Diesel Hydraulic Era O Gauge Garden Railway (Steve Beattie Class 22)

Hi Phill,

Thanks for that i think i might take you up on the Cockade plates. Just need to find a colour image of her in battered GFYP. Or i might do Sprightly in battered GSYP. MMmmm decisions decisions. I think i might do D815 Druid in battered MFYP as ive seen a pic of her at PZ in this livery.

Cheers Rob

I think it's a 'H& M Clipper' actually  :tomato: ......I use it with some crocodile clips for cleaning track powered loco wheels :locomotive:   :)

You are right Phill, Mines a Clipper, only the one knob, I wasn't lucky enough to have a Duette me and my brother had to share we only had the one track and a siding.

Happy days watching the trains go round and laughing when they came off, and seeing how long the train would keep going. Watching the sparks when the light was turned off. I always like the smell of the motor too.

Like the latest pics too I do like the old Warships, though never saw any in service. I did get some Haulage on a Hymek on the East Lancs a few years back though, a real beast with plenty of thrash.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

Hi Phill

Some weathering tips would be great - those grampuses (grampi?) look spot-on to me.

:)

This really made me chuckle as Grampi has always been a little joke of ours for the plural of Grampus..

How great minds think alike :) :)

Ross...

• Like 1

Well no modeling for me this weekend as I have been doing essential repairs to the Withercombe HQ's ....

post-6992-0-86716000-1417374859_thumb.jpg

This building houses Withercombe station, fiddle yard & now my workshop & couple of annoying leaks in the roof appeared in the recent heavy rain, hopefully this is now sorted & I can get back to the conversion of the Warships & Westerns to radio control.

Phill  :)

• Like 5

Diesel Weathering Guide

As requested here is a guide to some of the weathering techniques I have used on the loco's for Withercombe. The first & most important thing to do (I would say), is to study as many prototype pics as possible & for especially extreme examples such as D824 & D7013 I use photo's of the actual loco rather than general pics of class members.

So first of all we shall look at my class 47 1666 Odin, which simply uses 2 aerosols & a 3 inch paint brush & lots of thinners/white spirit (as you will see most of the paint is removed for the final effect)

I sprayed the the chassis & body shell roof with a aerosol of 'Kaos Black' (wargame paint). The chassis was then given a light dusting of Rail Match 'Sleeper Grime'. The chassis now looks fine so I turned my attention back to the body shell, I sprayed the body sides & front ends with more 'Kaos ' black, at this point you take a look at your once beautiful model & think :shock: 'OH MY GOD , WHAT HAVE I DONE' :shock: , but don't panic :lol: , most of this coat is now removed with lots of cotton buds & white spirit using a vertical action, when I was reasonably happy with this I then brushed downward with a 3 inch paint brush with yet more white spirit & left to dry. The loco was now looking much better IMO, but the roof required a bit more work. So to improve things I gave the roof a light spray of Rail Match ' Dirty Black' with a touch of Halfords 'Matt Black' around the exhaust ports .

post-6992-0-58382600-1417718589.jpg

For the more extereme weathering such as this...........

post-6992-0-14993900-1417718665.jpg

I use a fiber glass pen to wear away the paint (down to primer) in places to get the faded appearance, the process described for the class 47 is then repeated. With D824 Highfler I then gouged some paint chips & added thinned rust which touched with more thinners & allowed to run down the body.

For oil leaks such as the one below on Western Ranger I used a mix of Humberol Metal Coat & Matt black.....

post-6992-0-70353400-1417718732.jpg

If a more oily appearance is required on the bogies, then a further thinned wash of Metal Coat/Matt Black can be applied over the original 'Track Grime' such as the class 47 earlier , as I have done on Hymek D7013 below.

post-6992-0-05269600-1417718885.jpg

I hope this helps :)

Phill

• Like 11

Next I thought we would have a look at the permanent way train which is usually found stabled in Withercombes yard.

post-6992-0-55298200-1417798734.jpg

First of all we will have a look at one of the ex-GWR Diagram AA23 Toad brake vans in the rake. Interestingly this van was running round on BR(WR) the 1970's in GWR livery!!  :O . I researched this vehicle & it was apparently left behind after a stock movement at the fledgling Dart Valley Railway (now the South Devon Railway), in the confusion this BR owned vehicle was returned to it original GWR livery by DVR volunteers. At a later date BR(WR) noticed one of their brake vans was missing!  :dontknow: & reclaimed this now GWR  liveried Toad back.........hence it running round in the 1970's in GWR grey with it GWR lettering blacked out.

