York Show 2015

john new

• RMweb Premium

where was "Tan-yr-Allt & Dwffyr Uchaf"?, i saw it in some youtube videos last night and dont remember seeing it myself, thats a lovely layout.

that o gauge chain shunting one was brilliant

On the second floor, on the east side of the building, between Troutbeck Bridge & the OO9 Society. Yes, I think it's a good layout too - it did have a lot of people round it most times I looked. 

Thank you for the comments about the Show. We did have a few pinch points, they seem to pop up and bite you when you don't expect them.  So sorry that you missed the 009 section Sam.

Don't forget to book Easter next year for the 54th York Model Railway Show

Peter

We had one or two new wagons - this has been on my thread, as I lettered it, but it's now been loaded.

marske_york_dumb_buffer_zpsfqnozrex.jpg

The Cleveland Dumb buffered wagon - I tried to find it on a thread of yours, but failed...Is it a kit, please?

Took my 4 1/2 year old son to the show on Saturday and on the whole a really good day was had by the both of us and it also included a fast train ride down the ECML race track on Grand Central.

The layouts that were on show were good, very high quality and visually appealing, but I have to say that scale speed running and train frequency was too slow for me and especially too slow for a child.  I am sorry, but Diesels in the Duchy was painfully slow to watch; which was a major disappointment as this was my first time seeing it in the flesh.

The other big disappointment was the shear lack of modern image UK layouts, there were only two that I could find?  So from my sons point of view, this was a big let-down.

Layouts we enjoyed the most, were the O gauge capstan shunning and the N gauge WCML (sorry forgot the layout names)

Spent a fair bit of money on a DCC loco and controller (planned) and a nice RealTrack FLA wagon (unplanned) but I wish I had taken a packed lunch cos I could of bought another wagon rather than spending £18 on a cold lunch for two (sandwiches, crisps and drinks).  What a rip off from the Racecourse caterers!  Should have guessed it was going to be expensive when they did not show any prices next to the food!

Having not been to the York show for quite a few years now, I had forgotten just how much up and down walking you have to do to get to each mezzanine floor level and to see everything, not my favourite floor plan for a show.

The good: Bus from station, under fives free, stewards, number of layouts, layout build quality, trade stand variety.

The bad; Food price, floor plan, lack of era coverage, excessive adherence to scale speed running

But would I go again, yes.

Took my 4 1/2 year old son to the show on Saturday and on the whole a really good day was had by the both of us and it also included a fast train ride down the ECML race track on Grand Central.

The layouts that were on show were good, very high quality and visually appealing, but I have to say that scale speed running and train frequency was too slow for me and especially too slow for a child.  I am sorry, but Diesels in the Duchy was painfully slow to watch; which was a major disappointment as this was my first time seeing it in the flesh.

The other big disappointment was the shear lack of modern image UK layouts, there were only two that I could find?  So from my sons point of view, this was a big let-down.

Layouts we enjoyed the most, were the O gauge capstan shunning and the N gauge WCML (sorry forgot the layout names)

Spent a fair bit of money on a DCC loco and controller (planned) and a nice RealTrack FLA wagon (unplanned) but I wish I had taken a packed lunch cos I could of bought another wagon rather than spending £18 on a cold lunch for two (sandwiches, crisps and drinks).  What a rip off from the Racecourse caterers!  Should have guessed it was going to be expensive when they did not show any prices next to the food!

Having not been to the York show for quite a few years now, I had forgotten just how much up and down walking you have to do to get to each mezzanine floor level and to see everything, not my favourite floor plan for a show.

The good: Bus from station, under fives free, stewards, number of layouts, layout build quality, trade stand variety.

The bad; Food price, floor plan, lack of era coverage, excessive adherence to scale speed running

But would I go again, yes.

The topic of scale running has been done before, but if I could just throw my twopenneth worth in............

I didn't manage to get to York this year - family commitments - however, looking at the layout list there, it would seem like the usual selection of high end models. The thing is, with layouts such as Diesels in the Duchy, they are Model Railways and not toy train sets. Layouts like this are the cream of modelling in the country, which is why they get shown at shows like York. You have to remember that you are viewing layouts from a birds eye view and as such, the running has to be done to scale speeds, otherwise it would just look ridiculous.

DITD is also a model of a shed. Sheds in real life do not have locos blasting up and down at 80mph - hence the scale appearance of the movement of trains within it.

I'm sure there were other layouts there that would have appealed to a 4 year old in respect of speed - but again, model railway shows are not arena's for scalextric type blasting around.

Not every layout I see at a show appeals to me, and tbh if I see a lyout that IS rocketing stuff unprotypically around, then I tend to move on. Please don't pan layouts that are works of art just because trains move around prototypically on them - it's all part of the 3D scene and enhances them rather than detracts.

cheers

Andy

DITD is also a model of a shed. Sheds in real life do not have locos blasting up and down at 80mph - hence the scale appearance of the movement of trains within it.

