Kernow OO gauge LSWR Road Van

DJM Dave

• RMweb Gold

Everybody blames the Chinese! I think it’s more probable that Kernow’s market research shows that there isn’t sufficient interest to justify the capital expenditure

So far four years and nothing. If Kernow thought they were going to make money on this item they’d have made sure it was on the shelves by now. They have introduced other model in the mean time which implies that the hold up is not in China

It must be being so cheerful that keeps you going. They will arrive when they arrive. I will be pleased to see them, but life goes on until that day. 

So far four years and nothing. If Kernow thought they were going to make money on this item they’d have made sure it was on the shelves by now. They have introduced other model in the mean time which implies that the hold up is not in China

Kernow Models have introduced many models but with any new model they release there needs to be research, checking CAD's and other items that require attention also there needs to be  funds available to make the tooling. Don't forget that Kernow is a still a small business with few employees which gets less with exhibitions and so on which means less time checking details.

Along with new models Kernow have announced special liveries onto existing models which also requires time to check the artwork and so on.  

Only this van and the steam Railcar are on the back burner so I'll be amazed if they have time for anything else right now but clearly they have been deeply motivated over the past year to move these projects forwards.

It may appear that they have only two projects on the back burner but perhaps they are working on other models that have not been announced. Also don't forget that they are working on the Bolster E.

• Like 1

I suspect that they have been really busy with everything else they just got or are getting out. Looking over the last several months : 4-TC, Bulleid Diesels, Gate Stock, Turbots, 1361s to name a few most of which are older, a couple nearly twice the age.

About to come, more Bulieid diesels and D6xx.

Not to mentions all those exclusive loco classes from Bachmann and Hornby.

Only this van and the steam Railcar are on the back burner so I'll be amazed if they have time for anything else right now but clearly they have been deeply motivated over the past year to move these projects forwards.

Ok I’ll buy that but your post above indicates to me that the absence of this model is not the fault of the Chinese but a deliberate decision by Kernow to favour the production of the models you mention rather than the road van. The reason why Kernow made such a decision must be financial ie profitability.

• RMweb Gold

Ok I’ll buy that but your post above indicates to me that the absence of this model is not the fault of the Chinese but a deliberate decision by Kernow to favour the production of the models you mention rather than the road van. The reason why Kernow made such a decision must be financial ie profitability.

There may not be anything deliberate about it.

If progress on one or more of the other models (locos particularly) is advancing faster than expected, the obvious thing to do is move the "quick win" up the batting order, which may have the knock on effect of commandeering time that had been earmarked for your particular pet.

Personally, I want at least one of all the steam-era items that are on the way from Kernow and am not that fussed in what order they arrive, so long as they do. 

John

• Like 1

Kernow hinted many years ago, before the LSWR van, that they were working on secret projects with Bachmann (there were photos of 5 contracts on Facebook). The 4-TC might well have been that so this did not jump ahead. The Bulleid and D6xx are getting on for nearly twice the age of the van, some down to the previous contract between them and Dapol going kaput, some down to the prototypes no longer existing and the need to source accurate data, but we saw real progress over them last year.

The gate stock is older than the LSWR van and was delivered only last year.

Granted the Turbot jumped the queue.

For a small company, those projects are huge resources in terms of time and money. It took them the best part of 2 months just to send out the final results of just one of them to us customers.

I don't remember seeing any comments from them blaming the Chinese though. I'm confident we will see progress on the van once the dust settles everywhere else.

Edited by JSpencer

You are making all sorts of assumptions from a position of a complete lack of knowledge. Finite resources and development issues can see one project leapfrog another; it happens with all manufacturers. Others have set you right so I don't see why I should have to on top of their replies but I will ask you to stop making further wild assertions.

Everybody blames the Chinese! I think it’s more probable that Kernow’s market research shows that there isn’t sufficient interest to justify the capital expenditure

Sorry but this is unfounded and incorrect. Kernow will have their reasons for the time taken but it is going ahead and am sure there will be more news soon...

I have to disagree with that.

Recent introductions have seen strong sales for pre group liveries and ex L&SWR prototypes in general. A brake van specific to these routes cannot fail as far as I can see.

Your post is purely speculative. If it is based on fact then please feel free to share such information on which you base the above.

Rob

Agree with Graham and "NHY".

The delayed production has nothing whatever to do with profitability of the subject. You ("Penrith Beacon") have kindly quoted Dave Jones' initial post from September 2014 explaining he is a contractor to KMRC. From that message it seems clear to me that any delay in the project is the contractor supplying Kernow with the product. I imagine they have a list of people waiting to buy the van and they presumably have a budget set aside to pay DJ Models for it when it arrives. Sorry "Penrith Beacon" but I think your logic is a little skewed.

Edited by Covkid
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hmmmmmm.... yesterday the 'Roadvan' was still listed as being produced for Kernow by DJ - with delivery in 2018 .............. today DJ seems to have disappeared from the equation and delivery's been put back a year.

( Can't help wondering if Accurascale could be tempted to pick up this baton !!?! )

• Like 1

In the meantime I have this resin version:

post-6958-0-36724900-1528477289_thumb.jpg

2011 Photo.  Unfortunately I can't remember the IOW model company that made it.  Replacing the roof with one that actually covers the ends is on the to do list.

• Like 3

Hmmmmmm.... yesterday the 'Roadvan' was still listed as being produced for Kernow by DJ - with delivery in 2018 .............. today DJ seems to have disappeared from the equation and delivery's been put back a year.

