York Show 2015

john new

Well worth the trip. Great layouts, good catering and good trade support, although there seemed to be less of it than past years? Certainly I spent much less than in previous years although resisting the temptation of an Ivatt helped that. I think a visit to the website is going to be in order though, it really is an absolute stunner in all four guises.

Overall a great show and recommended for anyone thinking about a trip.

• RMweb Premium

Great Show

Don't think I saw a poor layout, not all too my taste, but with a general exhibition of all scales and gauges that will be always the case.

I spoke to a number of traders who also had a good day one at the show.

Congratulations to Malcolm and all the team.

I will be back..........

Terry

A lovely 4 hours spent in York today, like Eltel not all to my taste but you wouldn't fault the modelling or the organisation.

I particularly liked Wadebridge, that is going to be an awesome model when all the other components come together, Boscarne is already visible. Given I am a northerner, i don't understand my interest in anything SR/GW in Cornwall.

Given I am a northerner, i don't understand my interest in anything SR/GW in Cornwall.

Don't worry about it, I'm from Hull and I've always modelled the Southern, especially the electrics. Just go with the flow. :O

Check out my website, the URL is below.

It was a enjoyable show. Didn't get everything I was after, but still managed to forget some things I did want. Daughter found the youngsters build a model stand again (she goes to it at so many shows they should give her a badge). Only problem was she had already built everything there, so she used her own pocket money and went and bought a different buildimg kit to build.

I went on Sunday.  The journey of about 160 miles each way was a worthwhile one and not just because filling up with petrol cost less than in my home town [no change there then].

Of the many good layouts, several caught my eye for different reasons.  I was taken with Rochdale Victoria, which was not in the most prominent place and I nearly missed it.  This compact EM layout is a very plausible might-have-been, featuring not only a Manchester-Bury EMU and its distinctive side contact third rail but a couple of far from uniform rakes used on other local passenger work: the C12 and its Gresley brake second and Thompson composite positively screamed Oldham Clegg Street at me.  Then there was Wadebridge, the latest rising star of 2mm finescale, supported by its creator John Greenwood and its able ambassador Jerry 'Queensquare' Clifford and looking better every time I see it.  Oh boy.  My own attempts in P4, justly under-recorded, appear crude by comparison with such star performers as the T9 and Beattie well tank.  In theory I should be motivated to equal or surpass this display of skill and cleverness but we all know that life ain't like that.   In 7mm I rather liked Marske, manned when I saw it by Jonathan Wealleans, and Arigna Road, an unusual essay with track gauge to match.  There seems to be a trend towards choosing this scale for layouts where one might have thought that a smaller scale would afford greater scope for spaciousness: think Aberbeeg, for instance.

Trade support was comprehensive and careful rummaging in untidy boxes paid dividends.  At 247 Developments I found some useful castings for coaches that Gary used to sell and from Squires and Eileens I bought some very small brass tube that may have a role in rehabilitating one of my crude P4 efforts which has suffered a setback.  Catering seems to have improved since last year - £1.20 for a cup of tea was a very pleasant surprise and the hot meals were more reasonably priced than I recall.  Not knowing this beforehand, I had made luncheon meat and pickle sandwiches the night before - even cheaper.

Although I had my RMweb badge, for most of the day it remained tucked away.  To some disaffected souls, best not named here, the sight of such a talisman is inflammatory.  Despite this there were many interesting and welcome conversations with inmates past and present, which is as good a reason as any for going to a show.

The green ink stamped on my hand to allow exit and re-entry is a bu99er to get off, by the way.

Chris [typo now corrected]

• RMweb Premium

York is very much a nooks and crannies exhibition, you have to peer everywhere otherwise you might miss something.

The type I love, seeing what you can find tucked away in some odd corner. Pity a late start combined with a diversion (signs up saying A66 closed and I was coming from Penrith) meant that I didn't have much time to explore.

• RMweb Premium

A lovely 4 hours spent in York today, like Eltel not all to my taste but you wouldn't fault the modelling or the organisation.

I particularly liked Wadebridge, that is going to be an awesome model when all the other components come together, Boscarne is already visible. Given I am a northerner, i don't understand my interest in anything SR/GW in Cornwall.

• RMweb Premium

Went again this morning seemed a shame not to as I was only across on the caravan rally

Less crowded than Saturday which meant a better look at the layouts

One called Newcastle ? Really nice imaginary line never built local to me ( see it at Stafford 2017 I think)

Super MI stock on the Preston layout

All day Sunday at NRM and pub

Great weekend

Terry

• RMweb Premium

I arrived at York not long after opening and stayed until kicking out time.

Some lovely modelling on show, with a lovely mix of periods scales and interests.

Hard to pick out highlights but the wharf scene on Canada Street (forgive me if I haven't remembered the name right - it was Canada something!) is just about as good as modelling gets.

