Kernow OO gauge LSWR Road Van

DJM Dave

Here is my road van S54663 in BR grey. This particular van is preserved on the Bluebell railway.

Thus we have 2 sets of photos below. One set with a Kernow BR Beattie Well tank and 3 china clay wagons (Bachmann exclusive for Kernow). And another set with a BR P class that is preserved on the Bluebell as well.

Road_Van1.jpg

Road_Van2.jpg

Road_Van3.jpg

Road_Van4.jpg

Road_Van5.jpg

Road_Van6.jpg

Road_Van7.jpg

Road_Van8.jpg

Road_Van9.jpg

• Like 8
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, cctransuk said:

I still have twelve sets of these transfers remaining, from a sheet of fifteen sets that I printed.

Surely more than three of us need a Bodmin / Wadebridge / Padstow road van, that ran on the Wenford Bridge branch?

The only cost will be an SAE - see above.

John Isherwood,

Cambridge Custom Transfers.

Envelope on its way - Thanks John

Chris

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JSpencer said:

Here is my road van S54663 in BR grey.

Road_Van1.jpg

That van is the one allocated to Bodmin / Wadebridge / Padstow and should have these transfers : -

4BL0187_.JPG.b51984dfaafeca06a567e30d5f732322.JPG

See above to find out how to obtain them free of charge!

John Isherwood,

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, cctransuk said:

John,

After several days of having forgotten to do so, I've just stuck an SAE in the post to you for a set.  Thank you for your generosity in making these available.

Pete T.

Edited by PJT
mistyped 's'
  • Like 3

20 hours ago, cctransuk said:

It couldn't be easier - just request a set of instructions when sending your SAE.

John.

Request in the post this morning John, many thanks, Geoff.

Looking forward to them coming to the top of the Camel valley!

Edited by bubbles2
  • Like 1

Another few photos. This time with a Bluebell preserved ex LSWR B4. I'm actually having more fun with this relatively cheap wagon than I am with the BEP. Well done Kernow.

Road_Van_B4_1.jpg

Road_Van_B4_2.jpg

Road_Van_B4_3.jpg

Edited by JSpencer
  • Like 12

On 09/08/2021 at 10:04, cctransuk said:

4BL0187_.JPG.b51984dfaafeca06a567e30d5f732322.JPG

John Isherwood,

Attached are the instructions for my transfers; I will be posting six sets today in response to requests received this morning.

1777640797_GENERALINSTRUCTIONS.JPG.53d2e873bc3ebffa3361c66f1eaf8405.JPG

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
On 10/08/2021 at 10:40, cctransuk said:

Attached are the instructions for my transfers; I will be posting six sets today in response to requests received this morning.

1777640797_GENERALINSTRUCTIONS.JPG.53d2e873bc3ebffa3361c66f1eaf8405.JPG

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Received with thanks John

Chris

• Like 1

Thank you John received transfers this morning, slight problem as parts of the transfers had transferred themselves to the shiny card in the envelope but have been able to overcome this by setting the transfers on black background and they look good from normal viewing distances.

3E7721FD-CE63-4115-BA91-E258AC8EF395.jpeg

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, bubbles2 said:

Thank you John received transfers this morning, slight problem as parts of the transfers had transferred themselves to the shiny card in the envelope but have been able to overcome this by setting the transfers on black background and they look good from normal viewing distances.

3E7721FD-CE63-4115-BA91-E258AC8EF395.jpeg

That looks better IMO.

My transfer set also arrived yesterday, thanks John, much appreciated.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Just noted that the Wadebridge van is pictured in a new book "The Southern's Withered Arm" by Alan C Butcher (page 94). Usefully the shot is of the side not seen in other photos and an extract below is included to help those with John's transfers place them:

IMG_20210902_103425.jpg.88eabb863f0be2348c2be1bb84e0ac12.jpg

Date is July 1955.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Interesting.  Does the book give any idea of the date?  The livery appears to differ from the pictures we've seen elsewhere or on the model and could possibly still be in SR brown with the SR removed (do I detect traces?) and the S prefix added.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Mike_Walker said:

Interesting.  Does the book give any idea of the date?  The livery appears to differ from the pictures we've seen elsewhere or on the model and could possibly still be in SR brown with the SR removed (do I detect traces?) and the S prefix added.

July 1955

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 13/01/2021 at 08:57, Graham_Muz said:

I can confirm that our version will have black solebars and black ribbed buffers, but not the other later applied 'Not in common use' markings, that we believe were applied upon official withdrawal in early 1958 went it entered a form of service stock until preservation in 1962.

Perhaps @247 Developments can look at a range of the "to work between...." etched plates for those modellers to personalise their versions to suit their modelled locations, and support the aftermarket traders at the same time.

@Graham_Muz any thoughts on the 1958 statement given the 1955 photo?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, 2ManySpams said:

@Graham_Muz any thoughts on the 1958 statement given the 1955 photo?

One assumes that the date in the new book is correct, I am always willing to stand corrected, my 1958 date was based on evidence available at the time and information given by other sources. Other than that I am not sure what you expect to me say.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
Just now, Graham_Muz said:

One assumes that the date in the new book is correct, I am always willing to stand corrected, my 1958 date was based on evidence available at the time and information given by other sources. Other than that I am not sure what you expect to me say.

"Fromage"? Always a good response.:P

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

In terms of the date being correct Graham, the loco it is pictured with is 30586 which has an early crest and carries a duty number of 604.  There's nothing else in the photo to date by other than the L&SWR cast sign has the SR picked out in white rather than the WR. 

It's an RC Riley photo with a Transport Treasury ref of 6281. The number is consistent with other photos he took in 1955, for example a photo of T9 30709 taken on 6/7/55 and with C&C coaches has a ref of 6283. He was definitely taking photos at Wadebridge in 1955. 

Looking elsewhere in the book, the TT seem to give references that increase with date. Photos from 1960 for instance have refs in the 15xxx region and 1962 in the 17xxx region. So a 4 digit ref is likely for the mid 50s.

Nothing screams at me that the photo date is wrong. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

From this I would conclude that it was repainted from SR brown with BR(S) markings to BR grey with black patches sometime between 1955 and 1958.  Peter Gray's photo of it taken on 31-5-58 (above) shows it to be very clean and therefore probably no too long after repainting and does include the NOT IN COMMON USE lettering.  The shot in Michael Messenger's Bodmin & Wadebridge book was taken in August 1961 and shows the same livery with only minor weathering but with COND added.

I conclude therefore that it was always NICU since at least 1955 possibly back into SR days which makes the Kernow version incorrect but thankfully John Isherwood has come to our rescue.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 12/01/2021 at 17:46, jafcreasey said:

Pictures on the KMRC website are looking good, @Graham_Muz - looking forward to the 'formal' update.

For those that have also pre-ordered SB003C (DS 54538) I found the following, which might be of interest: -

For me, certainly one of the best 'ready to run' items available...

In hindsight, wish I'd also pre-ordered SB003F (S54663 on the Bluebell) - one of three now sold-out.

APC_1137.jpg.f6fbce0e6d0bdda9099c8e0b42f1ce76.jpg

Edited by jafcreasey
  • Like 11
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3