Aller Tunnel

HSB

I thought I'd post a couple of pics I took earlier today of the work on the new tunnel being created at Aller where the Torbay branch will pass under a junction on the South Devon Link Road (aka the Kingskerswell Bypass).

post-12623-0-60941100-1411397132_thumb.jpg

post-12623-0-46774800-1411397146_thumb.jpg

Will it have internal lighting Tim - thus making it not a tunnel?

I believe the Channel Tunnel has internal lighting - does that mean it's not a tunnel? :O

The creation of the Aller Tunnel is actually following normal model railway practice in that the track is in place and the ground is being built up around it!

Forgive this question but as its been a while since we were that way - where is the Torquay line from this picture?  I assume it runs further out from Newton but I thought it now had dedicated tracks between NA and Torquay.  It looks like this picture is taken at the curve near the bottom of the incline.

Could someone please clarify this for me please.

Brian.

Yes, Brian, that is the Torquay road where the lamp posts are (largely hidden behind a great pile of earth from where I took the pictures).

When the new by-pass opens you will be able to get to the traffic-jams on the outskirts of Torquay and on the ring road a lot faster!

• RMweb Gold

I believe the Channel Tunnel has internal lighting - does that mean it's not a tunnel? :O

I think the difference is down to 'permanently lit' (and possibly length?).  The tunnel on the Greenford branch - which also came about from something being built over the railway - was (and presumably still is?) permanently lit and therefore is not classified from a Rules & Regs viewpoint as a tunnel.

The Chunnel has its own Rules & Regs so the usual British classification from an operational viewpoint wouldn't apply anyway.

Just received the latest monthly e-newsletter from the contractors which states that the tunnel will be 270 metres long and will have 110 roof beams which are being fitted at a rate of 11 per weekend.

• RMweb Gold

Just received the latest monthly e-newsletter from the contractors which states that the tunnel will be 270 metres long and will have 110 roof beams which are being fitted at a rate of 11 per weekend.

I've still to enquire officially whether we will be categorising the structure as a tunnel or a long bridge...

• 9 months later...

I've just walked along part of the new road and took this picture of a new culvert on the Plymouth line:-

post-12623-0-98831500-1437838977_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately I couldn't get near the new tunnel but coming away afterwards I took some shots of the new roadbridge just south of it.

post-12623-0-95977300-1437839105_thumb.jpg

Archived