That may hold true for shunting within the depot confines but they also had freight rakes on the parallel running lines which crawled along at an unrealistic snails pace. TBH even the operator looked bored senseless as the 37 inched its way into the fiddle yard, taking over 5 minutes to cover half the length of the scenic board. Real life drivers just do not do that and for me, it did detract from the layout. You can only gaze admiringly at the 3D modelling for so long before the utter tedium of watching the same rake edge tentatively along overwhelms you. This might have been relieved if there had been more than that happening but the shed itself was not being shunted. I did like the layout but spent far less time watching it that I would have done as a result.

I agree with your other point that drag racing tail chasers are probably even worse. I thought Kinlet Wharf balanced everything nicely - appropriate speed, good scenic modelling and up to date (if a little mixed era-wise) full length trains (and I'm not usually one to watch N gauge).

I'm sure there were other layouts there that would have appealed to a 4 year old in respect of speed - but again, model railway shows are not arena's for scalextric type blasting around.

Not every layout I see at a show appeals to me, and tbh if I see a lyout that IS rocketing stuff unprotypically around, then I tend to move on. Please don't pan layouts that are works of art just because trains move around prototypically on them - it's all part of the 3D scene and enhances them rather than detracts.

I was not panning the layouts, as I originally said "The layouts that were on show were good, very high quality and visually appealing".  It was just that DiTD, whilst scenically superb and I loved the quality of the modelling, it was not much fun to watch (for me); of the three times I went to see it, I never saw anything move on the shed nor the turntable move and only ever saw one train moving at any one time?  I guess I was just unlucky at my timing?  I did enjoy seeing Kadees’ being used.

I totally agree with the view that tail chasers and unrealistic high speeds are a bit of a turn off.  Fortunately my son does not drive his trains at high speed as he likes building up rakes of wagons, loading and unloading them and generally playing at shunting (a bit odd I guess).

Top notch shows like York do have a great depth of content and exhibit the top end of modelling, which is great, I just think there needs to be a balance between realism and viewer enjoyability and therefore there need to be a bit of flexibility on the “theatrical performance” of any layout.

• RMweb Premium

Which trader (on one of the Mezzanine floors) was selling foam inserts to convert Really Useful Boxes into something more useful (i.e. stock-boxes)?

I really enjoyed this year's show - probably one of the best for some years.

I agree with the comments about slow (or non-existant) running on Diesels in the Duchy. It's an outstanding layout but I assumed the lack of movement was down to electical problem. I'm sure when I've seen it in the past there have been regular trains running past in addition to shunting locos around the depot. Hopefully there will be a bit more movement at Showcase next month.

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

Fair enough comments. Maybe Damian, who owns DITD, could throw some light as to whether he was having any difficulties?

Fortunately my son does not drive his trains at high speed as he likes building up rakes of wagons, loading and unloading them and generally playing at shunting (a bit odd I guess). - Not odd at all! Looks like your son has the potential as a modeller in the future. My 3 year old son just likes to make my locos move up and down my test track and sound the horn at the moment..........he's a work in progress!

cheers

Andy

I was not panning the layouts, as I originally said "The layouts that were on show were good, very high quality and visually appealing".  It was just that DiTD, whilst scenically superb and I loved the quality of the modelling, it was not much fun to watch (for me); of the three times I went to see it, I never saw anything move on the shed nor the turntable move and only ever saw one train moving at any one time?  I guess I was just unlucky at my timing?  I did enjoy seeing Kadees’ being used.

I must have arrived at rush hour then, there were three trains in motion at one point :)

If you see the fiddleyard it is set up for mainly shunting with the odd through service that has to be set up.  I guess it is run in a prototype fashion which is part of it's allure but also could be seen as a downfall as once you've gawped at the quality you might be yearning for some trains,  I've never seen the turntable in use, but given the time period portrayed I don't think it was being used very much by then.

There as a Midlands based model with a steel reception yard run in a similar fashion on the exhibition circuit a couple of years back, they got round the slow movement by having a small terminus station on a raised level that also hid the fiddleyard for the lower portion.  

The joy of a good exhibition is a mix of these highly detailed and well modelled location layouts which don't have a lot going on alongside busy layouts.

Re comment in #81, Sorry Jaggzuk but that is the design of the Knavesmire Stand! As you will realise from the name it is designed for watching horse racing. It is still, however, probably the best venue in York.  While a number of people do like modern image layouts, I sort of do provided that they are based on minimum gauge operation, an equally large, if not larger number like layouts from other eras of the development of railways.  At York we try to get a mix to suit most of the eras and scale/gauges. We do manage to satisfy all of the visitors some of the time and some of the visitors all of the time.  Can we ever satisfy all of the visitors all of the time? Unlikely I think. But we will keep trying.

Come to York next Easter and see how we have got on.

Peter

Peterl ;- Can we ever satisfy all of the visitors all of the time?

