The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

tv choice

lightengine

Has anybody got any suggestions and views on the choice of purchasing a new tv?

With, between £399 and £401 to spend I have seen some good offers on SMART tv's and one today on a SMART 3D tv.

So many differences and choices. 1080p or not 1080p? Lots of questions.

Ideas on here or by pm if suggestions of manufacturers.

Thanks in advance

• RMweb Gold

Panasonic 'Viera' is a good make/brand. Pleased with ours and a couple of friends also have them. I find the colour very natural.

Got a Panasonic Viera TXL37ET5B from Richer Sounds a while ago. Gost about £350.

37" smart TV and passive 3D. The innards are I think made by LG.

Very pleased with it. Passive 3D means it works with glasses from the cinema that only cost a quid.

Has all the Smart TV apps I want. You can set your own DNS settings so using a smart DNS service to get US Netflix works.

The only niggle is I use it with an AV amp and want the speakers off by default. There's no obvious way to do it, but if you Google you can find the secret button-presses to get to the hotel-mode menu where you can set the initial volume to 0.

Forget any 3D capability. It's effectively a dead-end and in all likelyhood will probably start to disappear of TV sets in the next year or two, as manufacturers continue to focus on other new technology selling points.

Sky TV have just quietly dropped 3D transmissions of sporting events and the amount of 3D content (Films) being released on BluRay has never fulfilled the early promise.

Basically there is very little to watch in 3D, even if you find that wearing those active glasses isn't that uncomfortable, or headache/eyestrain inducing.

Far better to concentrate on build quality, reliability, performance and picture quality.

Accepted wisdom is to stick to the four big main players, Sony, Panasonic, Samsung and LG, but beware of being mislead by thinking that those company's respective technology branding actually meaning something.

e.g. Sony's branding "Bravia", or Panasonic's "Viera" are just brand names for all their TV ranges. Those names mean nothing in terms of the quality of TV within the company's own product range.

These companies all offer TV's in 4, 5 or 6 different ranges, with different levels of quality, technology and specification as you go up in price. Each range will have a variety of different screen sizes.

Often the difference between a manufacturers adjacent ranges (next range down/up) is just a matter of extra features and specification, but sometimes it's a jump in specification and quality. However there is a definite overall improvement as you climb up in price.

These companies all have budget ranges, that usually use cheaper or older generations of the technology and cheaper screens, chassis etc. These cheap models usually carry the same sort of "Bravia"/"Viera" type branding as products from higher up the quality and price stakes.

Often production of these cheaper ranges, or their subcomponents are contracted out to cheaper manufacturers (e.g. in China, Malaysia, Vietnam etc,).

How much you want to spend and what you'll be happy with is entirely a matter of personal choice. Personally speaking, if you're not in the market for a high-end TV, or a 4k model, I'd go for something from one of these company's mid-priced ranges. It might also be worth checking out the reviews published in magazines and online AV review sites as well.

For what it's worth, out of the 6 TV's dotted around our house, 3 are Smart TV's.

Although the Smart technology has got better in performance and feature range over the last couple of years, overall I think they are far more cumbersome and slower than using tablets and other PC's.

The user interfaces are generally awkward too and I've found it a chore to use the Smart features.

My tech addicted adult kids don't bother with the Smart functionality either.

For example, in our lounge, using an iPad and Airplay via an Apple TV is far better that the TV's own Smart functionality, in terms of user interface and speed. Picture quality is exceptional too. 

Ron

Well I just went into a couple of big telly shops and bought the one with the best (to my eye) picture, which happened to be the Panasonic Viera 32"-unfortunately I can't fit a bigger one in. My friends also bought a Viera-I think 42"-for the same reason. We are both pleased with them (both worked by the Virgins).

Ed

Best piece of advice from my youth was to go into a TV dealer (remember them?) and pick one of his display models. That had been already unpacked and sak-tested , and fine tuned by him.

Today, proper TV dealers are no more, nor are Pye and Ekco, but the advice is still good. You can view many sets together in a shop; pick one with a picture you like. In all probability, go to a number of shops, and that model (or more likely 3 or 4 you have narrowed down) will again stand out from the crowd. Look at the online reviews - and prices while you are at it. Then make a decision.

Stewart

....You can view many sets together in a shop; pick one with a picture you like......

