Kernow OO gauge LSWR Road Van

DJM Dave

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, ColinW said:

Received the email from the shop in Guildford saying they had my order. A car journey will be made in the next couple of days to collect them. :rolleyes:

Colin 

I got one from Camborne this morning stating mine would be in the post this afternoon. :)

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, ColinW said:

Received the email from the shop in Guildford saying they had my order. A car journey will be made in the next couple of days to collect them. :rolleyes:

Colin 

So a Road Trip to get the Road van?

• Like 2

Whilst I live in Tonbridge, so yes I know/knew of the direct service to Guildford, driving there takes about an hour, and I am obviously not tied down to return times.  Will be going over tomorrow, so hopefully (for me) quiet in the shop, so can have a good look around and possibly a pub lunch from one of the pubs just down the road.

Colin

• Like 5

I received my vans this morning. I'm very pleased with them and worth the 6 years 10 months wait since ordering! I've fitted Kadee No.18 couplers. I also had to regauge the wheels to enable them to go through my pointwork. Removing them broke the centre tie bar but after refitting I simply tweaked the ends back together again. Very simple and completely hidden from view. Just need to weather them now to look more realistic in operation. Well done Kernow. Excellent I think!

Kernow Road Vans.jpg

Road Vans and Hornby Goods Brakes 2.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, Rich46 said:

I received my vans this morning. I'm very pleased with them and worth the 6 years 10 months wait since ordering! I've fitted Kadee No.18 couplers. I also had to regauge the wheels to enable them to go through my pointwork. Removing them broke the centre tie bar but after refitting I simply tweaked the ends back together again. Very simple and completely hidden from view. Just need to weather them now to look more realistic in operation. Well done Kernow. Excellent I think!

Kernow Road Vans.jpg

Road Vans and Hornby Goods Brakes 2.jpg

Just had to do the same with the wheels for similar reason, but the Gibsons I fitted didn't rotate freely (pin point shape is different) so I swapped them onto the original axles. Now just right and having  cuppa while the cyano goes off.

Dickering between #18 ( a bit shorter than I need) and #19 Kadees (a bit longer than I want). Solution will be to trim the 19s to give the exact fit I seek and glue them into the pockets.

Knuckles were  touching the coupling hooks so I'm fitting some smaller ones (MJT).

Still fabulous, I'm just fine-tuning it to suit my exact requirements...:)

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 3

Just now, phil gollin said:

Does anyone know the timescale for the BR Southern Region (mainland) dark brown with red ends ?

TIA

As in delivery timescale? 

Kernow posted yesterday they had arrived and were going to take a few days to dispatch from the number of orders received. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, phil gollin said:

Does anyone know the timescale for the BR Southern Region (mainland) dark brown with red ends ?

TIA

The repainting of these vans into BR grey was not that quick and many lasted until at least the early 1950s in a faded version of the brown livery.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, phil gollin said:

Sorry, so one of you two is "wrong" ???

( By the way, I assume that the red was an early safety measure which British Railways were unimpressed with ??? )

We are both saying essentially the same thing.

Those that stayed in SR brown and gained the S prefix in 1948 would have lasted into the early 1950s, and possibly later into the BR Grey.

Others would have gone from SR brown to BR Grey also sometime in the early 1950s.

The red ends were a standard LSWR and subsequently SR practice but not not one all pre-nationalisation companies followed, I doubt it if was a case of BR being 'unimpressed with' they simply chose to adopt a different livery.

Edited by Graham_Muz
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

44 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

The shade of red used for brake van ends by the LSWR and SR wasn't exactly "hi-viz" so I suspect its main function might have been to make them easier to find in marshalling yards.  

Venetian Red wasn't as drab as portrayed in the original Livery Register and replicated by all the model paint manufacturers ever since ..... but it certainly wasn't a Day-Glo colour ! 

Any marshalling yard worth its salt would have had a dedicated brake van road or two where you'd find most vans - otherwise 'your' van would have been at the appropriate end ( the end without the big black smoky thing ) of 'your' train.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

Venetian Red wasn't as drab as portrayed in the original Livery Register and replicated by all the model paint manufacturers ever since ..... but it certainly wasn't a Day-Glo colour ! 

Indeed which is why I spent time and research to ensure the correct reference was specified for the LSWR and SR ends. Reflective paint wasn't really a thing in those days...939123113_210513KMRCSB003H_2.jpg.958fbde75b100fb30c27e2f4bd27aef4.jpg

• Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1

I thought the red  end was simply conceived as a mobile danger signal, so shouldn't they have chosen signal red (buffer beam red)?

Obviously Hi-vis would have been preferable but "Red for Danger" was conceptually a standard across the whole of industry - everything from men with flags in front of motor cars to handling explosives at sea, and we didn't have the paints that are available now.  If you'd asked why red of anybody in the nineteenth century, they probably would have replied it represented the blood of Christ. 

• Like 1

I always assumed red - as a danger signal - represented fire / red hot.

Yes, a good point about buffer beam red - but vermillion was a very expensive pigment, probably only justifiable on the relatively small area of a buffer beam ........ so a cheaper pigment was used where the greater expanse of a brake van end would make it more visible.

• Like 1