2mm Locomotives

Crosland

• RMweb Gold

I was very excited by the list of MR locos he first announced but, having seen the design spec and, in particular, his aversion to listening to any advice from a host of experienced modellers in 2mm, I avoided them. I am all for new ideas and innovation but there were a number of areas which for me made them virtually unbuildable. I've never seen one completed and running though I know a number of people who bought them.

Jerry

• RMweb Premium

I've tried to build one but got very frustrated with it and put it to one side. Could just have been me but I've found other 2mm kits a lot easier.

Edit: Looks like he's set up another website - same real world address as 2mm - http://thelocoworks.co.uk/Contact.html

I can't say that I take the new website any more seriously than I did his first one.

I've had a number fo issues but one of the biggest ones, caused by the lack of instructions for some of the kits, or maybe I was naive in my inexperience, is that there is insufficient clearance for 2mm wheelsets on at least one of the kits.

Andrew

I've had a number fo issues but one of the biggest ones, caused by the lack of instructions for some of the kits, or maybe I was naive in my inexperience, is that there is insufficient clearance for 2mm wheelsets on at least one of the kits.

Andrew

Which kits? There is a downloads section on his website which appears to contain some instructions;

http://www.twommlocomotives.co.uk/TwommLocomotives/Downloads.html

I haven't built one of the kits, but I did struggle to understand why it was necessary to build the chassis as split frame when using the plastic-centred driving wheels that he had developed.

Andy

Which kits?

The class 3 goods. There are no instructions and Damien could not supply any.

I haven't built one of the kits, but I did struggle to understand why it was necessary to build the chassis as split frame when using the plastic-centred driving wheels that he had developed.

Indeed.

Andrew

I am sliwwwwwwwwly  building one of his original models  the Midland 1 P  with   some problems  (mostly  cos i am ham fisted)  i see the new site has gone from 2 mm  FS  to all scales  and none of the older kits are on offer. 

the reason for building the chassis split frame is  the stub axles  are metal  yes the muffs in the center will insulate but  the chassis will short out  from one wheel to the other

the reason for building the chassis split frame is  the stub axles  are metal  yes the muffs in the center will insulate but  the chassis will short out  from one wheel to the other

Damien's wheels are now insulated from the axle, there are no muffs, but the instructions that exist still show uneccessary split chassis construction.

Andrew

• RMweb Premium

Will be interesting to see the working inside motion on the Johnson and Stirling 4-2-2s.  Quite tricky to get the drive gear and inside cranks on the former,  the latter because you can't see the valve gear as its's tucked in close to the high frames!  The Stirling single has more than a few issues in terms of clearances to get a working model.

Tim

• 7 months later...

My 1P has moved under it's own power, on my layout, Burnham-on-Sea. A little more lead & perhaps some adjustments to the bogie mount it should run reasonably. It's only got to pull an autocoach, for which I think I have more than enough power. In the original version it would have been very underpowered, I changed things somewhat. I will bring it to the Exeter show, unfinished, unpainted but hopefully sort of working. As to the 3F goods I am using the basic etches. Damien did tell me I would need to widen the footplate clearances for 2mm wheels.

No problem, just awkward to someone inexperienced like me.

John P.

• RMweb Premium

My 1P has moved under it's own power, on my layout, Burnham-on-Sea. A little more lead & perhaps some adjustments to the bogie mount it should run reasonably. It's only got to pull an autocoach, for which I think I have more than enough power. In the original version it would have been very underpowered, I changed things somewhat. I will bring it to the Exeter show, unfinished, unpainted but hopefully sort of working. As to the 3F goods I am using the basic etches. Damien did tell me I would need to widen the footplate clearances for 2mm wheels.

No problem, just awkward to someone inexperienced like me.

John P.

we like pictures    :shout:   I have a couple of these kits stashed away  I have a feeling they may end up on that auction site

we like pictures    :shout:   I have a couple of these kits stashed away  I have a feeling they may end up on that auction site

Nick, you mean I have to learn to take and upload pictures now? 

As if it wasn't hard enough to get this thing to work! Actually I was

very pleased with the running, shoving it's little autocoach about

with gusto. Still needs work on bogie stability though.

If I can do pics I will also let you see where I am with the 3Ftender

loco.

John P.

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know the status of 2mm Locomotives at present.  I made a purchase of eBay from Damien for a 2mm MR 0-4-4T.  This was back in March, so the 60 day period has expired.  My last contact was at the end of May.  I don't want to muck-raking, but I'm presently out of pocket $200+ for a loco and I can't the person responsible to respond to any emails, directly from the 2mm loco website and eBay.  Its is further compounded by the fact that I live down under.

Any assistance or news would be helpful

cheers

Ben of Oz

• RMweb Gold

This came up on the 2mm virtual area group and I made some offline enquiries but no-one knew of any particular problems. The failure to respond is worrying.  Have you used delivery & read receipts on emails?

A whois lookup

http://www.nominet.org.uk/whois/lookup?query=http%3A//www.twommlocomotives.co.uk

returns this info:

Result of WHOIS query:

Domain name:     twommlocomotives.co.uk  Registrant:     Damien Johnson  Registrant type:     UK Individual  Registrant's address:     6 Oulton Close     Arnold     Nottingham     Nottinghamshire     NG5 6SW     United Kingdom

You might be able to get a phone number via one of the directory enquiry services or simply write a good old fashioned letter.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/phones/directory-enquiries-free

I've tried a few searches but not been able to find a phone number.

You could also contact the local trading standards team for advice:

http://www.nottinghamshire.gov.uk/living/business/tradingstandards/

There are template letters available from that web site, looks like the "time is of the essence" one suits the situation.

I'm also wondering if consumer law overrides any period imposed by ebay and/or paypal?

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/problem/ive-been-waiting-months-for-an-item-i-bought-can-i-cancel-it-

Hope this helps a little bit.

Feel free to PM me offline with more details and I'll see if I can dig out some more information.

Mark

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Just wondering if there's been any positive progress on this?  I was having PM exchange with another forum member on this subject who'd located work contact details for Damien Johnson via LinkedIn.

• RMweb Premium

These built locomotive offers where pointed out to me on E-bay, and so I gave in to curiosity and offered £130 for a 2mm wheeled Dukedog (partbuilt or finished) which was accepted - I wanted a Dukedog for a future project and I thought that whatever it looked like when it arrived, at the worst I would have a set of basic parts which would probably be useful, at best it could be a nice model. Several e-mails went unanswered so after a month past the quoted delivery date I opened E-bay's dispute procedure which meant that E-bay made the inquiries, and I then got a reply saying that the seller was "away for a couple of weeks" and would be painting the models on his return, so I accepted a three week delay which I thought was reasonable on my part. Three weeks came and went so I contacted E-bay who initiated the final part of the dispute procedure and who returned my money plus postage the next day, zero reaction from the seller. Still want a Dukedog, looks like I'll have to scratchbuild after all.

Alex.

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Did anyone get an update from the supplier? It looked like they had some interesting offerings.

Has anyone got pictures of completed locos?

To be honest Gary, it promised an awful lot but in the end delivered very little. The kits that did emerge were pretty much unbuildable as designed. I've not seen any completed locos although I understand there are one or two out there.

Jerry

Archived