LSWR Scale Building Drawings

Tim Dubya

• RMweb Premium

Hi Guys

I'm trying to locate scale drawings (4mm if possible) of LSWR Type 1 Signal Boxes (similar to the ABM Railcraft kit) and in particular drawings of Sidmouth box.  I'm also after drawings of LSWR No:1 Goods sheds, again similar to the ABM Railcraft kit.

The South Western Circle lists the following drawings of Signal Boxes and Goods Sheds but not their types, so I would be grateful if anyone can identify the type of box/shed from this list:

Aldershot "B" signal box

Axminster Gates signal box

Bodmin signal box

Broome crossing box

Claygate signal box

Cosham signal box

Guildford (London Road) signal cabin

Holmsley signal box

Lyme Regis signal box

Padstow signal box

Romsey signal box

Whitley signal box

Bodmin goods shed

Chard Junction goods shed

Claygate goods shed

Lyme Regis goods shed

Okehampton goods shed

Wadebridge goods shed

Walton-on-Thames goods warehouse

If anyone has any pointers to drawings (in any scale) I would be most grateful.

Cheers

Tim

Edited by Tim Dubya

• RMweb Gold

If you've not already got access to a copy, 'Signal Boxes of the London & South Western Railway' by G A Pryer, published by The Oakwood Press may provide some of the answers.

ISBN 0 85361 565 9

• RMweb Premium

Romsey fits the Type 1 signalbox need - suggest Googling Romsey Signalbox images to confirm.

Thanks, I had thought of buying the ABM Railcraft kits and using them as "plans" but I don't want fall into the trap of making a model of a model!

4630, I realised that I do have that book somewhere but the "somewhere" is the problem...  :dontknow:

Thanks for the replies so far.

Cheers

Tim

Edited by Tim Dubya

• RMweb Premium

There's drawings of LSWR no1 and no2 goods sheds I the Orwell press "an illustrated history of the north Cornwall Railway" book.

Brilliant! and one I should have bought years ago.  No excuse now!

Cheers

Tim

• RMweb Premium

'Signal Boxes of the London & South Western Railway' (as previously mentioned) is useful. However, looking at my copy I can only find one plan of a Type 1, that of the Broom Gates gound level box. It's a good book for photos and text of details though, and has a photo each for Sidmouth and Sidmouth Junction.

I was going to suggest 'Southern Country Stations: 1 - London & South Western Railway' by Robert Antell (Ian Allan, 1984, ISBN-10 : 0-7110-1420-5), however there is no section on the Sidmouth branch and so no photos or plans of any buildings for it.

• RMweb Premium

I was going to suggest 'Southern Country Stations: 1 - London & South Western Railway' by Robert Antell (Ian Allan, 1984, ISBN-10 : 0-7110-1420-5)

Thanks for the heads up on this one, does sound a very useful book indeed and I found a copy online for a £10 so ordered it! 

I've now found my copy of LSWR Signal boxes so will get stuck into it later.

Cheers to all for the help.

Tim

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Morning Tim. A 'long shot' question.

I attach a pic of the Seaton Junction box. I'm going to be replacing some windows in a model of this that  I've acquired and wondered if you have any ideas of any products available that might suit to save me scratch building the windows?

post-2326-0-70894900-1416901802_thumb.jpg

Many thanks

Phil

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Morning Tim. A 'long shot' question.

I attach a pic of the Seaton Junction box. I'm going to be replacing some windows in a model of this that  I've acquired and wondered if you have any ideas of any products available that might suit to save me scratch building the windows?

Hi Phil

No idea at all I'm afraid, although Steve Sykes may have already answered your question.

Cheers

What a a great pic.

That elevational photo of Seaton Junction box (at 1mm per brick course; 3mm per brick " stretcher") will give you every dimension you need for a 4mm scale replica.

&

Have a look at Freebs build of Clayton West Junction signal box for how he applied sliding windows. He explains it step by step.

dhig

• RMweb Premium

Fortunately the box will be almost 'off stage' on a home based layout and so I can get away with a bit of 'impressionism' and I won't need to do full detail inside; just enough to satisfy my OCD.

