples", so there were presumably more.

Incidentally, on the page opposite the table, there's a photo of a rather delightful LSWR china clay container wagon, one of 25 built to work between Padstow Quay and Wenford, that might make fitting companions for S 54663 and a BWT.... 

John 

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

I have ordered one just recently but I have a feeling that I may have ordered one when they were first announced.

You should be able to check that if you have an account with Kernow, something I need to do as well.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, cctransuk said:

John Isherwood,

I will be producing the BODMIN etc. allocation and the NOT IN COMMON USE lettering for my own use, but could not add that to my list on its own.

Taking this a little further - if someone wishes to list authentic BR-era brakevan allocations; running numbers; NOT IN COMMON USE; etc., etc.; appropriate for BR(SR) brakevans and other rolling stock; sufficient to fill an A6 sheet at 4mm. scale; I would be prepared to compile a transfer sheet that could be used with the Kernow brakevan; and marketed as 'BR(SR)-specific rolling stock markings'.

Over to you .....

John Isherwood,

Edited by cctransuk
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Dunsignalling said:

........ a rather delightful LSWR china clay container wagon, one of 25 built to work between Padstow Quay and Wenford, that might make fitting companions for S 54663 and a BWT.... 

That's stretching Rule 1 a bit, isn't it !!?! ......... the china clay conflats were converted to brake vans ( a different sort  - not unlike the new Hornby type  ) in 1923 - at least 25 years before S54663 acquired its BR number ............................. yes, an LSWR liveried Kernow brake and Well Tank would make a fine accompaniment. ( Shows what a charmed life those tanks had - there were only three survivors years before the conflats were built in the first place ! )

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

That's stretching Rule 1 a bit, isn't it !!?! ......... the china clay conflats were converted to brake vans ( a different sort  - not unlike the new Hornby type  ) in 1923 - at least 25 years before S54663 acquired its BR number ............................. yes, an LSWR liveried Kernow brake and Well Tank would make a fine accompaniment. ( Shows what a charmed life those tanks had - there were only three survivors years before the conflats were built in the first place ! )

Thanks, I hadn't managed to find a reference to how long they lasted and hoped I might flush out the information. :scratchhead::)

John

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, cctransuk said:

I will be producing the BODMIN etc. allocation and the NOT IN COMMON USE lettering for my own use, but could not add that to my list on its own.

Taking this a little further - if someone wishes to list authentic BR-era brakevan allocations; running numbers; NOT IN COMMON USE; etc., etc.; appropriate for BR(SR) brakevans and other rolling stock; sufficient to fill an A6 sheet at 4mm. scale; I would be prepared to compile a transfer sheet that could be used with the Kernow brakevan; and marketed as 'BR(SR)-specific rolling stock markings'.

Over to you .....

John Isherwood,

John 

That is a very kind offer and an excellent idea. I will see what others I can come up with from photographs and I hope others will do the same. 

• Like 3