BRM November + 4 FREE gifts!

Sorry you found it difficult to build but I try to make my kits as realistic as possible. I often find that people have trouble with the very small parts by trying to manipulate them with just their fingers rather than using a fine pair of tweezers. With the wraparounds I like to make them slightly larger than needed so that they can be trimmed if necessary. Providing the card you are using is the correct thickness for the scale you are modelling in the parts should fit easily.

i appreciate that you are trying to hide as many white edges as possible, and that it is a problem.

A lot depends on what you define as  medium and heavy card.

Heavy card I would define as around 2mm thick, which is OK until you attempt part 22, if you have chosen 2mm card as your heavy card, you find when attempting this instruction that there is actually very little card to wrap over and hide white edges, resulting in it failing to stick.

If you use 2mm card, folding the flaps back on the doors and windows is impossible.

Adding tabs to join parts at corners would be an improvement, sandwiching wraps between layers to hide edges would be another, these are items used by other card kit sites.

If I were to attempt this again, I think I would disregard some of the instructions as you have set out, and fix wraps to base card prior to assembly, not only would that be easier in the long run, it would IMO result in a better looking model.

I have to add that I wasn't looking forward to cutting out and fixing 2 A4 sheets of slates either !

and while mentioning the slates, why have you gone to the trouble of detailing the battens the slates fix to, when after fixing said slates the batten work cannot be seen ?

The thickness of the Heavy, Medium and Light card are explained on the first page of every set of instructions for OO scale they are 2mm for heavy card, 1mm for medium card and 300gsm card for the light card.

I don't understand your problem with part 22. Shed Platform front 1 is a base part and has nothing wrapping around it. Its a simple rectangle of card that you cut out and stick in place. There is nothing else to do with that part.

The battens go on the underside of the roof. You have the roof base upside down.

• Administrators

Just wondered if someone could help? I purchased a copy today in the Tesco store in Thurrock, Lakeside and there were no DVD or details of how to download the goods shed in my copy, but all of them were the same? I did expect it to be wrapped in a bag, but all the issues on sale were just open with a card stating 4 free gifts sticking out of the top. I did look through to see if any others contained the DVD, but presumed you would have to send for it? But on getting home and reading through i can see nothing about how to access the goods store, albeit a good article on how to build it, so are there items missing -or am I just being stupid? Any help gratefully appreciated. Many thanks

Andrew Palmer

Hi Andrew,

All copies should have a free DVD attached. Please send me your address and I'll get a DVD sent out: stevec@warnersgroup.co.uk

Steve

Blame the cistern.

My only annoyance with November BRM is that you didn't bring forward the publication date just for me so I could pick up a printed copy before I fly home. Honestly, no consideration!

You can get them at Chapters in Calgary, its a lot closer than going to the UK!  Of course I don't think the DVD will work here as we are in a different region to the UK.

However I will have to keep an eye out for it at Chapters in Crowfoot, should take about 1 month to get here if they get it at all!

• RMweb Gold

Thanks JSP3970, I use the free program VLC on my computer which refuses to mess about with DVD zones, and will play anything.

I have to say I was joking I'm afraid, I have a digital copy using Pocketmags.co.uk, it's a lot more certain than hoping they get to western Canada - and about 1/3 to 1/2 of the price.

• Moderators

I cant get the link given for the road rail trailer's to work has anyone got a link they could post here please?

Connor

Hello Connor,

The link points to here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/1535-brm-blog/

Phil is 'down under' at the moment, but look out for his post in this section upon his return after this weekend.

Howard

Hello Connor,

The link points to here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/1535-brm-blog/

Phil is 'down under' at the moment, but look out for his post in this section upon his return after this weekend.

Howard

Hi,

Its the link for the drawings im looking for, if I remember correctly it was this in the magazine http://bit.ly/1m8omax but it doesn't seem to work?

Connor

• RMweb Gold

Have to say I really enjoyed reading the Nov issue

What really made it for me was the coverage of Roundtrees, a superb layout which I spent a considerable time watching at the GCR event earlier this year. I suspect that editors find it a bit of a juggling act giving each layout sufficient coverage but also allowing space within the mag for a good range of articles. I'm glad the decision was made to devote 9 pages to Roundtrees, more than most layouts but wholly deserved. I do find myself sometimes wanting to know more about a layout but can also see that the DVD will help in this respect and look forward to seeing how this develops

R-O-T (a happy subscriber!)

