Greenpeace stop a coal train with a polar bear in the Retford area

• RMweb Gold

I will then.....

Shame they didnt do it where there was ohle!!

They did something similar a few years back at ratcliffe and ended up polluting a river when they shovelled the coal into to it, flipping hypocrits

Its all 'no nuclear', 'no coal', 'no fracking', what the hell do they expect to charge their bloody iphone 6 with and run their twitter account on the imac from, electricity generated from their own glow of their own self riciousness?

As you may gather im not in a very good mood today and stunts like this make my job just that little bit trickier!!

I will then.....

They did something similar a few years back at ratcliffe and ended up polluting a river when they shovelled the coal into to it, flipping hypocrits

Its all 'no nuclear', 'no coal', 'no fracking', what the hell do they expect to charge their bloody iphone 6 with and run their twitter account on the imac from, electricity generated from their own glow of their own self riciousness?

As you may gather im not in a very good mood today and stunts like this make my job just that little bit trickier!!

Couldn't agree with you more, they'll never be happy until we're eating nettles in a cave

If the wooly hat brigade get their way we will all be using candles and freezing our socks off. Some simple facts about electricity transmission

1 it cant be stored - the best you can do is pump water up hill loosing 25% of the energy

2 to keep the lights on suply needs to exactly match instantaneous demand

3 When the temperatures are at their coldest there is often little wind

4 Wind has utilisations of 30% at best

5 Photovoltaic does not work in the dark

So on that dark freezing windless night we should all be thankful for the fossil fuel fired and nuclear stations which will truely keep the lights on

I will then.....

Hey Jim

Your correct they did do something similar a few years ago (2008?) but it wasn't Ratcliffe it was Drax

HSTFAN13

Lee

Well if EDF are successful with this, some of the wooly hat brigade might be living in caves and eating nettles sooner than they expected.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-21537939

Not before time.

Hi,

I believe they(no dash for gas)got the case dropped by a petition and lots of media publicity about the case

HSTFAN13

Lee

• RMweb Premium

I have sympathy with the overall aims of organisations like Greenpeace; I can be a bit 'wooly hat' at times. However I think that this action/stunt/demonstration is a huge tactical blunder. I doubt that it preaches to anyone but a section of the converted, and if climate change is to be tackled than they need to effectively make their case to the widest possible constituency. This they haven't done.

I have sympathy with the overall aims of organisations like Greenpeace; I can be a bit 'wooly hat' at times. However I think that this action/stunt/demonstration is a huge tactical blunder. I doubt that it preaches to anyone but a section of the converted, and if climate change is to be tackled than they need to effectively make their case to the widest possible constituency. This they haven't done.

It will be a tactical blunder when one of them gets themselves killed.  I had personal experience years ago at Dover when some protesters fixed their hands to the rails in the sidings with a handcuff arrangment in a metal box.  It was lucky that the driver of the trip working stopped in time.......

• RMweb Gold

I will then.....

Completely agree, Jim, and full sympathy from another professional railwayman.

No rail professional or genuine supporter of rail transport can surely fail to be extremely irritated by such irresponsible action. The place to protest against coal fired power generation, if you really must, is surely at a political level, and not in a way that not only endangers the protestors, but also the police, rail staff and power station staff sent to deal with it.

I hadn't heard the story about earlier protestors being sued by EDF, with the consequential risk of loss of home etc. - I frequently find myself siding with 'the little guy' in similar circumstances, but where the railway is concerned, I find that I have no sympathy with these particular protestors at all.

• RMweb Gold

If you ask many people in the street they presume that Greenpeace is a charity, it isn't it's a private organisation that is run along commercial lines and as such does not reveal where income comes from.

If it were a charity it could not act in the way it does, which is not beneficial to anything. Changes that have come about to protect wildlife and the environment have done so based on evidence and negotiation not on stunts. 

Everybody has the right to lawful protest but unfortunately there is a core of people in a lot of these organisations who believe "direct action" is the only way to get people to listen.  To be honest, aside from a brief piece on various news sites really that is about it, as somebody who has been involved in direct action protests in the past (when I was young and stupid) this comes over as one of the poorer ones all they have actually achieved is some minor disruption and a small amount of coverage.

I agree with CP Bacon's comment - stunts like this sink without trace in the public mind in a very short space of time and I think take focus away from evidence based analysis and proponents of moving to low-carbon technologies. Unfortunately all approaches get lumped together under the 'wooly hat / tree-hugging'label. In reality a lot of time has passed since renewable energy was the preserve of the open-toed sandal, lentil soup drinkers - very much 'suit' country now. Note the recent news about the Rockafellers divestment of $51 BN of fossil fuel assets.

Looking beyond the obvious safety issues, making a point by interfering with a low-emission form of transport if not an 'own goal' is certainly one off the woodwork.

• RMweb Gold

Expect their thinking was that a train was an easier target than a power station, as the latter all seem to be heavily fortified these days.

hence my comment about making my job trickier, in the years between finishing with fastline and starting with colas the security in the power station i go to has been massivly beefed up and i'm extecting it to be futher more so when i go there later in the week

• RMweb Gold

I bet the GSMR call to the box was interesting!

Beats our Racoon from a few years back at Semley.

Best one I've ever had in the animal (on the) line was a call from the Signalman at Moreton-In-Marsh who wanted to know if a wallaby was 'a large animal' in the meaning of the Block Regulations.  I started by asking him how big the wallaby was ...

As far as this bunch of nutters is concerned it is hardly surprising that all the professionals on here hold similar views - irresponsible behaviour such as this is basically vandalism with what can easily be seen as criminal intent.  As it was on NR property I sincerely hope that concern will prosecute them for every Byelaw they have broken as, if nothing else, an example to similarly inclined loonies.

• RMweb Gold

Expect their thinking was that a train was an easier target than a power station, as the latter all seem to be heavily fortified these days.

There are some very good safety reasons as well for the security at power stations.  EDF are very safety conscious at both West Burton and Cottam and apply some rigorous standards to all folk going on site although training of train Drivers is left to operating companies.  The fencing - apart from anything else - makes very clear the area in which their safety policy applies.

Archived