Diesels in the Lake District (Furness & CKPR Lines)

Alex TM

• RMweb Premium

Hi folks,

My wife and I recently spent a few days exploring parts of the Lake District, picking up a couple of books on the railways of the area while there.  There is a lot of information, it seems, out there especially of the kind that would be useful to modellers.

What I cannot seem to find, though, is much on the diesels that operated the lines in their last few years.  The books, and the online searches, have turned up plenty of pictures of blue 2-car108s, and some pictures of green Derby Lightweights.  There are also images of 40s and a 50 on some Keswick Convention specials, but I found only one of a diesel ( a class 24) on what looked like local traffic (out of Lakeside).

Can anyone point me to any printed or digital images of diesel locomotives on routine work in the area?

Many thanks in advance.

Regards,

Alex.

• RMweb Premium

I suppose we're mostly talking about lines that would've gone from steam to DMUs so not much scope for regular diesel working. Perhaps the Windermere branch? Did direct long-distance trains still go there when they were likely to have moved away from steam?

edit sorry, just spotted "Furness and CKPR lines".

• RMweb Premium

Hi folks,

Thanks for the responses.  I have had a look at the CRA site and the only diesel era pic other than DMUs and Keswick Specials was a Co-Bo.  I wonder if a part of the challenge is that the like is the CKPR didn't last long after the demise of steam.

Anyway, thanks again for the help.

Regards,

Alex.

• RMweb Gold

Don't forget the CKPR was one of the first lines in the north to go over to DMU operation (early Derby Lightweight sets originally) although freight remained steam hauled but the route west of Keswick was severely weight restricted and I reckon it's unlikely it ever saw much in the way of dieselised freight.  East of Keswick would have been a different matter as I believe the freight service survived beyond the end of steam in the north west but it would have been steam worked well into 1967 and possibly even into 1968 alongside the dmu passenger service.

These are the only photo's i've managed to find of Diesels on the CKPR, Aas stationmaster has already said,west of Keswick was a light loading gauge and once the end of steam came it was all DMU's.

post-13979-0-42791000-1412360964_thumb.jpg

D313 Keswick

post-13979-0-95598400-1412361013_thumb.jpg

25 on Mosedale viaduct

post-13979-0-02025200-1412361029_thumb.jpg

D2118 on a wrecking train(track lifting)

and my only other diesel is at Lakeside

post-13979-0-53731800-1412360994_thumb.jpg

D5016 lakeside

Ray

• RMweb Premium

Hi folks,

Thanks for these additional contributions and the time behind them.  The photos of the 25 and the 03 are particularly helpful as they are new to me.  Interesting, too, to read of the weight restrictions on the line as this would explain a lot.

I have picked up another book on the area, although it seems to have a companion volume so I'll be on the lookout for that.

Again, many thanks for your interest and efforts; they are all appreciated.

Regards,

Alex.

Archived