Legs

cromptonnut

I've used 2 pieces 18 by 44mm PSE timber, glue to form an L girder. One is a bit shorter than the other, so the module frame, rather than the top, rests on the legs.  2 Legs are joined by some 6mm ply to form a double "H" shape. At the top I used a bit more timber to form a slot in the inner side of the module, and at the bottom some adjustable feet from Station Road Baseboards (no connection, but excellent service)post-23500-0-66061500-1411624344_thumb.jpgpost-23500-0-96402000-1411624348.jpg

I've used 2 pieces 18 by 44mm PSE timber, glue to form an L girder. One is a bit shorter than the other, so the module frame, rather than the top, rests on the legs.  2 Legs are joined by some 6mm ply to form a double "H" shape. At the top I used a bit more timber to form a slot in the inner side of the module, and at the bottom some adjustable feet from Station Road Baseboards (no connection, but excellent service)attachicon.gif20140920_module_1.jpgattachicon.gif20140920_module_2.jpg

Very neat indeed, even the underside has a coat of paint !!

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Just looking at legs :whistle:  which hopefully are this weeks project.  

Is it better to have them at the end of the board up against the end board, a few inches in ? or some distance proportional to the length of the board?

Also curved boards just a set of legs at each end or a set in the middle also?

Any more photos or diagrams hugely appreciated. :good:

Many Thanks

Steve

I think it depends on the size of the board(s).

On my 4ft modules I have a set of legs at each end.

On my 12ft fiddle yard I have two sets of legs on the first board, then one at the outer end of board 2 and board 3.

On my circular module I have a set of legs every other join and a single leg inbetween.

On a 6ft board I'd probably do each end and a middle 'helper'.

Lots of variables...

Is it better to have them at the end of the board up against the end board, a few inches in ? or some distance proportional to the length of the board?

An interesting question.

When I get round 2 it Kenton's Curve will have 5 (that's the plan anyway) one on the outside of the curve and two at each module end.

But I'll need to think aain about how far in at the module end because they have the potential to collide with the arrangement used by the adjacent modules.

My current plans are for two 2x1 for each leg almost infinitely adjustable for length (well not quite) but it will exceed the spec adjustment height by some way. One half slotted and two coach bolts per leg.

[i don't like the "agreed" spec height and rather than 2 sets of legs for every module I would rather have legs adjustable to the spec and for personal preference use at home] The idea is to have them slot into boxes in the module frame.

• 7 months later...

I use IVAR side units by IKEA. Cut to length, fitted with adjustable feet and a plywood strap to be bolted at the end of the module (Fremo 0e uses 6 mm bolts in 10 mm holes, providing some mm to adjust "not-so-precise" joints) The bottom of the module rests at the ends of the columns. Of course it is possible to make them fit in pockets too. IKEA provides a suitable length of 1240 mm / 4 ft and two widths of 300mm / approx 1 ft and 500 mm / approx 1ft 8" . There are suitable crossbraces too, called "Observatör".

22210180881_b69c7c7944_z.jpg

Incorporated in a large module arrangement of 0 standard gauge and 0e narrow gauge:

22313095640_88f1874e1f_c.jpg

The IKEA-legs were widely adapted by the modelers of both gauges.

Btw: The side units available in the shops are often distorted - I have ordered mine online.

Michael

Archived