Kernow OO gauge LSWR Road Van

DJM Dave

Nick

I have certainly asked during the development stage for standard 26mm axles to be used on both this and the Gate Stock models (even though I don't need or want to move my wheels further apart...) just to show I do think of you wider modellers...

Grins...

China always, unless I specify otherwise, work to RP25.110 wheel profile with a 14.44 +/- back to back, 2mm axles and 26mm over pin points.

Cheers

Dave

Having just looked at KMRC's website I cannot find SB003H  which is in pre 1936 SR livery running number 54611 (mainland) . Very strange as all the others seem to be there.

Looks absolutely smashing.

Chris

• RMweb Gold

Ordered mine yesterday. This is one of those models that you cannot order just the one....oops.

Rob.

• Like 1

Excellent news. I have got some ready to run LSWR locomotives and goods wagons so all I need is a brake van. I did buy a kit made in the Isle of Wight of an LSWR road van but never got round to completing it. I wonder if Kernow's picture of the LSWR goods brake van was taken at Washford on the West Somerset Railway. I have got a similar picture somewhere.

• RMweb Gold

I  ASSUME that towards the end of their lives some were used by the Engineers Department, if so that would make a good option.

I've got a photo of a preserved one I took (on 35mm) some years ago at (I think) Cranmore on the East Somerset Railway.

The paintwork is grey and in very good nick with a Western Region engineers "Ew" plate attached suggesting perhaps that the ESR had not done much to it since arrival. The roof appears to have received some recent attention but there is a plank missing from one door.

I have always thought that BR Southern Region just added a 'D' to wagons transferred to departmental use without otherwise altering the number but this one was numbered DS 12424 which does not fit the number series of these vans.

Can anyone shed any light?

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Gold

I see from the list that they are doing some in BR Bauxite. I didnt know that some were fitted (and hence had Bauxite livery in BR days), where would these have been used, as I'm sure all the ones I've seen in photos of west country branches etc was in BR grey?

• RMweb Gold

John

You are not the first to raise this question. Six vans were fitted with vacuum brake gear in LWSR days and remained fitted through there lives, I confirmed this with Mike King only last weekend. I know that Kernow are just re-checking sources regarding liveries and possible tooling options for the these versions.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi  All    The MSWJR  had an almost identical design van but there is very little good info on it.  One ended up with the side doors planked over and may have been used for a while by the GWR  when the line passed into their ownership.  I have a file on it and a photo somewhere. Maybe I will try to find it if no-one else volunteers.   I was commissioned to built 2 from my 7mm kit about 20 years ago for an elderly MSW enthusiast and they only just arrived in time before he passed away I believe .  As always there are traps for the unwary, especially regarding plank widths which are either very wide or quite narrow, normally all round,.

Mike King gives the six fitted ( PIPED ??)vans as being used from Southampton docks in LSWR days but how long for he does not say.  Not surprisingly at this stage, there are some possible errors noticeable in the CAD design which I am sure the design team are well aware of already.  The brake gear will be particularly challenging as even in 7mm it is very fiddly and rather fragile.    Regards all  adrianbs

Edited by adrianbs

• RMweb Gold

Looked but can't find the 'absolutely bloody great' button.....

To be ordered.

Rob

Adrian bs,

What is the issue here then.....You clicked 'disagree' in relation to the above post.

You give the impression that you are intent on taking issue with whatever Kernow are doing, or is it DJModels ? To that end you appear to take issue with those who show delight with what they are doing.

I ultimately have no interest in your views but feel it's about time you stated your case. Your views regarding the 02 caused upset and now you appear to be intent on doing the same with the road van.

What is you agenda?

Rob

Edited by nhy581
  • Like 1

Hi   nhy581  I suggest you look at the CADs of the Road Van and compare with the photo below and see how many of the 13 errors I have already found that you can spot.

It's a QUIZ posed by Kernow/DJM  called  "SPOT THE BALL"  no sorry! its called "SPOT THE BALLS-UP"    "The Country Needs You" or rather Kernow does to get them out of the, potential mess just as happened to some extent with the LSWR O2.  Remember how it was pointed out by Joe Public that there was no stiffening rib on the roof, the Westinghouse pump was far too large, there should be a smaller pump on the Mainland locos, the safety valve base was completely the wrong shape,  They did change all those, but are you sure that the critics who pointed out slightly less obvious mistakes were completely misguided in view of the fact that the initial CADs showed such large errors ??

