Kernow OO gauge LSWR Road Van

DJM Dave

On 25/07/2021 at 13:17, Oldddudders said:

As far as I am aware, no-one died in a ditch because their new brakevan took a couple of extra days to arrive. 

I read all those "Where's mine??!!" posts with some amusment, because mine arrived ages ago, and TBH is a total mystery to me, because I have absolutely no recollection of ever ordering it, and have no real use for it, being mostly into 0 and 15mm/ft.

911E8C3A-F9E9-4670-852C-E7A80F359F65.jpeg.87018e0c5b16fca8ff9b202717cfb030.jpeg

I must have ordered it during a brief moment when I planned a 00 LSWR Light Railway, pre-Covid. I decided pretty swiftly that was a diversion, and cancelled the Terrier order, but presumably forgot to cancel this!

Anyway, it is very nice indeed, and makes me think about building a 00 LSWR Light Railway ...... Oh, hang on a minute .........

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Funny 14

I was thinking of hoarding it until they're all sold, then selling it on ebay at an outrageous mark-up, but since I'm an habitual hoarder, I shall probably simply hoard it, just in case I ever do build a 00 LSWR Light Railway.

Maybe one of the fates posted it to me, because she's decided that I'll need it one day. Wrapping it up and putting a stamp on it was probably a welcome break from all that endless weaving.

• Like 6
  • Funny 1

Anyone contemplating fitting three-link couplings and/or spring buffers to one ( or more ) of these vans will have to create space behind the buffer beams as the floor cuts across at this height.

( And anyone contemplating rostering a guard to pose on the veranda will have to give him a box to stand on ! )

• Informative/Useful 1

On 31/07/2021 at 13:40, cctransuk said:

If I am to produce a transfer sheet dedicated to the BR-era lettering on these vans, I would like to fill an A6 sheet with a good choice of subjects.

I can obtain number series information from the appropriate wagon history tome but, if there were any recorded number / service allocations apart from the Bodmin / Wadebridge / Padstow one, I could include these on the sheet.

I would need a decent photo in order to reproduce the spacing / layout of the prototype, so any contributions would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

John Isherwood,

Cambridge Custom Transfers.

Since I have been unable to identify any other number / allocation pairs, I have decided simply to produce transfers at 4mm. scale for the allocation boards and NOT IN COMMON USE / 10-18 for S54663 - the Bodmin / Wenford Bridge van.

4BL0187_.JPG.387b63de1426fee28b77029f90f4a1f7.JPG

I have included two sets, as a safeguard against application errors, and you will need to carefully erase the existing tare weights and their black patches. I have not included the van numbers as these seem to be perfectly satisfactory on the model.

These transfers will be available, FREE OF CHARGE, if you send a small SAE to me at CCT, 6 Roseland Gardens, Bodmin, PL31 2EY; the SAE should contain a close-fitting piece of card, ideally glossy, so that your transfers will arrive in good condition.

John Isherwood,

https://www.cctrans.org.uk/products.htm

• Like 8
  • Thanks 5

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

Since I have been unable to identify any other number / allocation pairs, I have decided simply to produce transfers at 4mm. scale for the allocation boards and NOT IN COMMON USE / 10-18 for S54663 - the Bodmin / Wenford Bridge van.

I have included two sets, as a safeguard against application errors, and you will need to carefully erase the existing tare weights and their black patches. I have not included the van numbers as these seem to be perfectly satisfactory on the model.

These transfers will be available, FREE OF CHARGE, if you send a small SAE to me at CCT, 6 Roseland Gardens, Bodmin, PL31 2EY; the SAE should contain a close-fitting piece of card, ideally glossy, so that your transfers will arrive in good condition.

John Isherwood,

Smashing offer John. I'm off to find some envelopes and stamps...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Yes, EM wheels DO fit* .....but only just ............ and you'll have to re-profile the bearing holes or swap wheels onto the Kernow axles as they have a more acute taper.

Can't comment on P4 wheels : the gauge is wider but the wheels are narrower ........... !

* I have Gibson split spoke in one and an old set of Ultrascale ten-spoke in t'other.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, durham light infantry said:

Mine arrived in the post at work this morning, will get a better look tonight.

Just a question re the Wadebridge example. Verandah at the Padstow or Bodmin end?

Given that the verandah in one of the photos was next to the smokebox of the Beattie Well Tank, and that the chimney end was generally pointing uphill towards Wenford, I would say the verandah would be towards Padstow. 

In a second photo, van stored out of use in the Wadebridge Quay sidings, the verandah seems to be pointing away from the mainline. This again would say Padstow end to me.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, ullypug said:

Anyone managed to get either EM or P4 wheels in yet? Looks a bit tight and I may need to thin down the w irons

20 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

Yes, EM wheels DO fit* .....but only just ............ and you'll have to re-profile the bearing holes or swap wheels onto the Kernow axles as they have a more acute taper.

Can't comment on P4 wheels : the gauge is wider but the wheels are narrower ........... !

* I have Gibson split spoke in one and an old set of Ultrascale ten-spoke in t'other.

I didn't get the chance to amend the axle box thickness on this project due timing of starting at KMRC and the EP arriving, and not wanting to delay the project for the majority any further, I did manage to get the axle length amended to 26mm as it was originally shorter. 

I will endeavour to ensure that future wagon projects are a little more wider gauge friendly. 

For those wanting to remove the underframe items this drawing might be of assistance. 

Exploded.jpg.b51be4a3eacf53768e074469204bc22f.jpg

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, durham light infantry said:

A short engineers train...

IMG20210802192926.jpg.cbfda0814dcedac07692d23c3d5e0fba.jpg

12 hours ago, durham light infantry said:

Having too much fun

IMG20210802194924.jpg.f4fd3eb46fd01034c9a598086eae01e3.jpgIMG20210802194525.jpg.c18d16bc6ca3c4223cda7f99b6b72949.jpg

Looking very good, Mike. 

Rob. 

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

On 01/08/2021 at 21:51, cctransuk said:

John Isherwood,

I still have twelve sets of these transfers remaining, from a sheet of fifteen sets that I printed.

Surely more than three of us need a Bodmin / Wadebridge / Padstow road van, that ran on the Wenford Bridge branch?

The only cost will be an SAE - see above.

John Isherwood,

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, cctransuk said:

I still have twelve sets of these transfers remaining, from a sheet of fifteen sets that I printed.

Surely more than three of us need a Bodmin / Wadebridge / Padstow road van, that ran on the Wenford Bridge branch?

The only cost will be an SAE - see above.

John Isherwood,

My SAE will be in the post tomorrow morning John.

Thanks for the very generous offer. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Converted to EM quite easily in the end by filing down the pinpoints slightly.

But yes Graham it would be great if you could make the W irons a little wider next time please!

IMG_9543 (1).jpeg

• Like 5