The missing Link or Just Mucking About

Mike

This morning after a close look at the convertor, it has been dumped in the scrap bin. It just didn't look right, too big, too tall and a compromise of shape. I know most of it wouldn't have been seen,but it was just wrong. Last night I found the ideal component for part of the structure a plastic spirit measure, obviously too small for a decent measure of gin ( measure mine by the 2 finger method, 1st and little finger of a spread hand- equates to about a pint) but, just about right for part of the slag convertor and more importantly, the right shape with its flared top. It's not the first time that the drinks cupboard has come up trumps in aiding modelling. Hic. :drink_mini:

Yes I like that Mike,

I too use the finger method of measurement not only for liquids but cake width, if not the wife hands me a piece the size of the ice-berg that sank the Titanic.  I also inspect the recycle tray before its contents get binned for useful items.

Best

Well here goes, I do hope that someone might be looking in so here's a couple of pics of the new slag convertor roughly placed inside the works building. OK. it's in white primer with the photo taken in poor light and you can't see all the details, but it has been constructed from a range of scrap such as a plastic spoon, bits of plasticard and a couple of press studs, so what do you expect, a Rolls Royce. Dream on, once painted it will do for me. :)

post-185-0-99792500-1413484516.jpg

post-185-0-64372400-1413484538.jpg

post-185-0-54762400-1413484560.jpg

Hi Mike

That's looking great as usual but I do have a request........

Any chance you can do a blow by blow account of how you paint and weather this? I for one (& I'm sure lots of others) would really appreciate it. I have already pinched some of your building techniques so may as well go the who.e hog and copy your painting & weathering techniques too

Hi Doug, it will be a few days before I start on the paint job. Cradley Show with Reely Grate this weekend and then Father-in-Laws 102 birthday, so other events take priority,but certainly I'll post some pics once I get going. The spoon sits on top of the spirit measure it's where the Chimney Stack fits. ;)

Hi Doug, it will be a few days before I start on the paint job. Cradley Show with Reely Grate this weekend and then Father-in-Laws 102 birthday, so other events take priority,but certainly I'll post some pics once I get going. The spoon sits on top of the spirit measure it's where the Chimney Stack fits. ;)

Wow 102 that's fantastic but obviously not as important as getting the layout to a show.........

Hope he has a brilliant day

Ok, thought I would start on painting the Muck Works, my process is as follows:

1. All over base coat of Tamiya Deck Tan Acrylic, this is the mortar and Asbestos Cladding

2. Base Coat for the Stone work of Tamiya Flat dark Earth

3. Dry Brush over the Brick Work using Humbrol Brick Red.

More to Follow as I progress. ;)

post-185-0-13377500-1413802788_thumb.jpg

post-185-0-85598800-1413802814_thumb.jpg

post-185-0-33815100-1413802833_thumb.jpg

Hi Mike,

I have to say that I am really enjoying this thread. Your modelling is inspirational and your progress is meteoritic! Have you any tips on how to cut 2mm ply as when I try this it seems to take forever. Is Lite ply different to "normal" ply?

Keep up the good work.

Rod

Hy Rod just in case your waiting here's a link to the supplier from my King street goods posts.>>>

After chatting with Mike of Reely Grate fame at the show weekend I am interested in his building method.

He uses Lite-ply for the building carcasses so I went looking for a supplier.

The first on my search list was this one who were very helpful on the phone too. http://www.slecuk.co...te-Plywood.html.

Didn't take long to jump my priority list, buildings is No 4 on it.  I think I'll swap 4 with 2.  :)

Slec uk are the same people Mike uses.  Ignore the link above it returns you to RM something crazy with the copy and past this works>>>  http://www.slecuk.com/ and look under wood products for lite ply to order look under ONLINE SHOP then balsa, hardwoods and panel products then lite ply.

Regards

Abso-bloomin-lutely  chuffed. Chris Nevard has completed the photos of Reely Grate and Primrose Hill. I think they're stunning, well I would wouldn't I? So now it's wait and see time as to when the article will appear in Model Trains. :imsohappy:

Archived