Kernow OO gauge LSWR Road Van

DJM Dave

• RMweb Gold
45 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Will the underframe be available as a separate item? The reason I am asking is that I have a Smallbrook resin Metropolitan road van body and I need an accurate underframe.

There are no current plans to do so, the production run underway as I type is for complete vans only.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 15/01/2021 at 08:49, Kernow MRC said:

We are please to advise that the much-anticipated ex LSWR / SR Diagram 1541 10T Road Van has been approved for production. This follows the careful review and approval of the Engineering Prototypes received last year and the decorated samples of all ten of the versions being produced that we received last week.

An update on progress, quoting the KERNOW MODEL RAIL CENTRE NEWSLETTER (dated April, 30th): -

Production is nearing completion and the first available shipping is booked! We hope to have them in stock for fulfilment of orders at the beginning of July 2021.

Edited by jafcreasey
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

As can be seen on page one of this thread, it was first announced by the (then) would-be producer on 19 September of that year.

I placed a pre-order that day, which still stands; I wonder if mine is the earliest one that does....

John

Guest Jack Benson

Looking forward to its arrival, is something of an understatement. Though the original order for BR grey has morphed into post-‘36 SR, it will still be much needed on Beaminster Road. When first ordered, the wagon roster was but a couple of rtr SR vans, now it boasts various bits of exotica.

Very pleased.

On 02/05/2021 at 06:12, Dunsignalling said:

As can be seen on page one of this thread, it was first announced by the (then) would-be producer on 19 September of that year.

I placed a pre-order that day, which still stands; I wonder if mine is the earliest one that does....

John

My order was placed the following day so you’re definitely ahead of me :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Is that a sly dig @Graham_Muz lol.

I am torn now, when these were announced I was happily playing with ex LSWR SR & GW tank engines and I was really looking forward to these coming out.

Then I got a small case of the blues finding myself modelling N gauge blue diesels, my SR & GW stock boxed for the future (??).

Should I buy one of these, to go with the two ex SECR Rails vans delivered just after I had boxed up all my OO, emotions say yes, practicalities says no and the wife would seriously question what I am doing buying more trains

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, woodenhead said:

Is that a sly dig @Graham_Muz lol.

I am torn now, when these were announced I was happily playing with ex LSWR SR & GW tank engines and I was really looking forward to these coming out.

Then I got a small case of the blues finding myself modelling N gauge blue diesels, my SR & GW stock boxed for the future (??).

Should I buy one of these, to go with the two ex SECR Rails vans delivered just after I had boxed up all my OO, emotions say yes, practicalities says no and the wife would seriously question what I am doing buying more trains

I spent a lot of time going back to original paint specs for the the LSWR and SR to ensure I could stand by the colour! :)

As to whether you should buy one, that's simple, of course you should... buy before Sunday evening and you can demonstrate to any questioners that you have saved money :) 

• Like 4
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
Just now, The Stationmaster said:

Do I need one to go with my totally out of context Well Tank I wonder?

I am surprised you even need to ask...

• Agree 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Graham_Muz said:

As to whether you should buy one, that's simple, of course you should... buy before Sunday evening and you can demonstrate to any questioners that you have saved money

And you can call it an investment as its value is bound to go up. ;)

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Graham_Muz said:

I spent a lot of time going back to original paint specs for the the LSWR and SR to ensure I could stand by the colour! :)

As to whether you should buy one, that's simple, of course you should... buy before Sunday evening and you can demonstrate to any questioners that you have saved money :) 

They look very nice and the timely warning is much appreciated. My order is in – £15 is not to be sniffed at.

• Like 3

I have now organised payment for my two pre-ordered vans. I still have my almost-finished Smallbrook Studio resin D1541 van on the workbench, now awaiting fitting of handrails and final LSWR lettering and numbering. I wonder if my Kernow models will arrive before I finish that. :scratchhead: 

One thing I do know is that these new models will surpass the finish on my kit-built ones - I completed an 18T D. 1542 road van some time back also from Smallbrook, but have two variations on the D. 1545/1549 vans to get beyond the painting stages, so I'm only behind the 8-ball with the D1541 van ... so far! Who knows what Kernow will do next. :jester:

On the subject of colour, for my LSWR vans, I have used Humbrol gloss Service Brown #10, which is not an exact match but pretty close once satin or matt varnished. Still much closer than the shade Hornby chose for their LSWR van, I think. The Kernow models seem set to put my efforts in the shade and look very nice indeed in the photos.

37544878031_036bfc9779_k.jpg
LSWR Road Vans Progress - 2 by Jeffrey Lynn, on Flickr

• Like 10
  • Agree 1

• 4 weeks later...

Our friends at Hornby Magazine have made this excellent video about our soon to arrive LSWR/SR Road Vans (the ship is on the high seas) see here https://www.keymodelworld.com/article/kernow-oo-gauge-lswr-road-vans

2124473355_210513KMRCSB003xxxx_1.jpg.a08324a1da4235b9beb7a90079898b4a.jpg

See here for more information on the variations available and to order https://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/pg-148-LSWR-Road-Van

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Garethp8873 said:

Just an email to say my LSWR Road Brake Vans have been shipped to me!! Cannot wait to get these!!

Congratulations you are one of the lucky few (not quite a Wonka ticket), who originally were one of the very first to place an order, to receive vans from the small batch that were air freighted to KMRC. 

The rest are on a big ship heading towards us as I type.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Graham_Muz said:

Congratulations you are one of the lucky few (not quite a Wonka ticket), who originally were one of the very first to place an order, to receive vans from the small batch that were air freighted to KMRC. 

The rest are on a big ship heading towards us as I type.

Not stuck in the Suez Canal I hope?:jester:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
Just now, PhilJ W said:

Not stuck in the Suez Canal I hope?:jester:

No our ship is still moving, there is only one ship stopped indefinitely now at Suez and we have nothing to claim is on that one… 

• Like 6
  • Agree 1