making my own LNWR signals - signals now solenoid operated

Hi, this is a signal I'm currently finishing for my layout. It's my first go at a signal and has come out better than I expected. Arms and lamps are MSE, posts are Brass from Eileens Emporium, I just need to add the 'diamond' to it and a cap for the doll, plus a couple of counterweights. The little operating coil is sprung return to 'Stop', so kind of fail safe! The Distant will be fixed. The operating arm was quite fiddly to make and I take my hat off to those who make working linkages on their signals... that is some feat! 

LNWRbracketsig_zpsaa08829c.jpg

I have sourced ideas and inspiration from Richard Fosters superb book - Pictorial record of LNWR signalling.

Next up I intend to try and make a underslung Bracket signal

joe

Edited by Joe MCMLXI
  • Like 12

• 2 weeks later...

Here's the completed signal in position on my layout ( I must start a thread on it, at some point) - behind,to the right, is the end of the  'off scene' station, underneath the overbidge ( which is three storage loops) and the entrance to the colliery 'washery', is to the left, I am currently making the ground signal to control entrance to it.

bracketinposition_zpse0e57173.jpg

so now I am starting on a 'underslung' signal, to stand at the exit from the 'station'. Its position will unfortunately be technically wrong, as it will be beyond the fouling point.... but i just wanted to have this type of signal on my LNWR 'flavour' layout.

The signal is 'freelance' using a photo in a book as inspiration ( thank you Richard Foster!), its dimensions are all guessed! But it should have the feel of the LNWR about it when finished.

lnwrunderslungframe_zps3c4f63ff.jpg

joe

• Like 11

• 1 month later...

Just a quick update....

I soon realised the underslung I was building ( inspired by the photo) was wrong for my situation - I didn't need the distant arms.

So the posts have been shortened, a ladder added to the front, to access the weights and now i'm starting to make an access platform for behind the arms, again, this will have a ladder but from behind the post. The photo in the book is not very clear how this is attached, so it will be a bit of guess work - but in the end its only a 'flavour' of a LNWR signal - so a bit of fantasy will have to do!

The signal so far;

20141115_122433_zps1dcd81e8.jpg

current work bench this morning!

20141115_112946_zps977c7201.jpg

joe

• Like 4

A bit more work this afternoon has produced this;

20141115_192850_zpsdc514ba7.jpg

As can be seen, a lot of cleaning up is required!, and there's a few non square bits!, but I think it will 'tone down' once cleaned up and the first coat of paint goes on.

This is the view from the front;

20141115_192922_zps7d2b6f59.jpg

joe

• Like 6

Nearly there.....

20141118_105251_zps7613a0e5.jpg

just a few more details to do.... paint the arms, lens to fit for the arms, backbinders to fit etc. Then plant on the layout.

20141118_105236_zps15edd536.jpg

I intend to leave the arms 'loose' and poseable, as I don't have the skills to make this signal operational.... joe

• Like 5

intend to leave the arms 'loose' and poseable, as I don't have the skills to make this signal operational.... joe

Joe. if you have the skills to get this far, you have the skills to make it work properly. Give it a try, it's not "Rocket Science", if you are unsure of the layout of the wire cranks etc, sketch it out on a sheet of paper, you will soon master it. Yours, Mick

• Like 1

Joe,

The signals are just beautifully made and so Intricate. The attention to detail is evident on both the signals and the layout itself, I would very much look forward to seeing a layout thread

I would echo Micks comment in giving it a go to mechanise them, you clearly have the skillset to make a go of it

Cheers

David

thank you for the kind comments..... I think you have set me a challenge!

Here's the final pics prior to planting on the layout, I will set it in its position and then take a final picture, then you will see its non-prototype setting! 

20141119_164441_zpse4119aa2.jpg

20141119_162918_zpsf89dd670.jpg

I've really enjoyed making these so far.... with the odd burn and fingers glued together!  I think I need to try to use smaller brass for the posts, as the MSE LNWR post tops, don't 'overhang' the posts like they do in the photo's in David Fosters excellent reference book - A Pictorial Record of LNWR signalling -  which is really giving me the drive to have a go at these signals - I'm trying to make the unusual ones as they have 'character'......

Hi David, The layout has a brief thread, if you search 'Slancote' is should bring you up a link..... I tried to make a link at the bottom of my posts, but as yet, have not succeeded in making it 'clickable !

joe

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

I think I need to try to use smaller brass for the posts, as the MSE LNWR post tops, don't 'overhang' the posts like they do in the photo's in David Fosters excellent reference book - A Pictorial Record of LNWR signalling -  which is really giving me the drive to have a go at these signals - I'm trying to make the unusual ones as they have 'character'......

Cough - Richard Foster.

The signals are Bangor iirc.

Oops, thanks Beast! 

Bangor is spot on......

The signal is now on the layout.... its totally wrong in its position / location, I realise that, but once I had seen the photo in Richards book and wanted to try making one, that was the only place on the layout ( that was already built ) that I could really justify putting it - a restricted view from the 'off scene station platforms' by the over bridge.,,,

I am now seeing the type of problems that arise from not fully planning a layout before building it. ( note to self - plan, check,  build! ) but hey, its still fun. :-)

20141119_194323_zps768903e4.jpg

20141119_194428_zpsdd739aa1.jpg

Next is a single post, with arms for both directions.....

joe

• Like 6

The next signal I have started is a single post, with 3 arms on.

The photo is from the excellent 'Bible' of LNWR signalling by Richard Foster -  'A pictorial Record of LNWR Signalling' and has been the main inspiration to have a go at making these signals. 