Perhaps York Show could follow the idea in MRJ, have a guest organiser every other year, see how their layout selection(s) work out..
NO, NO, NO, I mean it in jest... :jester:

Re comment in #81, Sorry Jaggzuk but that is the design of the Knavesmire Stand! As you will realise from the name it is designed for watching horse racing. It is still, however, probably the best venue in York.  While a number of people do like modern image layouts, I sort of do provided that they are based on minimum gauge operation, an equally large, if not larger number like layouts from other eras of the development of railways.  At York we try to get a mix to suit most of the eras and scale/gauges. We do manage to satisfy all of the visitors some of the time and some of the visitors all of the time.  Can we ever satisfy all of the visitors all of the time? Unlikely I think. But we will keep trying.

Come to York next Easter and see how we have got on.

Peter

Troutons is available - modern image with container yard WRMS

• RMweb Gold

I visited the show for the first time, on Sunday. I enjoyed it very much, but I too found some of the snails pace shunting on some layouts painful to watch for any length of time. Unfortunately this was on 2 of the diesel layouts I was looking forward to seeing the most. I don't believe real shunters would take things quite that slow. 10 mph is about 60mm per second in 4mm scale, but I saw nothing as fast as that.

What the hobby needs are less pundits and more doers - people that are willing to put themselves out there with layouts - in front of everyone else.

Did you realise the exhibition scene will disappear, it's dying with the ageing population? No probably not, you're too worried about the warranty on your purchase at the door.

We are some of the few 'relatively' younger people on the circuit. It's is already getting harder to get operators, we had two people for whole of the 3 days at York - we need 4.

Yes you paid to get in, but we volunteered and squeezed show in between our pressured jobs.

So why don't you all get building exhibition layouts?

I have, past and present.

I receive good and bad feedback, its part of going on show.

As I said in my post, I really liked the layout, the modelling was superb but the speed of operation made me walk off after 5 minutes of watching the same 37 push the same cargo wagons along the same length of track for that full 5 minutes. I walked past again later and the only thing happening was the same loco and rake creeping the other way.

Maybe I was there at the wrong time in your sequence?

• RMweb Gold

What the hobby needs are less pundits and more doers - people that are willing to put themselves out there with layouts - in front of everyone else.

Did you realise the exhibition scene will disappear, it's dying with the ageing population? No probably not, you're too worried about the warranty on your purchase at the door.

We are some of the few 'relatively' younger people on the circuit. It's is already getting harder to get operators, we had two people for whole of the 3 days at York - we need 4.

Yes you paid to get in, be we volunteered and squeezed show in between our pressured jobs.

Fully agree. Exhibitors give up their time, often take a day or more off work, cart their pride and joy, which has almost certainly cost thousands of pounds and hours, around the country and all for expenses. Don't get me wrong we enjoy it and put on the best display we can, which is why we do it but I must admit I, and I'm sure others, feel no great obligation just because punters have paid a couple of quid on the door. If you don't like what you are looking at, go look at something else. At a show like York there is always a wide range of high quality exhibits to suit all tastes so if you can't find something you like you're in the wrong hobby.

I, and I know Damian, build what we like and there are thankfully plenty of people with similar tastes such that we are booked out for years in advance. If DITD is not to your taste then build and exhibit something that is. Theres plenty of room for new blood and something different on the circuit.

Jerry

• RMweb Gold

Yes you paid to get in, be we volunteered and squeezed show in between our pressured jobs.

....... and for that, many thanks, from one of the majority who obviously enjoyed the show very much.

I quite like the open space feeling of the show spread across the three floors and mezzanines too.

I have, past and present.

I receive good and bad feedback, its part of going on show.

As I said in my post, I really liked the layout, the modelling was superb but the speed of operation made me walk off after 5 minutes of watching the same 37 push the same cargo wagons along the same length of track for that full 5 minutes. I walked past again later and the only thing happening was the same loco and rake creeping the other way.

Maybe I was there at the wrong time in your sequence?

Thanks for the feedback.

You were there at the wrong time - sometimes nothing happened.

Just ignore the layout the next time you see it.

Perhaps Kirkmellington could copy DITD, it's set in the early 70's, say end Jan, early Feb... '72
Miners national strike, 3 day week, nothing moved hardly at all.......  :nono:

When I've seen DITD, there has normally been some reasonable movement going on, but it's always possible to visit a layout twice and see the same part of a sequence.
On 'Hartwell' back in the late '90's, there was a simple sequence scheduled by the owners which took about 7 - 8 mins to perform.. As one of the guest operators, that was my time to go and get the coffee etc., it was boring.

I've always enjoyed York show, but due to distance from my new abode, I do not get the chance to visit so often.
I can remember the '74 coal strike as Worcester MRC exhibited 'Devizes' at Stafford during the concurrent oil crisis, the problems trying to get enough petrol for the journey was not clever.

Archived