( Can't help wondering if Accurascale could be tempted to pick up this baton !!?! )

No surprise there, last time I looked the road van was still at the CAD stage so a 2018 delivery seemed a bit optimistic.

I wonder if kernow have taken it back in house and dealing direct with a Chinese factory.

• Like 1

Hello Ken

The kit was made by Smallbrook Studio, below is a link to their 4mm IOW and Southern kits, where the LSWR Road Van can be found:

http://www.smallbrookstudio.co.uk/kits-parts/4569521210/4mm-IoW-Southern

Thanks

SEEYA

ANT

Thanks, I could not remember Smallbrook.  Anyway the original material for the roof did not quite fit. Looking at it this morning I will be measuring and cutting a piece of Evergreen .010 sheet to replace. Also new sprung buffers are in order. Window glazing will be a problem as the insert into the roof is CA'd in. The openings are small and not easily seen from most angles so will probably use canopy glue to create a flush glazed look.  With the Kernow offering now receding into a far more distant future, this will remain the only LSWR brake van on my layout.  Later SR vans will be used for most goods traffic.

Now if the new Cambrian goes ahead with the  once promised Diagram 1543 brake van, I may not need another. I have the remains of a Smallbrook larger 18 Ton LSWR Road van kit but some resin castings broke while drilling handrail holes when I tried to assemble it. I am no longer a fan of resin kits these days so may use it as the basis of scratch built van. 

• RMweb Gold

No surprise there, last time I looked the road van was still at the CAD stage so a 2018 delivery seemed a bit optimistic.

I wonder if kernow have taken it back in house and dealing direct with a Chinese factory.

It was very noticeable that Kernows went direct to a Chinese manufacturer to produce the Bulleid diesels and they were turned round in a much shorter timeframe than the 600s, even taking into account the failure of the first 'manufacturer' to develop the project in a timely fashion. Having bought two I am mightily impressed with the qualiity of these particular products and am looking forward to receiving the third version in July. On that basis I rather hope that Kernow are dealing directly with a Chinese manufacturer, then we may see the road van sooner rather than later. Not that my life depends upon it!

all the best

Godfrey

• Like 1

The apparently well connected "Stationmaster" has mentioned in another thread that KMRC no longer have any links to Dave Jones and all their work is now direct with China. I think it was the D6xx thread where it was mentioned that a couple of Kernow reps are out in China at the moment.    

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The apparently well connected "Stationmaster" has mentioned in another thread that KMRC no longer have any links to Dave Jones and all their work is now direct with China. I think it was the D6xx thread where it was mentioned that a couple of Kernow reps are out in China at the moment.    

Indeed ......

• 1 month later...

Reading on the Kernow site the aim is tooling this summer and delivery in 2019

http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/pg-148-LSWR-Road-Van

There seems to have been a recent update, pre-orders need to be paid for up front on this model otherwise you pay the full RRP when the models arrive though some versions made be sold out by then (cunning marketing ploy if ever there was one).

People with existing pre-orders are getting a letter/email about it, sounds like perhaps a pay now option being raised, so this model looks like it needs cash support to progress.

Edited by woodenhead

Reading on the Kernow site the aim is tooling this summer and delivery in 2019

http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/pg-148-LSWR-Road-Van 

There seems to have been a recent update, pre-orders need to be paid for up front on this model otherwise you pay the full RRP when the models arrive though some versions made be sold out by then (cunning marketing ploy if ever there was one).

People with existing pre-orders are getting a letter/email about it, sounds like perhaps a pay now option being raised, so this model looks like it needs cash support to progress.

I'm getting page not found, no mention of it in todays Kernow news letter

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for heads up, Wooders. Nothing heard yet but I will await an email in due course. I have a couple or three on order. (Two BR and a LSWR I think..)

Rob.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info woodenhead. The weekly newsletter advised this week that they have just finished processing the Bulleid diesel, so we may get an update in next weeks newsletter. It will be interesting to see what the proposal is for current pre -orders, as to whether they will be maintained, or cancelled unless payment is made. Seems that Kernow are moving towards prepayment on pre order, as the latest wagon announcement requires prepayment for both single and multi options. Like you, am irked about the marketing ploy of suggesting that if you don't prepay you risk not obtaining a model when they arrive, as I've not known a Kernow tooled commission or own product to have sold out on pre order. When I ordered my three in 2014 they were priced at £24.99, now £10 dearer with an offer of £5 reduction for prepayment, will that also be the offer to existing pre orders, we will see. Would like the model, but may reduce the number to two as I have so much already prepaid and the Accurascale Cemflo will go ahead of these in my priority

• Like 1

Kernow is usually pretty good about honouring the price quoted when an order is placed. Just sometimes, with the passage of time and huge cost increases, it isn’t possible and Kernow tries to soften the blow by offereing credit. A pre-payment discount is usually available until quite close to a model’s arrival. That allows plenty of time to wait for a pause in the flood of other stuff arriving to hand over the money.

Perhaps a Kernow tooled commission or own product hasn’t sold out on pre-order but there are plenty of examples of items elsewhere selling out on pre-order. There’s no reason why you can’t take the chance if you wish but I note that there is only one 10202 remaining.

All in all, I think Kernow is pretty fair and seems to have picked up the production of oddballs when Heljan seemed to lose interest. I for one am very glad of that.

• Like 1

Some may call them oddballs, others will say inspired choices.

My return to OO Gauge was fuelled by the Well Tank, 02 and at the time some way off in the future Gate Stock.

I will be ordering a Road Van (maybe 2) soon.

The steam railmotor seems a bit further away though