The very long public ROW footbridge on the other hand will almost form the scenic break so that will have to look right, but at a distance!

I'm going to enjoy doing these things during the winter.

Thanks for your help guys.

P

Hi,

I posted a load of photos (exterior and interior) and a front elevation drawing of Crediton signal box (LSWR type 1) in the earler part of Treggymans Creedyford thread in the layout section. As far as I am aware the windows are the original though the box has replacement windows in recent years if you look at later photos and wonder why the windows are different. Also, the further west boxes of this type had a slightly different treatment at the corner posts with a very narrow section of shiplap boarding at each end at window level and only very narrow apparent corner posts whilst boxes of this type in, say Hampshire, had more conventional corner posts. Whether the corner posts on the westcountry boxes had a recessed section that the shiplap boarding fitted into I do not know. Have a look at Verwood  or Downton compared to Portsmouth Arms or Crediton as examples of what I mean. Some of the more easterly ones also had ventilators on the roofs which did not appear on the west country examples. Course, if you went really way back, the shiplap boarding was a later addition in many if not all the type 1 boxes with the bracing exposed making a more interesting looking if decidedly more draughty workplace. 

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

I posted a load of photos (exterior and interior) and a front elevation drawing of Crediton signal box (LSWR type 1) in the earler part of Treggymans Creedyford thread in the layout section. As far as I am aware the windows are the original though the box has replacement windows in recent years if you look at later photos and wonder why the windows are different. Also, the further west boxes of this type had a slightly different treatment at the corner posts with a very narrow section of shiplap boarding at each end at window level and only very narrow apparent corner posts whilst boxes of this type in, say Hampshire, had more conventional corner posts. Whether the corner posts on the westcountry boxes had a recessed section that the shiplap boarding fitted into I do not know. Have a look at Verwood  or Downton compared to Portsmouth Arms or Crediton as examples of what I mean. Some of the more easterly ones also had ventilators on the roofs which did not appear on the west country examples. Course, if you went really way back, the shiplap boarding was a later addition in many if not all the type 1 boxes with the bracing exposed making a more interesting looking if decidedly more draughty workplace. 

What you didn't mention, as I am sure you are too modest to do so, is your superb model of that little 'box' on that thread. Beautiful modelling mate.

Thanks for the link....a great read.

I think I might actually have that card kit in a box somewhere. If I find that it will be a miracle and it would probably be quicker to just make my own windows!!!!!!!

Phil 

• 4 years later...
  • RMweb Gold

I want to build a model based on Sidmouth Junction. I like it because it's so tall. 

Although I have some photographs,  I am lacking basic dimensions.

Does anyone have the basic length and height etc?

Thanks

Edited by ikcdab

• RMweb Gold

Prototype Models made a kit for Sidmouth Junction signal box, a mixture of card with glazing and plastic pieces. It is still available from some suppliers/shops. If approached carefully it makes up into quite a nice model. I have no idea whether its accurate to the nearest scale foot or not! If you Google it you will find a supplier. There is a really nice guy at some exhibitions in the south who stocks it together with a range of brick papers and kits that must go back to the '80s but still worth looking at. Sorry I can't remember his name or that of his firm.

Sorry to be rather vague but all my modelling stuff is in store awaiting a house move (ever the optimist)

all the best

Godfrey

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 02/10/2019 at 12:38, Godfrey Glyn said:

Prototype Models made a kit for Sidmouth Junction signal box, a mixture of card with glazing and plastic pieces. It is still available from some suppliers/shops. If approached carefully it makes up into quite a nice model. I have no idea whether its accurate to the nearest scale foot or not! If you Google it you will find a supplier. There is a really nice guy at some exhibitions in the south who stocks it together with a range of brick papers and kits that must go back to the '80s but still worth looking at. Sorry I can't remember his name or that of his firm.

Sorry to be rather vague but all my modelling stuff is in store awaiting a house move (ever the optimist)

all the best

Godfrey

The Prototype kit is dimensionally accurate, but i think it is a little "flat" compared to modern structures. We could really do with a resin model of a Type 1 box!