I have a very simple agenda, which I am prepared to explain but I wonder if you can explain yours.  I have tried to help manufacturers produce accurate models for over 45 years, from Martin Finney and Golden Age models down to individuals wanting just one component for themselves.  When I have tried to help in the early stages with  "certain ranges of models" I have been shouted down by contributors saying "why don't you wait, I am sure the model will be fine when you see it !"  or "these are only preliminary CADs and there are many modifications yet to be done"      If I wait until pre-production models appear, having seen no further CADs, I am then accused of deliberately waiting until it is too late to alter the model.  Sorreee! you can't have it both ways.  

It matters little to me personally if very poor models are produced  as I can afford to get around the problem but there are many who have been very disappinted, having waited two or three years for something only to find they would have been far better building a kit or buying a similar item on ebay or even getting someone to build them a model.  I look forward to seeing how many errors you find on the Road Van, you might even find one or two I missed as I am not infallible.  However, be aware, if you try and persuade members of these forums that there are errors, you may well find yourself barred, just as I have been !!!!   I look forward to hearing from aussiebrfan on the forum about exactly what he disagreed with in post 44, have you any idea ??   Maybe he too has an agenda !    Regards adrianbs

Edited by adrianbs

• RMweb Gold

I'm having considerable difficulty comparing it (the CAD) with 'the photo below' which seems to be missing from your post - could you link it please as there are numerous photos of these vehicles on the 'net so it would be helpful to know which one you have used.

Presumably the fact that the vehicle was scanned has introduced some errors - it would be interesting to know how that has happened although I do realise scans have to be interpreted correctly to be of use but it seems odd that the CAD has deviated in 13 places.

Edited by The Stationmaster

However, be aware, if you try and persuade members of these forums that there are errors, you may well find yourself barred, just as I have been !!!!  

Obviously you're not barred from the forum as you're still here; however access to certain topics was removed as you did nothing but go on and on and on and on and on and on until many people just get pig sick of it (I think I've explained that before).

You do have an unfortunate keyboard manner in presenting where you think there's an issue (which is frequently accompanied by a statement saying just how good you are); many people have said you're a nice bloke and knowledgeable (which I accept you very probably are) but you do have a manner which winds a lot of people up.

I am confident that Kernow have the right contacts to work towards producing good models which people wish to buy, backed by an owner who works as hard as anyone I know in the business to progress projects. I'd say there's a good number of issues you damn a project with aren't as much of an issue as you state and to be fair I've noticed errors that you've not banged on about. If I ever do spot anything at an appropriate time I just drop the interested party with a note, that seems to work.

So lets have less of the glib statements and trying to predict a riot please.

Please accept this in the spirit intended as a final friendly reminder about conduct.

• Like 1

Hi Stationmaster    Hope you are going to join in the quiz, the more the merrier.  I am afraid there is no prize apart from, perhaps?  a more accurate model we can all enjoy    Just try scrolling down a wee bit more below the CADs and all will be revealed..   I am afraid I doubt it is the Laser scanner unless it has some very unusual faults.  It is I am sure, more likely to be poor interpretation backed up by inadequate  or zero QC.  I am sure Kernow will be delighted with your findings, as will I

For those wanting to know latest dates in service  ( Departmental) they may be around the mid 60s, Terry Gough shows one in his book in '67 but it may have been out of use.It is DS54538 and looks like one of the piped ones as it has a pipe into the cabin and instanters.  There is a picture of one of the MSWJR ones in Mike Kings  "Southern Wagons Pictorial" which is the one I had a copy of years ago I think, so that saves the search.,  I can see no sign of a vacuum cylinder which makes me think they may not have been fitted but only piped     . I look forward to seeing your findings on the forum, as I am sure will Kernow,  it will save them spending money on in-house checking and may speed up the process significantly.        Regards adrianbs 

Edited by adrianbs