The missing Link or Just Mucking About

Mike

Hi Mike

Just a quick question on your turnouts, are they a standard geometry or do you make them up as a special for 'industrial' use?

I am slowly making progress on a G1 Micro but I haven't progressed beyond baseboards at the moment, and making points are going to be a whole new adventure for me, especially as they will be non standard, so any tips are most apreciated.

Hi, my point-work is definitely none standard geometry  they are built to a nominal radius of 34 inches but I can still get (just) an 0-6-0 through them. I use code 100 flat bottom rail on copperclad sleepers.

A bit of colour on the chimney stack and a start on the building to bridge the gap between the slag convertor and the factory. Lots of detailing to do, coping stones, pipe work guttering and down pipes etc. :)

post-185-0-17012700-1427992056.jpg

post-185-0-54535400-1427992067.jpg

A bit of colour and a general tinker about. Now its get on with the main building time!!

post-185-0-43299700-1428079799.jpg

post-185-0-73912800-1428079810.jpg

post-185-0-66414200-1428079820.jpg

Note to self- out to lunch Sat, out to lunch Sun, Monday gardening ugh! :resent:

Today, before we go out on a jolly I have been fitting guttering and downpipes and a few bits and bobs. That's are far as i can go until perhaps Tuesday. That's if I can get out of gardening on Monday. wink.gif

I managed a quick 30 minutes when we got back from our afternoon/early evening soiree and managed to tile one roof side and add gutters and downpipes. Hopefully gardening duties permitting I'll be able to finish the tiling on Monday.wink.gif

post-185-0-85183300-1428228914.jpg

Looking good Mike.  Who's guttering and spout pieces do you use, are they plastic or metal as I'm searching for some plastic versions.

I've been looking here  http://www.ema-models.co.uk/index.php/ they have some great stuff but I don't want to use 1/2 round rod but could use some "U" channel for the gutters.  Traditionally older style guttering was 1/2 round but the only type I've found is metal or 00 gauge none in 0 gauge yet.

I don't want to use 1/2 round rod but could use some "U" channel for the gutters.  Traditionally older style guttering was 1/2 round but the only type I've found is metal or 00 gauge none in 0 gauge yet.

Have a look around for some old umbrellas, some of them have nice U channel in metal in the ribs that will do the trick.

Looking good Mike.  Who's guttering and spout pieces do you use, are they plastic or metal as I'm searching for some plastic versions.

I've been looking here [http://www.ema-models.co.uk/index.php/] they have some great stuff but I don't want to use 1/2 round rod but could use some "U" channel for the gutters.  Traditionally older style guttering was 1/2 round but the only type I've found is metal or 00 gauge none in 0 gauge yet.

Hi the material used is plastic sections from Sylmasta, half round hollow 2.5mmx4mm and round tube 2.0mmx3.0mm excellent service and competitive prices. I've added joints etc by using thin strips of tape wrapped round.

This ack-emma I have managed to finish tiling the roof and painted the brickwork, slow but steady progress. I'm looking forward to getting the factory fixed onto the layout so that I can get to grips with the ground cover etc. Managed to get out of some of the gardening.;)

Today after golf  I have mostly been using Resin W wood glue as glazing. I couldn't see the point of purchasing stuff like Glue&Glaze or Microsol Krystal Klear when white glue will do. I'll post some pictures later. :imsohappy:

"after golf".... ;)

Whilst I am no fan of the sport that spoils a good walk, I am full of admiration young Mike, for the fact that you found time for golf, but not gardening, & then the most important business of Railway Modelling.... top man!! :sungum:

"after golf".... ;)

Whilst I am no fan of the sport that spoils a good walk, I am full of admiration young Mike, for the fact that you found time for golf, but not gardening, & then the most important business of Railway Modelling.... top man!! :sungum:

Sound. ;) Although for somebody who remembers the nationalization of our railways, young is the nicest thing I have been called for years. Thank you Jordan

Your work is always so good.

I do have to question the little footbridge though, as it seems to me that the handrails are on the wrong side of the uprights, anyone falling against them could dislodge them & fall through into the water.

I do have to question the little footbridge though, as it seems to me that the handrails are on the wrong side of the uprights, anyone falling against them could dislodge them & fall through into the water.

Well spotted, I had glued the assembled handrails and stanchions on the wrong side of the bridge, now rectified.;)

The local drinkers don't bother with all that faffing about falling off the bridge :rolleyes: .... they just fall straight into the cut from either bank... ;)

(It's potent stuff, the local brew!!)

• 2 weeks later...

Well after the Sutton Coldfield Exhibition, it's back to work on the Muck Works board. I've just built a platform shelter as per Windmill End. The operator gets to see the interior but, from the viewing side you only get to see the back. Although it's definitely not a spectacular building  I'll post a couple of photos as soon as I have finished weathering it along with the water tank.;)

Archived