Par Station photos 1980's

• 1 month later...

Is there a better station in Cornwall than Par? Lostwithiel maybe but its lost a lot of infrastructure. St Erth is nice but PZ is a bit too business like. Par on the other hand is still loaded with signals, sidings, structures and points with SBZ just up the road.

Brian.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

My late dad lived in Par from 1980 until he died in 2004. I visited him at least a couple of times a year, sometimes more and drove past the station on every occasion. This was before I regained my interest in railways and I only ever went there by train once. Talk about missed opportunities..........

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 1 year later...

Hi Jeremy

, I'm relatively new to the railways of the Cornish area, I am based up on Merseyside, where most of the local railways were decimated with the decline of local Docks traffic. Th Cornish area has always fascinated me, and I am doing a bit of research into a Cornish layout (post- Beeching) I am hoping to sift through a few layouts to see which would be most suitable.Is there one available for Par?Any help you can tender would be much appreciated. I am looking towards the 70's era.

Thanks, Dean

Hi Jeremy

, I'm relatively new to the railways of the Cornish area, I am based up on Merseyside, where most of the local railways were decimated with the decline of local Docks traffic. Th Cornish area has always fascinated me, and I am doing a bit of research into a Cornish layout (post- Beeching) I am hoping to sift through a few layouts to see which would be most suitable.Is there one available for Par?Any help you can tender would be much appreciated. I am looking towards the 70's era.

Thanks, Dean

Hi Dean,

I started a model of Par station but unfortunately it currently remains unfinished as I've since started a new layout project. However, I do plan to finish it one day!

Here is the link to my thread http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/70745-par-station-st-blazey-depot-1980s-cornish-mainline-in-2mmfs/

Best regards,

Jeremy

• 5 months later...

Good afternoon,

I've finally started to get some more of my slides from my collection scanned in now, so her is one to be going on with until I can get some more uploaded.

Here is one of the original liveried HST's lead by power car 253034 arriving at Par on an up express on the 10th September 1982. Power cars 43137 + 43136

A DMU lurks on the opposite side of the platform, possible waiting to connect the service to Newquay.

post-10222-0-60402100-1468326552_thumb.jpg

More to follow!

Best regards,

Jeremy

Edited by cornish trains jez
  • Like 4

One more for this afternoon.

Railfreight liveried class 37669 arrives with a rake of Tiger PBA's, 2x HEA's and what looks like some kind of 4 wheel tippler/ballast/spoil wagon. The loco later ran round the train and after some shunting, headed round the curve to St Blazey. Circa 1988.

post-10222-0-86553600-1468330201_thumb.jpg

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Also of interest are the 2 GUV's in the engineers siding which were later 'de-wheeled' and used in the yard for storage. IIRC they lasted in that use until about 2003 when they were chopped up and replaced with purpose built stores for P-way materials.

Edited to say CCT's, not GUV's. kindly corrected by Brian, I'd completely forgotten- CCT's versus GUV's! :blush:

Edited by Gary H

Good evening,

Here are a few more for tonight.

Continuing first with 37669 which has, from the previous photo, shunted around its train ready to propel the train back and then head into St Blazey.

post-10222-0-30437900-1468527011_thumb.jpg

Next up, large logo class 47481 with an ex-Penzance van train. 37675 lurks in the background waiting for a path with a rake of CDA's.

post-10222-0-55983900-1468527072_thumb.jpg

Railfreight liveried 37675 "Willima Cookworthy" departs with the CDA's.

post-10222-0-54138000-1468527141_thumb.jpg

Railfreight liveried 50149 arrives with a speedlink working bound for St Blazey.

post-10222-0-32175300-1468527186_thumb.jpg

And finally, large logo 47564 "Collusus" heads through Par with two MK1 BG vans. 37675 wiats in the background as seen in the previous photos.

post-10222-0-40611200-1468527273_thumb.jpg

More to follow soon.

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Like 10

• 3 years later...
  • 2 months later...
1 hour ago, cornish trains jez said:

Good afternoon,

Following on from the last photo, 37203 emerges from underneath the bridge with a rake of mineral wagons on 1st May 1981.

Best regards,

Jeremy

With that signal off I am wondering if the loco is heading away from the camera.

I believe trains up from the west sometimes had a loco attached rear in order to haul around to St Blazey. Or the loco has been run-round onto the rear, then propelled out under the bridge to then haul around to St Blazey. 

cheers

• Like 1
  • Agree 2