Hayle Blockade 8th - 23rd Novemeber 2014

Hi there

Thought I'd start a new thread for the forthcoming 2 week long Engineering Possession (T3) of the mainline between Truro & St Erth. There are various worksites within the blockade, the main one being the renovation of two viaducts near Hayle, Guldford (masonary) & Hayle (Timber deck).

There will be considerable changes to the timetable, with trains terminating at Truro on the down & restarting, and a shuttle ruinning Penzance to St Erth. The St Ives & Falmouth services will be running too, though with amendments. The down Sleepers will terminate at Plymouth, but the Up Sleepers will be starting at Truro each evening, with the loco running around the stock around 10pm most evenings. This will worth seeing for many on these threads!

I will add updates about the various worksites, I have it on good authority a convoy of Engineering trains are expected to enter the possession on the first weekend from the Truro end - so this will bring some interesting moves to the area.

Could everyone please keep this thread on topic, pictures welcome - but please dont clog it up with speculation, gripes etc...

• 5 weeks later...

Well, we're a week away from the big event. The plans are in place for the train service. Par will become a "virtual" FGW depot each night as a HST & 4 units are serviced, watered & cleaned there. Temporary buildings have sprung up there, as well as water pipes along the platforms.

The main event for most on here will be the engineers trains whiuch will arrive in the parish from Friday night onwards. Owls among you may find Truro an interesting spot after midnight Friday. 6 trains are due at 1/2 hourly intervals well in the small hours. All of which will arrive on the DM from the Par direction, and then cross over to the Up.

The convoy of trains made it through Truro last night with 2 exceptions. A train was left in Lostwithiel DGL & one in Par DGL. The work begins Sat night (8th).

I took a wander out to the Baldhu area to see the trains lined up ready for action, and they made a remarkable sight. the rakes on the UM covered a distance of nearly 3/4 of mile, with only a few gaps. Here are some pictures.

The locos were Colas rails 66847 / 850 / 70808 / 806

post-2613-0-70593000-1415469406_thumb.jpeg

post-2613-0-62527400-1415469419_thumb.jpeg

post-2613-0-19365000-1415469429_thumb.jpeg

post-2613-0-41610800-1415469647_thumb.jpeg

post-2613-0-60221800-1415469658_thumb.jpeg

post-2613-0-96848400-1415469666_thumb.jpeg

I was on site last night at Truro and speaking to staff it turns out that one of the Colas 70's would not start and was replaced by a hired in Freightliner 66. This was required back on Taunton by Saturday so had to be swapped out on route with a Colas 70 on one of the other engineers trains with 2 engines on. I assume this caused a delay and meant two trains were held back.  

• RMweb Gold

I was on site last night at Truro and speaking to staff it turns out that one of the Colas 70's would not start and was replaced by a hired in Freightliner 66. This was required back on Taunton by Saturday so had to be swapped out on route with a Colas 70 on one of the other engineers trains with 2 engines on. I assume this caused a delay and meant two trains were held back.  

I will get the full story when I check the various logs, but I would assume that the FLHH Class 66 is required on the High Output train (6X07 - HOBCS or support train 6Y08) to St Annes Park tonight.

The weekend of 15th / 16th sees a couple of Engineers trains down.

Sat 15th

6C20 20.44 Exeter Riverside to Truro - passes Par at 23.12

6C21 21.18 Exeter Riverside to Truro passes Par 23.56

Sun 16th

6C21 15.00 Truro to Exeter Riverside

The schedule for the return of 6C20 Mon 17th currently shows cancelled.

Also the Railvac is due at Lostwithiel Sat evening - possibly class 56 hauled.

It arrives Sat 15th 22.44

Due to depart Mon 17th 04.50 running via Par back to Chaddeston

I think I must have been on the "last through train from Penzance to Paddington!"

The sleeper train on the Friday night (7th), a journey I'm in no hurry to repeat....wheelflats and sleeper berths don't mix well.

Hope it's all going OK..

Jon F

• RMweb Premium
Jon Fitness, on 15 Nov 2014 - 08:26, said:

I think I must have been on the "last through train from Penzance to Paddington!"

The sleeper train on the Friday night (7th), a journey I'm in no hurry to repeat....wheelflats and sleeper berths don't mix well.

Hope it's all going OK..

Jon F

That is the only problem with a sleeper at this time of year! Your chances of getting a wheel set with a flat is unfortunately high!

• 2 months later...

Sorry Craig,

Just stumbled across this thread for the first time - a very interesting insight into today's railways, particularly with the input of those currently 'in the job'. Fantastic set of pictures as usual!

Thank you and kind regards,

Jock.

Archived