The model is a humble Lima O gauge model, this van had already been quite nicely converted to a GWR era model..........

post-6992-0-61148700-1417799995_thumb.jpg

First job was to fade the vehical to the shade of the prototype in the 70's.......

post-6992-0-11452400-1417800158_thumb.jpg

I then set to scratchbuilding various details from scrap plasticard & plastruct..... 

post-6992-0-87586600-1417800253_thumb.jpg

post-6992-0-02734500-1417800275_thumb.jpg

post-6992-0-00017200-1417800298_thumb.jpg

Then my favorite part.......the weathering!

post-6992-0-92212500-1417800425_thumb.jpg

post-6992-0-80983400-1417800455_thumb.jpg

post-6992-0-24479800-1417800473_thumb.jpg

The end result is I hope an interesting & unusual vehicle for around a tenner & a few enjoyable hours modelling.

Cheers Phill 

• Like 8

Diesel Weathering Guide

As requested here is a guide to some of the weathering techniques I have used on the loco's for Withercombe. The first & most important thing to do (I would say), is to study as many prototype pics as possible & for especially extreme examples such as D824 & D7013 I use photo's of the actual loco rather than general pics of class members.

So first of all we shall look at my class 47 1666 Odin, which simply uses 2 aerosols & a 3 inch paint brush & lots of thinners/white spirit (as you will see most of the paint is removed for the final effect)

I sprayed the the chassis & body shell roof with a aerosol of 'Kaos Black' (wargame paint). The chassis was then given a light dusting of Rail Match 'Sleeper Grime'. The chassis now looks fine so I turned my attention back to the body shell, I sprayed the body sides & front ends with more 'Kaos ' black, at this point you take a look at your once beautiful model & think :shock: 'OH MY GOD , WHAT HAVE I DONE' :shock: , but don't panic :lol: , most of this coat is now removed with lots of cotton buds & white spirit using a vertical action, when I was reasonably happy with this I then brushed downward with a 3 inch paint brush with yet more white spirit & left to dry. The loco was now looking much better IMO, but the roof required a bit more work. So to improve things I gave the roof a light spray of Rail Match ' Dirty Black' with a touch of Halfords 'Matt Black' around the exhaust ports .

attachicon.gif47 7.JPG

For the more extereme weathering such as this...........

attachicon.gifXL802692.JPG

I use a fiber glass pen to wear away the paint (down to primer) in places to get the faded appearance, the process described for the class 47 is then repeated. With D824 Highfler I then gouged some paint chips & added thinned rust which touched with more thinners & allowed to run down the body.

For oil leaks such as the one below on Western Ranger I used a mix of Humberol Metal Coat & Matt black.....

attachicon.gifSunday Afternon RMW-1.jpg

If a more oily appearance is required on the bogies, then a further thinned wash of Metal Coat/Matt Black can be applied over the original 'Track Grime' such as the class 47 earlier , as I have done on Hymek D7013 below.

attachicon.gifXL806271.JPG

I hope this helps :)

Phill

Hi Phill,

Thanks so much for that - the finished results look superb!

I was wondering how the thinners would wash off the Chaos Black as the rattle can is an acrylic(?) - I have one of two 'friendly' products I am trialling that seem to remove touch dry acrylic - but you didnt seem to have any problems though, superb! The issue with acrylics is that when set, very often, they can only be removed with acetone (not good on a plastic model - eeeekk!!).

Next I thought we would have a look at the permanent way train which is usually found stabled in Withercombes yard.

attachicon.gifpost-6992-0-81032700-1416765006_thumb.jpg

First of all we will have a look at one of the ex-GWR Diagram AA23 Toad brake vans in the rake. Interestingly this van was running round on BR(WR) the 1970's in GWR livery!!  :O . I researched this vehicle & it was apparently left behind after a stock movement at the fledgling Dart Valley Railway (now the South Devon Railway), in the confusion this BR owned vehicle was returned to it original GWR livery by DVR volunteers. At a later date BR(WR) noticed one of their brake vans was missing!  :dontknow: & reclaimed this now GWR  liveried Toad back.........hence it running round in the 1970's in GWR grey with it GWR lettering blacked out.

