Railway & Modelling Obituaries

David Humphrys

Mark

It is with great sadness that I have to report the death of my father David Humphrys aged 70 on the 11th of September 2014.

Whilst not well known as a mainstream modeller, he had a 2 part article on St Erth published in 1985 in the Railway Modeller and also provided a considerable amount of the archive material used in various video productions of Westerns in the 1970's.

He was the inspiration behind my modelling interests and always took an interest in my projects. He was a member of the EM gauge society and would have built St Erth in EM. He not suffered severe depression shortly after he retired, from which he never recovered before having a stroke last year and being moved into a home four weeks ago.

Regards

Mark Humphrys

Mark, you're obviously feeling great loss at this time.  Thanks for having the courage to share with us. Nice to know that your father shared his archive material; still extant for all to enjoy.  His memory lives on in inspiring your own modelling, as you say, one of the best things that can happen in this hobby of ours.

There was one photo of St Erth in that article - a bay platform - that decided me on a particular design for my layout. My article in the November 2002 Railway Modeller contained the following, "The design began several years ago as Swanage and went through Seaford, St Ives, Littlehampton and Cleethorpes before settling as a mixture of Bexhill West and Pwllheli with a little corner of St Erth !!" Thanks for that.

Archived