Just wondered if someone could help? I purchased a copy today in the Tesco store in Thurrock, Lakeside and there were no DVD or details of how to download the goods shed in my copy, but all of them were the same? I did expect it to be wrapped in a bag, but all the issues on sale were just open with a card stating 4 free gifts sticking out of the top. I did look through to see if any others contained the DVD, but presumed you would have to send for it? But on getting home and reading through i can see nothing about how to access the goods store, albeit a good article on how to build it, so are there items missing -or am I just being stupid? Any help gratefully appreciated. Many thanks

Andrew Palmer

You are not alone Andrew.  I went to my local Morrison's store today intending to buy a copy but the ones on display had no DVD nor any of the other free gifts.  I asked a member of staff about it and was assured that no DVD or anything else was included.  I think Warners have a problem here with their distribution which needs to be addressed.  I confess to being rather dissapointed and needless to say I did not buy the magazine.  

Sorry guys but this needs sorting if you are going to continue advertising these freebies.

I noticed in Sainsburys the other day that there were more DVDs lying at the bottom of the shelf along with various inserts, than there were mags left. It looks like there must have been a few people missing their DVDS when they got home. The one that did still have its DVD attached was heading that way too as it looked like it was fixed on with very little tack adhesive. Can't understand why it wasn't bagged, no doubt a false economy.

Pete

Magazine looked good. But the cover price has now gone beyond what I can justify. Yes there is a DVD & a kit. But the kit though it looks very good is the wrong scale for me. And the DVD how ever interesting. Well it isn't free if the cover price has gone up by so much! I decided to spend my money on a second hand railway book on ebay instead. Probably the Bacup issue will be the last BRM I buy. Unless many others do as I did & put it back on the shelf! Thanks at least for this website. I hope there are no plans to change that, Unfortunately we don't all have access to tablets. But I suppose there will come a point were the traditional magazine becomes totally uneconomic to produce & disappears completely. Trouble is I can't take my PC to bed or to work with me..... If I had a tablet I would probably leave it on the train. Or drop it.  :scratchhead:

The free kit on the DVD is scalable. So if you aren't using N or OO scale you can still use the kit for example if you wanted O scale you caould print the OO scale kit out at 175% or if you wanted 3mm scale you could print it at 75%. you just need to work out the percentage enlargement or reduction you need. 

• Administrators

Sorry for the delay. The original yellow trailer feature was postponed a month and by the time the magazine hit the shops, I was on the other side of the world talking to the British Railway Modellers of Australia and well away from the files I needed.

Anyway, the plan for the PW trailer and prototype photos can now be found on the BRM Blog.

SkipWagon.jpg

• Administrators

No wonder it took the guy in the magazine ten hours, it's not very builder friendly, the wraps just don't work properly unless you have cut out the card with laser precision, and the to clue to card, THEN try to fold flaps back is next to impossible.

After attempting that one I shall be sticking  ( no pun intended) to Model Railway Scenery, much easier for my fat fingers.

To be fair, ALL the printable kits on the market take a long while to build and you do have to cut the card carefully if you want to produce a really good model. People assume that because they are made of paper and card, kits made this way are very simple. This isn't always the case, while not difficult, care is required. At least if you mess up a bit, it can be reprinted for another go. With practise, you don't need to do this as much but don't be afraid to discard a bit and do it again.

The finished results are very impressive. I really like the colouring of the stone work on the goods shed kit for example. You'd be hard pressed to paint plastic sheet as realistically.

I will agree that my kits are more complicated and take longer to build than a pre-printed card kit but they are a lot more detailed and realistic. I am trying to make kits that anyone can build and produce an exhibition quality building with having to years of practice with a paint brush or advanced modelling skills. Digital kits allow new modelers to make mistakes and try again without having to buy a whole new kit. but obviously the more time and care you take with a model the better the results are going to be. 

• RMweb Gold

I'm having no luck accessing the DVD content via the digital edition on my Android tablet. All I get is a black screen - have tried several times over the last 10 days. I have no issues streaming content otherwise.

Also, I wanted to download the card kit on my PC via the pocketmags website. The Silverlight reader crashes in both Firefox and IE, and the older reader doesn't support embedded links..... Am I supposed to install the BRM app on my PC as well to get this to work?

All in all, not very satisfactory.....

Edit: for info :

The version of Silverlight installed is:
Silverlight 5 (5.1.30514.0)

• Moderators

I'm having no luck accessing the DVD content via the digital edition on my Android tablet. All I get is a black screen - have tried several times over the last 10 days. I have no issues streaming content otherwise.

Also, I wanted to download the card kit on my PC via the pocketmags website. The Silverlight reader crashes in both Firefox and IE, and the older reader doesn't support embedded links..... Am I supposed to install the BRM app on my PC as well to get this to work?

All in all, not very satisfactory.....

Edit: for info :

The version of Silverlight installed is:

Silverlight 5 (5.1.30514.0)

Hello,

We'll get the chaps at Magcloner on the case. Please PM me your hardware details (tablet device + computer). They should be in touch shortly.

Regards,

Howard

Archived