The model is a humble Lima O gauge model, this van had already been quite nicely converted to a GWR era model..........

attachicon.gifXL808196.JPG

First job was to fade the vehical to the shade of the prototype in the 70's.......

attachicon.gifXL808203.JPG

I then set to scratchbuilding various details from scrap plasticard & plastruct..... 

attachicon.gifXL808211-001.JPG

attachicon.gifXL808226-001.JPG

attachicon.gifXL808228.JPG

Then my favorite part.......the weathering!

attachicon.gifXL808234-001.JPG

attachicon.gifXL808235-001.JPG

attachicon.gifXL808236.JPG

The end result is I hope an interesting & unusual vehicle for around a tenner & a few enjoyable hours modelling.

Cheers Phill 

Cracking model, I really love what you have done with it!

Kindest regards,

CME

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

Hi Phill,

Thanks so much for that - the finished results look superb!

I was wondering how the thinners would wash off the Chaos Black as the rattle can is an acrylic(?) - I have one of two 'friendly' products I am trialling that seem to remove touch dry acrylic - but you didnt seem to have any problems though, superb! The issue with acrylics is that when set, very often, they can only be removed with acetone (not good on a plastic model - eeeekk!!).

Cracking model, I really love what you have done with it!

Kindest regards,

CME

You will need to remove Heljan glazing first though as it is not as keen on white spirit as me! :nono: ...........I learned that one the hard way  :banghead:

Phill :)

Edited by Phill Dyson (onslaught832)

I picked up this bargain bucket wheel-less Skytrex wagon at a local show as  a potential addition to the Withercombe P/ Way  train...........

post-6992-0-68733000-1417893353_thumb.jpg

First of all I painted the interior & picked out the odd plank with enamels.......

post-6992-0-37367300-1417893436_thumb.jpg

I then picked out the iron work on the with thinned gunmetal & gave the rest of the wagon a thinned wash of mat black.........

post-6992-0-57704600-1417893502_thumb.jpg

When the enamels have thoroughly dried I continued the weathering with abrasives & then acrylics. I  also added some interior bits & bobs picked up from local shows, which have been suitably painted & weathered toosmile.png

post-6992-0-00175900-1417893586_thumb.jpg 

post-6992-0-98567700-1417894014_thumb.jpg

post-6992-0-48612100-1417894072_thumb.jpg

& finally here is the completed wagon as part of the P/Way train........

post-6992-0-51897500-1417895110_thumb.jpg

Cheers Phill :)

• Like 13

• 2 weeks later...

As part of my current project to have some radio controlled loco's ( I presently have 35,42 & 52 chassis). I have started work on a replacement for my Triang conversion D7054, I obtained a Heljan GNYE body shell for this purpose...........   

post-6992-0-91499800-1418670773_thumb.jpg

First job was to add yellow panels so this loco could become D7054 (the last operatrional GSYP Hymek)

post-6992-0-65625000-1418670907_thumb.jpg

I also took the opportunity to paint the inside of the window frames black to disguise the thickness of the body shell.....

post-6992-0-30860000-1418671293_thumb.jpg

Finally for today I did one of my least favorite Hymek jobs, those dammed stainless numbers.......I think I've just about got them straight(I will do the other side tomorrow)

post-6992-0-80923200-1418671493_thumb.jpg

One question, does anyone know where I can obtain some horns for this loco?

Cheers Phill 

Edited by Phill Dyson (onslaught832)
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Think things are hard getting Hymek numerals straight in 7mm Phill - try in 4mm! I've done seven locos now, including a D7054. Gives me a migraine just thinking about doing it, and I've a fair few more to.do. Keep up the top quality work in this great thread.

Neil

As part of my current project to have some radio controlled loco's ( I presently have 35,42 & 52 chassis). I have started work on a replacement for my Triang conversion D7054, I obtained a Heljan GNYE body shell for this purpose...........   

attachicon.gifD7054 NP.jpg

First job was to add yellow panels so this loco could become D7054 (the last operatrional GSYP Hymek)

attachicon.gifD7054MT.jpg

I also took the opportunity to paint the inside of the window frames black to disguise the thickness of the body shell.....

attachicon.gifD7054.jpg

Finally for today I did one of my least favorite Hymek jobs, those dammed stainless numbers.......I think I've just about got them straight(I will do the other side tomorrow)

attachicon.gifD7054 NMBR.jpg

One question, does anyone know where I can obtain some horns for this loco?

Cheers Phill 

Oh Phill how I envy you! :)  :yes:

Looking forward to seeing how your conversion progresses. :good:

Kindest,

CME

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I'd like to create the faded BR "Ferret and dartboard" totem, as carried by our old dear departed friend. I had wondered soaking some transfers in dilute bleach, but not had the courage to do so. By the mid 1970s most green diesels had very faded totems - any ideas?

Neil