Unfortunately, in most cases the TV's in the shops are using a display mode, usually called something like "vivid" or some such, which is designed purely for use in shops to make the TV's look good, or have a vibrant picture in the shop environment, with its bright lights.

That picture setting is usually the default mode on many brands of TV, but it is not the best picture that the TV can show and is sometimes crap !

These shop oriented display modes use over saturated colours and excess contrast and provide a much less than optimum picture. In some cases it's an awful picture.

The sad thing is that it's thought that a significant number of purchasers never adjust the display mode setting from what comes out of the box.

If you want to judge on what you see in the shop, get hold of the remote and select the "normal" mode.

It may look dull or less vibrant at first, but that's comparing with what was on there before and all the other exaggerated pictures being displayed on other sets around the shop.

There are TV review websites that have guides to getting the optimal set up for certain specific TV sets, using the multitude of settings available in the settings menu. Sometimes there are hidden menu settings that these guides tell you how to open.

Unfortunately, in most cases the TV's in the shops are using a display mode, usually called something like "vivid" or some such, which is designed purely for use in shops to make the TV's look good, or have a vibrant picture in the shop environment, with its bright lights.

That picture setting is usually the default mode on many brands of TV, but it is not the best picture that the TV can show and is sometimes crap !

These shop oriented display modes use over saturated colours and excess contrast and provide a much less than optimum picture. In some cases it's an awful picture.

The sad thing is that it's thought that a significant number of purchasers never adjust the display mode setting from what comes out of the box.

If you want to judge on what you see in the shop, get hold of the remote and select the "normal" mode.

It may look dull or less vibrant at first, but that's comparing with what was on there before and all the other exaggerated pictures being displayed on other sets around the shop.

There are TV review websites that have guides to getting the optimal set up for certain specific TV sets, using the multitude of settings available in the settings menu. Sometimes there are hidden menu settings that these guides tell you how to open.

Whilst I agree with that, and yes, I did have to turn off the vivid mode on mine, the tv's in the shop should give a "like for like" comparison.

Ed

Another vote for Panasonic.  I bought a 37" backlit LED Smart passive 3d set from Richer Sounds a couple of years ago, came with a free blu-ray (also Panasonic) and it is cracking once you get the settings right.  Unlike others I do use the smart capability for YouTube and BBC iPlayer, as although I have $ky on-demand I often find their listings are 24 hours behind the Smart TV iPlayer, so if I've just missed something it's often better for me to engage "smart-mode" and access I-Player direct.  Also the YouTube app on the Panasonic Smart option came in useful during the dreary World Cup season, as I spent many happy hours watching the entire back-catalogue of the Eurovision Song Contest full screen on TV which some kind soul had uploaded to YouTube.  When it comes to screaming queens and histrionic divas, the Eurovision Song Contest beats the World Cup hands down.

Installing my daughter's brand new Panasonic TV last week when I first powered it two buttons appeared on the screen "Home" and "Shop".

Regards,

Dave

Another vote for Panasonic.  I bought a 37" backlit LED Smart passive 3d set from Richer Sounds a couple of years ago, came with a free blu-ray (also Panasonic) and it is cracking once you get the settings right.  Unlike others I do use the smart capability for YouTube and BBC iPlayer, as although I have $ky on-demand I often find their listings are 24 hours behind the Smart TV iPlayer, so if I've just missed something it's often better for me to engage "smart-mode" and access I-Player direct.  Also the YouTube app on the Panasonic Smart option came in useful during the dreary World Cup season, as I spent many happy hours watching the entire back-catalogue of the Eurovision Song Contest full screen on TV which some kind soul had uploaded to YouTube.  When it comes to screaming queens and histrionic divas, the Eurovision Song Contest beats the World Cup hands down.

As an ex merchant seaman, lots of crew would buy National Panasonic tv's in places we called at like Suva. These tv's worked everywhere we went in the world and were often only connected up to a huge light bulb acting as an aerial. The ability to work World wide was almost singularly a Panasonic thing.

Thanks everyone for the buying tips, much appreciated.

