Par Station photos 1980's

4 minutes ago, Rivercider said:

With that signal off I am wondering if the loco is heading away from the camera.

I believe trains up from the west sometimes had a loco attached rear in order to haul around to St Blazey. Or the loco has been run-round onto the rear, then propelled out under the bridge to then haul around to St Blazey. 

cheers

Hi,

Here is another photo from the same day. A West bound HST, 253010,  has just pulled in and you can see that the loco has detached from its rake of wagons. As you say, probably a run round to then propel into St Blazey.

HST_253010_at_Par_1st_May_1981.jpg.fc09364a495e55591d9a88634d7db9f3.jpg

Best regards,

Jeremy

Edited by cornish trains jez
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, cornish trains jez said:

Hi,

Here is another photo from the same day. A West bound HST, 253010,  has just pulled in and you can see that the loco has detached from its rake of wagons. As you say, probably a run round to then propel into St Blazey.

Best regards,

Jeremy

Nice.

Presumably coal empties from either St Austell, or Ponsandane by that date.

cheers

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Great photos I remember that period well.

Seen lots of those 4 coach locals usually with a 50.

The observation car may have been DW80975

• 9 months later...

I'm a newbie to the forum so please excuse if this post is in any way incorrect. The thread on Par station is fascinating and has helped me a lot. I am building a station based (very) loosely on Par and have a question. I am currently kit bashing a Gaugemaster Signal Box kit to hopefully resemble a shorter version of the box at Par. I am about to fit out the interior and wonder does the lever frame face the front or the rear of the box? I know that normally lever frames face the front but I believe the nearby one at St Blazey faced the rear.

Thanks Keith Vincer 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, KV12543 said:

I'm a newbie to the forum so please excuse if this post is in any way incorrect. The thread on Par station is fascinating and has helped me a lot. I am building a station based (very) loosely on Par and have a question. I am currently kit bashing a Gaugemaster Signal Box kit to hopefully resemble a shorter version of the box at Par. I am about to fit out the interior and wonder does the lever frame face the front or the rear of the box? I know that normally lever frames face the front but I believe the nearby one at St Blazey faced the rear.

Thanks Keith Vincer 

The easiest way to answer this, Keith, is to say that if you walk up the steps and enter the box the frame is on the left.

Having been in both boxes, Par frame does indeed face to the Up Platform (the front) and BZ faces the yard (the back)

oh I see St Enodoc has worded it much better while I was temporarily lost in the depths of in Kernow Dreams :D

• Thanks 1

Signalmen often describe a box as "back to the job" if the frame is along the back wall, or "facing the job" if you stand looking over the frame to see the trains.  There isn't any hard and fast rule as to which is usual.  Sometimes when a box had its frame replaced it would be put in the alternative position because that way the old frame could still be used whilst the fitters were working on the new one, the changeover usually being done outside traffic hours.

Par signalling (as at 1968 and 1992) is shown in Vol 14 of  GA Pryer's "Signalbox Digrams of the Great Western & Southern Railways.  George Pryer followed the convention used by the SRS and others to which orientation was used, by using a rectangular outline of the box containing a horizontal line representing the frame with a dot representing the position of the signalman (or two dots if it was a double manned box).  The frame being nearer the Up Main and signlman nearer the Branch platform. 

St Blazey (1956&1976) is also shown in the same volume as worked facing the job.

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Signalmen often describe a box as "back to the job" if the frame is along the back wall, or "facing the job" if you stand looking over the frame to see the trains.

Agreed, but that doesn't help completely at Par as there are trains (and windows) on both sides of the box!

29 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

George Pryer followed the convention used by the SRS and others to which orientation was used, by using a rectangular outline of the box containing a horizontal line representing the frame with a dot representing the position of the signalman

Official signal box diagrams often use the same convention.

• Like 1

Its not often I would say It...

But its that invisible ink thing

I've just told how both boxes are set up - I'm not guessing, or imagining

I'm not makin it up or owt like....

I sometimes wonder why people who know even bother sometimes.

• Friendly/supportive 2