Kernow OO gauge LSWR Road Van

DJM Dave

8 hours ago, Garethp8873 said:

These are definately 'Wow' wagons. Livery, lettering, under detail is just excellent!!

FB_IMG_1624097901023.jpg

FB_IMG_1624097905639.jpg

Hi All.

First I would say that I have four of these on order and have been waiting a long time and am looking forward to them. Looking at the first image I am very impressed with the detail and finish. On the second image something is irking me.

I will now stick my neck out and will probably get my head bitten off.

Those elements which look like coat hangers are I think the wrong way round. The brake linkages should be attached to the them from the inside and when applied they pull the four brake shoes in simultaneously.

I have tried to find some plans showing these type of fittings with great difficulty, but managed to find some drawings on the HMRS website: One example https://hmrs.org.uk/20-ton-goods-brake-vac-fitted-16ft-w-b-24ft-o-h-brake-gear.html which seem to verify this. They all show the coat hangers pointing inwards and I have not found any pointing outwards. Though even on this the brake linkage is fairly complicated.

I have some of the ex-Mainly Trains etchings which include these fittings and I was planning to fit them to a Parkside SE&CR prototype utility van, so want to make sure I get this right.

Not sure if these 'coat hangers' are a completely separate item and hopefully this is just an assembly error, although they are not very visible in normal viewing, so I would not worry about it too much.

No doubt one of our knowledgeable members will be able to verify this.

All the best

Ray

Edited by wainwright1
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

22 hours ago, wainwright1 said:

Hi All.

First I would say that I have four of these on order and have been waiting a long time and am looking forward to them. Looking at the first image I am very impressed with the detail and finish. On the second image something is irking me.

Those elements which look like coat hangers are I think the wrong way round. The brake linkages should be attached to the them from the inside and when applied they pull the four brake shoes in simultaneously.

I have tried to find some plans showing these type of fittings with great difficulty, but managed to find some drawings on the HMRS website: One example https://hmrs.org.uk/20-ton-goods-brake-vac-fitted-16ft-w-b-24ft-o-h-brake-gear.html which seem to verify this. They all show the coat hangers pointing inwards and I have not found any pointing outwards. Though even on this the brake linkage is fairly complicated.

I have some of the ex-Mainly Trains etchings which include these fittings and I was planning to fit them to a Parkside SE&CR prototype utility van, so want to make sure I get this right.

Not sure if these 'coat hangers' are a completely separate item and hopefully this is just an assembly error, although they are not very visible in normal viewing, so I would not worry about it too much.

All the best

Ray

Dear Ray,

Using a drawing from a completely different van to 'verify'  a hunch can be misleading. 

The pictures below from an actual LSWR Diagram 1541 show the arrangement as per the model.

1243_web.jpg.92f18ef04a9d62ecd11de8db97a2535a.jpg

1244_web.jpg.80f413b9f6f45d32823982a90ada8ca8.jpg

Thanks.

Edited by Graham_Muz
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, wainwright1 said:

Hi All.

All the best

Ray

Perhaps a valid point but I am reassured by two things. 

The involvement of G Muz in all of this...

And

The fact that 99.99% of the time I will be looking down on the little chaps when they arrive. 

Rob. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 9

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, RichardLong said:

Mine arrived today!  (All four Isle of Wight versions).  Great models - very pleased with them!

I’m glad they arrived safely, the lucky few early despatches are slowly breaking cover lol :D

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, RichardLong said:

Mine arrived today!  (All four Isle of Wight versions).  Great models - very pleased with them!

Hi Richard, 

a bit of cross advertising… :) 

CAC71E43-2C8F-4190-BE93-DE2A06358E0A.jpeg.8123ca96a3147b4aee05e5014ef5348c.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

13 hours ago, Graham_Muz said:

Dear Ray,

Using a drawing drawing from a completely different van to 'verify'  a hunch can be misleading. 

The pictures below from an actual LSWR Diagram 1541 I hope show the arrangement as per the model.

1243_web.jpg.92f18ef04a9d62ecd11de8db97a2535a.jpg

1244_web.jpg.80f413b9f6f45d32823982a90ada8ca8.jpg

Thanks.

Hi Graham.

I am pleased to see that. As I said, I tried to find verification, but the only drawings I could locate, and there were several on the HMRS site,  all showed the 'coat hangers pointing inwards towards the axle.

That's good to know.

Many thanks

Ray

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 19/06/2021 at 21:19, Graham_Muz said:

the lucky few early despatches are slowly breaking cover lol :D

Hi Graham, when you say early are there only limited numbers arrived at present? Just wondering when the other orders are likely to start shipping? I ordered back in 2015 but due to a misunderstanding they were cancelled when I cancelled the gate stock so I re/ordered in January when I tried to change one on my account! 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

Hi Graham, when you say early are there only limited numbers arrived at present? Just wondering when the other orders are likely to start shipping? I ordered back in 2015 but due to a misunderstanding they were cancelled when I cancelled the gate stock so I re/ordered in January when I tried to change one on my account! 

Hi Paul,

The limited numbers were literally a few of each type sent by air for the purposes of press review samples and the small handful left over were despatched to a very few who had ordered in 2014. 

The full production batch is, as I type, on a  rather big ship on their way to us, at this current time previously direct shipping services are more like a Waterloo to Salisbury all stations stopping service, as it has stopped at two ports in the Med already... I am hoping they will arrive during the next couple of weeks.  

I am as keen for these to arrive as anyone else...

• Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Graham_Muz said:

Hi Paul,

The limited numbers were literally a few of each type sent by air for the purposes of press review samples and the small handful left over were despatched to a very few who had ordered in 2014. 

The full production batch is, as I type, on a  rather big ship on their way to us, at this current time previously direct shipping services are more like a Waterloo to Salisbury all stations stopping service, as it has stopped at two ports in the Med already... I am hoping they will arrive during the next couple of weeks.  

Thanks Graham, I thought I’d ask so you could reply to all rather than ringing the shop ;) 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

Sounds like it's got through the canal safely anyway ! ( Would be appropriate if L.S.W.R. vans were offloaded in Southampton - but it's more likely to be Felixstowe, I guess.)

Yes it stayed pointing and travelling in the correct direction in the canal. The vans will appropriately be offloaded in Southampton, I just dont know yet if they might be going via other ports in the Med and possibly Rotterdam on the way. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 29/06/2021 at 08:41, Graham_Muz said:

Quoting the KERNOW MODEL RAIL CENTRE NEWSLETTER (dated July, 09th): -

We have an exciting delivery expected next week - our LSWR Road Vans!

Really looking forward to these - I've had one on pre-order since Aug'18 (appreciate others have been waiting longer) and after a visit to IoW last month very tempted to add at least another!

• Like 3