Not seen Rochdale Victoria before and the design is really clever and well thought out and it is just that bit different.

Wadebridge is still a bit "work in progress" but is already stunning and getting 2mm stuff to run like that is really quite something.

Very nice to see many layouts that I hadn't seen before and I was able to pick up all I wanted trade wise. Plus lots of chatting!

All in all, one of my most enjoyable days out at a show for some time.

Tony

Went again this morning seemed a shame not to as I was only across on the caravan rally

Less crowded than Saturday which meant a better look at the layouts

One called Newcastle ? Really nice imaginary line never built local to me ( see it at Stafford 2017 I think)

Super MI stock on the Preston layout

All day Sunday at NRM and pub

Great weekend

Terry

I've always wondered what was going on with all the caravans, same weekend every year.

There were many layouts that appealed to me and many that I appreciated even though not my area of interest.

ackthorpe and Kinlet wharf were good to see full length rakes stretching their legs amongst some really nice modelling

Canada street was beautifully done, I hope they are adding more back drop buildings as the few they had were excellent.

diesels in the duchy was top notch modelling, just wished for a bit more lively running to get those 37 sound chips out of notch 1!

59th & rust, Collerton and Wepre park I have not seen before but enjoyed watching.

Trout Beck bridge, Rolvenden, Wadebridge and Felton lane I have see before but are still worth the time to watch and admire again.

kinmundy looked great but had a few electrical issues when I was there and I never made it back later to get some pictures so it will have to go on my 'to see' list.

Rumbling bridge looked interesting but I couldn't get near it to study / watch close up so that's another 'to see'

I am sure I missed others, every time I walked round I stumbled across a layout or trader not seen earlier including the wonderful Mr McGovern on Connoissuer models who I found 20 minutes before leaving for my train home.

Diesels in The Duchy and Canada Street certainly take the prototype speed awards.

I did wonder if the same person was operating on both models setting a move going on one then popping to the other to start a move there.

Running those models must take some patience and is a credit to them.

Diesels in The Duchy and Canada Street certainly take the prototype speed awards.

I did wonder if the same person was operating on both models setting a move going on one then popping to the other to start a move there.

Running those models must take some patience and is a credit to them.

You're right, one person operating both, also nipping to the bar in between....

Some pictures from an excellent long weekend at York. You're always very well looked after as an exhibitor and our thanks go to Maclolm and his team. The layout behaved itself as it usually does and what comments came my way were complimentary. Thanks to LNER4479 for putting in a lunchtime shift on Saturday, help is always appreciated.

Some new stock at the show: on Saturday we were treated to this Sentinel railcar, scratchbuilt by David Lloyd who is the builder of Guisborough. He spent his winter putting this together in a camper van. It goes every bit as well as it looks.

Marske_York_Sentinel_1_zpsqxtqrkfq.jpg

Marske_York_Sentinel_2_zpsifgktzb0.jpg

Marske_York_Sentinel_3_zpsrsxrhgpb.jpg

Martin has built this 298 class tank since the last outing:

Marske_York_298_zpskl3kpzkv.jpg

He's presently working on a 901.

Marske_York_Tennant_1_zps6zvkeasv.jpg

Marske_York_Tennant_2_zpsubfnso9c.jpg

Both the above are from NER Days kits (formerly Medley Models?)

He's also made this rather splendid Brougham which will eventually travel the layout on an OCT.

marske_york_Brougham_zpshiz6nmec.jpg

We had one or two new wagons - this has been on my thread, as I lettered it, but it's now been loaded.

marske_york_dumb_buffer_zpsfqnozrex.jpg

The NB open and LNWR van are new. The van is a whitemetal kit and weighs almost as much as me.

Marske_york_nb_open_zps0wqugupq.jpg

Peter (who made the wagons) also displayed a pair of NER coaches he's scratchbuilding using largely the David Jenkinson method. The beading was cut out on one of the Silhouette cutters which there has been a deal of talk about in recent times.

Marske_York_third_zpsaqhea4wr.jpg

Marske_York_brake_third_zps8c6rledh.jpg

They attracted quite a bit of interest, rightly so.

... and the sun shone.

Marske_York_goods_shed_zpsuc26wcmp.jpg

Can I take this opportunity to thanks all the exhibitors for a great show and the Stewarding team for keeping me on my toes as Chief Steward

Also a big thanks to Mike Bob Neil Steve and Alan for operating assistance over the weekend whilst I was busy trying to sort everyone else out!   

• RMweb Gold

A few photos of Rochdale Victoria at the show today

attachicon.gifDSC04398c.jpg

attachicon.gifDSC04405c.jpg

attachicon.gifDSC04407c.jpg

attachicon.gifDSC04399c.jpg

See you tomorrow?

Paul

Nice to see My L&Y 0-6-0 here! glad it ran well.

A good weekend was had by us with Felton Lane, back at work now having a rest...

Archived