Hornby Magazine Design Manual

edcayton

Picked this up in Asda yesterday, can't find any mention of it on here yet. In my view it is very much a "Curate's egg".

There are some good plans in it, but some are hopelessly non-feasible with radii down to around 6 inches! Several of the plans are in a pseudo-isometric view which is too dark to see properly

I do not need yet another book telling me where to put a layout or how to insulate the loft or build baseboards. There are also some howlers in the text-"Setrack isn't just for beginners.It is a great way to get started in railway modelling"-Der!

If you are an avid collector of track plans (like me) then it's worth the £5.99, but it's not as good as the recent BRM book.

Ed

• 5 weeks later...

I think this and the BRM track plan book are designed to appeal to as wide an audience as possible. I bought digital versions of both just to give me some ideas, I don't intend to copy plans slavishly but to incorporate elements into my layout.

With publications like this there are always sections that you don't need to refer to if you are experienced but there is always something new that can be learned.

I think both publications are useful and worth the purchase price.

Edited by daftbovine

• 3 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...