cheap multi tool

nigelb

Not much info wrt speeds, size etc. I think you would spend a lot of time swapping from one set-up to another, and spare parts would most likely be a problem. Delivery cost and import/vat would add to the price. Looking at their shop, a few useful bits and pieces, but not much detailed descriptions.  Although more expensive, Axminster and others supply small lathes and mills, of more standard construction. A small lathe would be more use, a vertical slide lets you use it as a mill, and other attachments for a table saw, whatever.

hth

Best wishes,

Ray

It looks like a knock-off of one of Unimat's current range (I forget the official nomenclature). If it's a good copy, it should be a useful tool if used within its capacity. If it's a close copy, it may be possible to utilise Unimat spares and accessories, thus negating possible problems with after-sales service from the manufacturer.

Nigel,

If it is similar to the Unimat 1, then it is only of use turning plastic or wood, or at most aluminium. So not much use for 2mmFS or anything else. You'd be better off buying a second-hand Unimat SL or 3 on eBay, a well-maintained one of course. You can find a basic used Unimat for about £150-200. (Other makes of quality small lathes are available too!)

Alternatively, look at the Proxxon range of tools: http://www.proxxon-direct.com/

I'd advise you to always invest your money in decent quality tools, never cheap ones. And then enjoy learning to use them!

• RMweb Gold

Looks like a knock-off of the Unimat 1

http://hobby.uk.com/power-tools/unimat-1.html

It's coming from China, so there'll be duty & VAT to pay and our glorious Royal Mail will charge you extra for the privilege of collecting that from you.

Probably not much of a saving compared with buying the Unimat 1 in the UK.

I've seem some good work done with the Unimat 1, when used within it's capabilities.  For 2mm components, it's not too bad.

Archived