20140316_140013_zps85ef73a0.jpg

My signal will be mounted in a narrow cutting with, quite severe curves at either end, so sighting would be difficult, hence the arms for both directions being on one post. The arms will be cut down, from full length arms, again due to the clearance in the cutting.

The post will have the 'Advanced Starter' from the Colliery junction, to allow coal trains to pull forward from the station, but then reverse into the Colliery area without leaving the 'Block'.

In the opposite direction, towards the ' off scene station', will be a 'Outer Home' and 'Inner Distant' - I have a feeling they may be technically wrong - but again, I just wanted a slightly unusual signal again with x-LNWR  components. I will try to operate these using small coils mounted under the signal, one can be seen on the signal, but I have since fitted the second....

joe

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Atlantic Dock Junction, the distant was for (the terminal) Alexandra Dock and would (probably) be fixed (there were instances of working distants reading into terminal stations).

Your nomenclature is not correct but your models are superb and you enjoy them so that's fine

Here's some more modern photos of the same place.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/59222-atlantic-dock-junction/

• 2 weeks later...

Although the 3 arm signal is still on-going, I got distracted by thinking about the Distant signal that will be seen before it.

Another signal on a left hand curve !. The curse of the 'roundy' layout !

Having looked at what space was available for sighting the signal, I decided I would make a small bracket signal.....

distantbracket3_zps66ed7850.jpg

this is its current state, the post base is overlength, likewise the ladder, the ladder will be trimmed to suit. The signal will be 'planted' to just above the change in post size that can just be made out.

Joe

• Like 4

The 3 - arm post has not been ignored!

A little more progress;

LNWR3arm7_zps2cbe5d5a.jpg

looks a bit rough & ready ( it probably is! ) but a fettle up with some files, a trio of arms and a lick with the paints should bring it to 'life' in a LNWR 'style', i hope

joe

• Like 7

• 7 months later...

Heck, over 6 months since my last post on here! - well a small puppy arrived over Xmas and that's put a halt on modelling..... but a small bit of progress has happened to both projects...

first the 'Distant' - just requires glazing and painting...

20150719_171652_zpswqk1yy5v.jpg

then the 3-arm.... again requires glazing of the arms and painting... I'm also debating as to whether to fit a second access ladder...?

20150719_171912_zpsm6kdmc6v.jpg

20150719_171930_zpsyo3p6lw0.jpg

joe

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Further work has seen the 'Distant' bracket signal nearly finished. Still requiring the pivot arm trimming back and a back binder to be fitted.

This will be its position on the layout..... a CL108 bound for Friden passes by....

20150729_201418_zpsx3yk0vhz.jpg

joe

One thing that is very obvious.... no Driver !   I fitted passengers, but could not see an easy way of fitting a driver.... has anyone done this successfully?

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

Latest news - the 3 arm has progressed, the signal has been loosely 'planted'

3%20arm%20close%20up_zpsmgfsxtey.jpg

I am thinking of adding a second ladder for the 'lampman'. I also need to fit the Backbinders. I need to address the 'Yellow' of the Distant.

3%20arm%20in%20cutting_zps3bjwtybr.jpg

My next dilemma is to whether the lowest arm needs a 'Sighting Board' ?  What do people think? The line has a low track speed due to the curvature - so it's unlikely a train will approach with any speed.....

view%20of%203arm%20from%20cutting_zpsriz

joe

• Like 5

• 3 months later...

The signal is finally finished, with the two Home boards operated by solenoids, the operating wires being not too visible....

Finished%20signal_zpsvgia19fw.jpg

The next 'flavour' of LNWR I will start on,  will be the finishing off, of the 'off scene' station area..... a new topic to be started....

joe

• Like 5

• 2 years later...

Two years later ! !... and finally the signals are solenoid operated. Just been in the shed wiring up the coils to a 'Center Off' SPST switch. I can use this to select the signals to go with the train direction. A bit basic, but it works....

whats been happening in two years? Not a lot to be honest, but really enjoy running Hornbys Live Steam locomotives....

joe

Edited by Joe MCMLXI
  • Like 4

• 2 years later...
On 20/09/2014 at 09:35, Joe MCMLXI said:

Hi, this is a signal I'm currently finishing for my layout. It's my first go at a signal and has come out better than I expected. Arms and lamps are MSE, posts are Brass from Eileens Emporium, I just need to add the 'diamond' to it and a cap for the doll, plus a couple of counterweights. The little operating coil is sprung return to 'Stop', so kind of fail safe! The Distant will be fixed. The operating arm was quite fiddly to make and I take my hat off to those who make working linkages on their signals... that is some feat! 

LNWRbracketsig_zpsaa08829c.jpg

I have sourced ideas and inspiration from Richard Fosters superb book - Pictorial record of LNWR signalling.

Next up I intend to try and make a underslung Bracket signal

joe

You mention the "little operating coil". Do you mean something like this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-DC-suction-micro-electromagnet-spring-push-pull-type-rod-solenoid-magne-jk/353310843027?hash=item5242f7a093:g:0mUAAOSw1vxckx8P ?

So if I understand correctly it is a solenoid with the armature sticking out both ends, one end sprung, forcing a return when power is off, which return is then limited by a plate? What limits the throw when the power is on, is it a collar on the operating rod? 

Hi Woodbine, when the coil is energised, it goes to its full stroke. This is the point I set the Signal arm to its 'off' position and glue the operating wire to the rod ( very crude, but for me it works.

I then adjust the plate, by gradually bending it, so that when the coil power is switched off, the spring pulls the armature back onto the plate. The plate position is adjusted until the Signal arm is horizontal 'On'.

Here are a couple of pictures that might help

joe

lnwr 1.jpg

lnwr 2.jpg

lnwr 3.jpg

• Like 2