Kernow OO gauge LSWR Road Van

DJM Dave

• RMweb Premium

Colour comparison no.1

MM185075.JPG.82d3987117dd4dd3cf2fdefdf733aeaf.JPG

On the left is one of the original Hornby ones issued in the far too light 'milk chocolate' paint. I sprayed Railmatch enamel paint over it to correct it. I didn't spray enough paint to reach full colour density, which is why it looks slightly lighter than the Kernow van.

On the right is Hornby's second attempt at this colour, darker than the first but still too light.

Colour comparison no.2

MM185076.JPG.5f69ca6e9461287faa2919f61086f3e8.JPG

The van on the right was painted with Phoenix paint and looks a perfect match to the Kernow van.

And for those curious about what's inside:

MM185071.JPG.4ebb1fcfc37ef6a025ac8a23d453a109.JPG

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 16/07/2021 at 14:23, Graham_Muz said:

Indeed which is why I spent time and research to ensure the correct reference was specified for the LSWR and SR ends. Reflective paint wasn't really a thing in those days...939123113_210513KMRCSB003H_2.jpg.958fbde75b100fb30c27e2f4bd27aef4.jpg

Pure surmise on my part and I'm sure if anyone can confirm it would be GM, but I wondered if the red ends has another safety purpose. We are familiar with the practice of hanging a red lamp on the back of trains to show the signalman that a train passing his box was complete and hadn't lost a portion on route. Red lamps would work better at night but might not be obvious in bright sunshine during the day. A line of vans would look pretty uniform from a distance so if the rearmost one was painted red, it would confirm a complete train. I assume the brackets on the sides were for lamps visible from the engine for a similar purpose. Their asymetric positioning probably due to the need for these to be hung from outside the vehicle. The open end has a second footboard for the operative to stand, higher than the first. Again pure surmise.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The red ends were a livery choice and not a rule book driven requirement. 
The SR rule book (Rule 120) stated: “Southern Railway Goods trains must carry on the last vehicle two side lamps, viz., one on each side showing a white light forward and a red light at the rear.” 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, Graham_Muz said:

The red ends were a livery choice and not a rule book driven requirement. 
The SR rule book (Rule 120) stated: “Southern Railway Goods trains must carry on the last vehicle two side lamps, viz., one on each side showing a white light forward and a red light at the rear.” 

Yes, the SR's approach was rather unusual in that it diid not use tail lamps on freight trains but only used the two side lamps (in effect serving as tail lamps) whereas the other Companies all carried a full set of lamps with the exception of fully fitted freights on the LNER - which only had a tail lamop and did not carry side lamps.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

...... and lamps were easily removed whenever a brake van was in transit within a freight train and didn't denote the rear.

Although there are, on the models and in prototype photos, what look like blanking plates where permanently fitted ones would have once been located.

That suggests it was not the case when they first entered traffic.

John 

Edited by Dunsignalling
Punctuation
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

My three turned up on Saturday, much sooner that I expected - well worth the wait, the only problem being a wonky lamp bracket on one that will need careful tweaking to get it vertical. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Nick C said:

My three turned up on Saturday, much sooner that I expected - well worth the wait, the only problem being a wonky lamp bracket on one that will need careful tweaking to get it vertical. 

Could you advise which delivery company they are using ?

Many thanks

Ray

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
Just now, wainwright1 said:

Many thanks

Ray

Mine came by Royal Mail - I think they also use DPD Local for heavier parcels, or if you pay the extra for priority delivery.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Mine came Saturday by RM.  I had an email from KMC on Wednesday to saw it had been despatched so I thought I might get it Friday but then I remembered "This train don't stop at Cambourne, Wednesdays"!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, wainwright1 said:

Many thanks

Ray

I can confirm that standard delivery is via Royal Mail tracked 48 hours (aims to deliver within two to three working days, that does include Wednesdays even in Camborne...).