• RMweb Premium

Warning - this is a huge generalisation and not reasoned advice, but when it comes to TV's unless you are a full on home cinema enthusiast (in which case I do not think you'd be asking for advice) then my best advice would be to look with your eyes noting the very pertinent comments about shop display modes and go for a mid-range set at the size you like from a recognisable brand (eg. Panasonic, Sony, Sharp, LG, Samsung). My experience is if you go for a bigger set it is worth buying upgraded speakers with an amp, even the all in one home cinema packages are a lot better than typical built in sound. There are so many bargains around (end of line clearances, discount chains like Richer sounds etc) that you can get a very good TV for a reasonable price. I'd treat the magazine reviews with a pinch of salt, unless you're a really dedicated enthusiast of home cinema the differences to an average eye (and ears in the case of home cinema sound) are nothing like as clear cut as some reviews will state, it is worth bearing in mind that if magazines gave honest reviews which said most of these things are OK and do the job to an acceptable standard and that it'll probably come down to the deal you're offered and personal preference then it'd sort of undermine the rationale for buying review magazines.

I got a Sny Bravia 40-inch EX403 about 4 years ago and it is excellent. Although no longer sold, I am sure there is a modern equivelent in their range. This particular line was part of their mid-priced range that focussed on providing (relatively) basic functionality at good quality. It did not have the whizz-bang features of the time such as 100hz picture or motion smoothing but gave (at the time) about the best bang for your buck in terms of picture quality.

I use the term "simple" in a relative sense. Our TV still has all the features you would expect of a smart TV and continues to get new services from time to time as updates are rolled out. I am sure Sony have an equivelent model in their current range.

• RMweb Gold

Are "Richer Sounds" the modern equal to a TV dealer or just a slightly classy version of comet/curry's, please?

Neither really. They are a box-shifter with smaller stores crammed full of electronic things. You should find the staff have better product knowledge than they do in Currys.

Disclaimer:

I have not physically been inside a Richer Sounds shop for a few years now. It's the internet you see...

Don't forget John Lewis's claim "never knowingly undersold", and they give a free 5 year guarantee on TV's.

Ed

and free delivery with a very cheap 5 year additional protection. But several other places offer the 5 year guarantee also.

Think I have dropped any idea of 3d.

We've always bought Panasonic TVs since our first colour model in 1979. No complaints, and  we find the menus generally more logical than some others. We used to buy from a local tv shop, but since it closed we use Richer Sounds. Again, no complaints about value, etc., and although we've never bought one, they used to do a warranty which, if you don't claim, you get your money back.

We do have a holiday let, and that has had a mix of TVs over the years. Currently a Samsung 40" and 32", and some smaller Toshiba/Sharp ones. These are the same tv but rebadged/, and I find the menus slightly less logical than Samsung and Panasonic. Then again, it might just be what we're used to with the Panasonics. .

I didn't go to IBC this year, but the London Centre of the Royal Television Society and the IET  had a joint session on it last week.

The conclusiions of our panel seemed to be that 3D is pretty well dead so far as home viewing is concerned though it's very much alive for theatrical (cinema). The set manufacturers' next push is likely to be for 4K - twice the pixels of HD- but whether there'll be anything to watch on it is another matter; there's a little matter of bandwidth though no doubt that'll be solved. The Japanese are pushing 8K and that does look sensational on a cinema size screen but it's hard to see how much of an improvement it would really be in a home environment. Serious thinking is that "better pixels rather than more pixels" may be the way to go so higher frame rates, enhanced colour depth and so on but whether that'll be as easy to sell to Joe public as more pixels is hard to say. I saw an EBU demo of high frame rates at IBC last year on  HD and in terms of really feeling you're there found it far more impressive than 4K.

There's also a crying need for an accepted standard for Smart TVs so that devices really can talk to one another. At the moment it's like 00 was in the 1950s when no proprietary stock would run on anyone else's track. I have an iPhone but that doesn't mean I want to fill my life with Apple devices.   I also  have a Virgin TiVo Box and the EPG is out of the ark.  I've almost given up on accessing iPlayer from it unless it's a programme I'm really desparate to watch and I'm prepared to invest ten or fifteen minutes to find it and watch the little circle whizzing round.  

Ron's point about set up is well made. I've known people who thought HD was something they just had to have but also thought that's what they were seeing when shown a properly set up 625 line PAL monitor. The set up of TVs I've seen in people's  lounges are enough to make any director or DP weep. 

Archived