Full details of delivery costs and methods can be found here https://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/pg/92/Postal-Charges

I am glad to hear orders are arriving with customers, I hope you like them.

Edited by Graham_Muz
  • Like 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

Although there are, on the models and in prototype photos, what look like blanking plates where permanently fitted ones would have once been located.

That suggests it was not the case when they first entered traffic.

John 

Originally the vans had fixed side lamps (as correctly stated located where the blanking patches are), but these were replaced from 1901 onwards, initially with lamp irons only at the same location but later replaced buy lamp irons at each end as per the model. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 17/07/2021 at 22:24, Nile said:

And for those curious about what's inside:

MM185071.JPG.4ebb1fcfc37ef6a025ac8a23d453a109.JPG

One of the first things I did after receiving the first EP this time last year was to increase the weight to ensure good running.  I felt it was better hidden above the floor inside the van,  rather than try and include other details inside that it would not be possible to see.

• Like 11

1 hour ago, Graham_Muz said:

... standard delivery is via Royal Mail tracked 48 hours (aims to deliver within two to three working days, that does include Wednesdays even in Camborne...). ......

Wednesday WAS the day I was advised my vans were despatched ..................... I'm afraid I'm still waiting for that train to come in !

• RMweb Gold
56 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

Wednesday WAS the day I was advised my vans were despatched ..................... I'm afraid I'm still waiting for that train to come in !

It can happen.  My last parcel from Kernow land was a couple of months back and arrived overnight, the one before that took the past part of a week.  Both despatched about the same time of day, both sent by Royal Mail  at the same level of RM service but very different transit times.  I find that parcels from Camborne normally arrive very promptly but occasional delays do happen and the 'fault'/reason appears to be in the hands of Royal Mail rather than with Kernow.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Don't forget that at the start of the pandemic Royal Mail and other delivery agencies struggled to find sufficient staff to maintain the usual  level of service. This will probably start happening again as more people are 'pinged' when they have been in contact with someone who was positive for covid.

• Agree 7

On 15/07/2021 at 18:16, Dunsignalling said:

J....... the Gibsons I fitted didn't rotate freely (pin point shape is different) ......

Finally found where my 'Micro-Mark HO Truck Tuner'* was hiding and used this to re-profile the bearings in my first road van ...... worked a treat though a) probably wouldn't have been possible if I hadn't already removed the coupling mounting bosses - and b) was far easier to get in position ( and out ) once I'd moved the rubber muff off centre.

There's JUST enough clearance for EM wheels though I installed them 'narrow' and re-gauged them in-situ ...... P4 would be tricky !

* mine came from Wizard Models - no doubt there are other suppliers and other, similar, devices.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

LSWR Road Van Update - we are still sending pre-orders out, we have around 400 orders to go. Most of these orders have been placed since April 2021. If we can maintain our current rate of progress we should get through these by early next week. If your order was placed before April 2021 don't panic, there are many still in transit with Royal Mail so please wait until the end of July before contacting us about this!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
48 minutes ago, 2ManySpams said:

Just checked my Kernow account online and it confirms that my van was dispatched 2 days ago. Looking forward to seeing it in the flesh.

I had to go and fetch mine...

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

I had to go and fetch mine...

Don't worry Stu - the exercise will have been good for you (even if it only meant walking down the road from the car park ;) ).  n.b. You gat more exercise if you go to Camborne by train as the station is much further from the shop than the nearest car park  :jester:

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, 2ManySpams said:

Just checked my Kernow account online and it confirms that my van was dispatched 2 days ago. Looking forward to seeing it in the flesh.

Should be with you soon if RM do their stuff - mine took under 48 hours from time of despatch to time of it arriving here with the 'morning' post. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

n.b. You gat more exercise if you go to Camborne by train as the station is much further from the shop than the nearest car park  :jester:

And there are several walking routes betwixt station and shop. I seem to find the one via Wetherspoons is often the return route of choice....

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1